Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Ouch, glad I didn't get a catch can.
... or a dealer that sucks. His situation should have never gone that far.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
Pwiegand

Drives: 2018 ZL1 in sweet hyper blue
Sorry you are having such troubles but glad the dealer is treating you right. Sometime hard to find a dealer with a good shop. Been to VIR a couple of times myself and can relate to your fun on the track, especially the back stretch. Cresting that hill at the end made me pucker every time. Safe travels back to DC!
Pwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #17
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
You should find it hard to believe, because they can't require you to use factory parts. They would have to prove the oil filter was the cause of the issue.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

"Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."

I don't find it hard to believe. A lot of people are using the Wix 57060(XP) oil filter on their SS's at least( not sure on ZL1's). The 57060 bypass is 12 PSI where the OEM filter PF64 has a 22 PSI bypass. GM can use that saying the 57060 doesn't meet OEM spec, bye bye powertrain warranty.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #18
AspiringCarGuy

Drives: 2018 Red Hot M6 ZL1
Pwiegand- indeed. At 140+ mph, the crest on the back straight is exhilarating. I wasn’t actually airborne, but the car and the steering gets real light for a second there. Quite a feeling at 140 being an object of pure inertia...
AspiringCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #19
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringCarGuy View Post
Pwiegand- indeed. At 140+ mph, the crest on the back straight is exhilarating. I wasn’t actually airborne, but the car and the steering gets real light for a second there. Quite a feeling at 140 being an object of pure inertia...
yeah...I'm still waiting for my first track day, but would prefer to keep it on the rails.
Attached Images

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #20
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Hi all- long time lurker, first time poster. Bought my M6 ZL1 new last August, and have been enjoying each of the nearly 14K miles I've put on it. Finally got it to the track Monday and Tuesday this week- part of an SCDA event at Virginia International Raceway. Quick shameless plug: the SCDA event was awesome! I learned a lot, met some great people, and my instructor was exceptional. VIR is a great track.

The car exceeded my expectations. It was 97+ degrees and humid both days, and the car never strayed from normal operating temperature no matter how long I kept the go pedal mashed to the floor. My instructor and I agreed to keep it below 140 mph on the back straight. I complied, mostly.

After the last lap of the last event of the last day, I did a cool down lap without incident. I pulled into pit lane, and at 25 mph, the low oil pressure warning came on the dash and the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. I quickly pulled into the paddock and killed the ignition within 30 seconds of the warning indicator. I checked the oil level after letting it cool for a half hour- the oil level remained at the top of the dipstick hashed region the entire time. I followed the high performance manual supplement and used a Dexos 2 qualified 5W40 oil for track duty. Ended up getting it towed to the closest Chevy dealer. Bottom line: the oil pump failed and has to be replaced. I am still in southern VA- a new pump had to be overnighted to the dealer and if it arrives in time, it will be installed tomorrow and I can drive home tomorrow night. I give GM credit- all parts and labor are covered by the warranty, the tow was free, my rental car is paid for, and I can file for reimbursement for the hotel. My out of pocket expense is minimal.

Anyone else had this happen? I am concerned that the failed pump might have injected metal shrapnel into the engine. Is this possible? I'll ask for an oil sample to take to a lab to get it tested for metal. Anything else I should check before I take my ZL1 back?

Thanks!
Just got mine back being layed up for 2 solid weeks. The electrically powered solenoid in the oil pump failed in mine. I hope you have better luck than with mine as far as turnaround time -was the back-and-forth with GM engineering and the fact that once the undercarriage and suspension parts removed out of the way to drop your pan there were a bunch of one time only use bolts that they had to special order . There are many others who have had the exact same experience perhaps Chevrolet will come clean and issue a recall because this is absolutely safety item. Ended up having to get my car flat bedded 100 miles back to my Chevy dealer nothing like sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for the flatbed for 3 hours. Dealer said Chevrolet eating two or $3000 on this repair is extremely involved . No guarantee that the replacement pump isn’t going to have the exact same problem . I’ve lost a lot of confidence .
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #21
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Quote:
Hi all- long time lurker, first time poster. Bought my M6 ZL1 new last August, and have been enjoying each of the nearly 14K miles I've put on it. Finally got it to the track Monday and Tuesday this week- part of an SCDA event at Virginia International Raceway. Quick shameless plug: the SCDA event was awesome! I learned a lot, met some great people, and my instructor was exceptional. VIR is a great track.

The car exceeded my expectations. It was 97+ degrees and humid both days, and the car never strayed from normal operating temperature no matter how long I kept the go pedal mashed to the floor. My instructor and I agreed to keep it below 140 mph on the back straight. I complied, mostly.

After the last lap of the last event of the last day, I did a cool down lap without incident. I pulled into pit lane, and at 25 mph, the low oil pressure warning came on the dash and the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. I quickly pulled into the paddock and killed the ignition within 30 seconds of the warning indicator. I checked the oil level after letting it cool for a half hour- the oil level remained at the top of the dipstick hashed region the entire time. I followed the high performance manual supplement and used a Dexos 2 qualified 5W40 oil for track duty. Ended up getting it towed to the closest Chevy dealer. Bottom line: the oil pump failed and has to be replaced. I am still in southern VA- a new pump had to be overnighted to the dealer and if it arrives in time, it will be installed tomorrow and I can drive home tomorrow night. I give GM credit- all parts and labor are covered by the warranty, the tow was free, my rental car is paid for, and I can file for reimbursement for the hotel. My out of pocket expense is minimal.

Anyone else had this happen? I am concerned that the failed pump might have injected metal shrapnel into the engine. Is this possible? I'll ask for an oil sample to take to a lab to get it tested for metal. Anything else I should check before I take my ZL1 back?

Thanks!
Gravity would take all the metal down the oil pan. If it were picked up by the oil pump pickup it would be sent right to the filter. Not an issue.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #22
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
1/ why don’t you put a magnetic bolt instead of the OEM (std not mag) to catch the metal in the pan....
2/ catch can an issue????
Not for this oil pump issue I think, but for the warranty for sure....
3/ filter : interesting
Just go PF64 (valid GM and 6$ish at Walmart)
Heard about a PF64R ?
May be bigger (the 63R on my suburban is longer than the 64, I assume 64R may be longer than 64)
4/ new oil ESP 0w40 instead of 5w30?
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
AspiringCarGuy

Drives: 2018 Red Hot M6 ZL1
Thanks for all the input. Just got my car back. Unfortunately the tech was gone for lunch and I didn’t get a chance to talk to him. The paperwork said the issue is that the oil pump gerotor had separated. Not sure what it had separated from- the crankshaft? I spent a few minutes listening to the engine. The slight whirring noise I heard at idle before, the belt tensioner I think, is gone. It purrs away nicely at idle, maybe even smother than before. I’m beginning my trek back home. I’ll provide an update based on my experience driving home.
AspiringCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #24
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
There is a newer, fancier GM Oil Filter for our cars which comes after PF 64. I bought a few from my local dealer.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #25
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
... or a dealer that sucks. His situation should have never gone that far.
Just a random thought, and I apologize if this has been done, but I haven't run across it...

But do you think it would be worthwhile to start compiling regional data on dealers/GM service shops and how accommodating or tolerant they are of stuff like this? Maybe organized into a sticky thread? Just kind of firing blind here...

I realize that I should volunteer myself after suggesting it, but at this point, I don't have any data/experiences to contribute. I would be happy to contribute in any way I could though.

I just think something like that could really save someone from walking into a really expensive shit storm in the future and handing some tool of a manager an excuse on a silver platter.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #26
carbonguy

Drives: 2018 ZL1
1st post; couldn't resist registering after seeing this thread about oil pump failure. I see that I'm not alone.

Experienced complete oil pump failure in my Black 2018 ZL1 in my driveway at about 2200 miles. Was pulling it back in garage after a wash when all the warnings went off. Could not believe what was happening. Flatbedded to local dealer by the most expert tow truck guy I've ever seen.

Was without car for almost 2 weeks but dealer took their time. My car and I were treated like royalty; could not ask for a better service experience. Plus I got some freebies.

Car runs great and I'm happy. But seriously Chevrolet, an oil pump failure in one of your "Halo" cars?
carbonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #27
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
There is a newer, fancier GM Oil Filter for our cars which comes after PF 64. I bought a few from my local dealer.
Uh? May I have a part number?
Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #28
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Do not mean to hijack this thread. Quick question. What brandmagnetic magnets do people in the forms usually use for the oil pan?

Tags
oil pump