Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
First track day

I just did my 1st track day yesterday and all I can say is wow, I had no idea how hard you can push these cars.

I have a question; what types of things should I be looking at besides tires for the front of the car to get the front to stick better? It was a cold day and I know my front tire width is too narrow related to the rears.

All day it felt like I was driving 2 different cars at the same time. Front was constantly pushing with tires squealing and back was constantly planted and I never had to adjust my driving due to the rear.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Your best bet is running a square setup and use a sway bar setup that there is a 4 to 5mm sway bar difference front to rear (with the rear being bigger) a stickier TW tire say a 200TW. Quality shocks and struts 1LE, Z28 DSSV, or a Bilstien B6. Z28 front radius arms or a set of inserts. A aggressive street alignment will help a lot see Justice Pete’s specs in the suspension forum. If your pockets are deep enough a set of Camber Plates an possible coilovers. An a set or rear solid cradle bushings is a good start for now. Get used to that then work your rear suspension components. I run everything listed above to include DSE rear toe rods and trailing arms, 32mm JPSS rear bar and a 1LE front bar, JPSS inserts for the front arms, 3.91 diff from a Z28, ZL1/Z06 6 piston calipers with 6th Gen 1LE slotted rotors, DSS 1 piece DS, and 1LE shocks and Struts. Car handles very well under stock power but car is currently getting cam, heads, intake, and E85.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:39 AM   #3
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
I just did my 1st track day yesterday and all I can say is wow, I had no idea how hard you can push these cars.

I have a question; what types of things should I be looking at besides tires for the front of the car to get the front to stick better? It was a cold day and I know my front tire width is too narrow related to the rears.

All day it felt like I was driving 2 different cars at the same time. Front was constantly pushing with tires squealing and back was constantly planted and I never had to adjust my driving due to the rear.

These cars are made to push, my ZL1 was a snow plow on track. I put a Detroit Speed adjustable rear swaybar on the car and it is much better balanced now. Leave the tires alone, more camber in the front will help front grip along with a bigger rear bar will balance the car.

Look at track pads and good high temp fluid if you haven't already. Buy the cheapest tires you can find for track duty, it's all you need for tires at this point.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
FASTFATBOY

Quote:

Can't edit my post.

As a novice don't modify the car other than brake pads, alignment, brake fluid, and a rear swaybar to improve balance .

Leave the car alone and learn how to drive it in it's current state, spend your money on track time not mods.

When you get passed by a well driven setup Miata you'll realize it isn't the car it's the driver.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #5
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I know everyone says don’t modify the car and get good with it how it is, but I’ll be the dissenting opinion here and say go nuts and modify it - then learn how it is at that point. It’s no different than if one is learning the limits of a stock Civic or stock Corvette. You’re going to learn it either way.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
fz4k98

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I had the most fun doing this and can easily see how you get hooked on it. I did more passing than getting passed but spent most of the time limiting cornering speed due to the front tires howling and sliding.

I just gotta keep reminding myself its not a race, just have fun.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:26 AM   #7
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I know everyone says don’t modify the car and get good with it how it is, but I’ll be the dissenting opinion here and say go nuts and modify it - then learn how it is at that point. It’s no different than if one is learning the limits of a stock Civic or stock Corvette. You’re going to learn it either way.

I disagree, get the car where it handles in a neutral fashion then get the most out of the car you can. Drive the car on crap tires so you know how the car moves around and you develop muscle memory doing that, rain days is the best trainer for this.

When you "go nuts and modify it" you have no idea if the car is F'd up or your driving needs work as every mod presents variables. If the car is basic, that's an easy one to figure out. Seat time makes you fast, not modding the car.

Develop muscle memory on a stock car, then when you mod it you know if you improved the car or made it worse. Modding a car for track work is nothing like modding one for drag racing, money and mods do not always produce a better lap time.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:34 AM   #8
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Totally respect the dissenting opinion. I come from drag racing where, like you mentioned, just tossing stuff at the car is fine. I started road racing with bolt ons, big cam, suspension not set up for it, etc. I learn the car at the same time I’m learning how to drive all over again. I’m comfortable with that. I’m also not trying to set any records - just trying to have fun - which is exactly what I’m doing. It’s also fun to modify one’s car, so it’s a win/win.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #9
fz4k98

I had a really good instructor ride along since I was in the novice class. I was amazed how quickly he adjusted my driving to pick up speed. i have been riding motorcycles for years and the braking and cornering lines are completely different.

I was using the car for occasional drag racing and as was mentoned, was in the habit of looking to the next part to get. When we did lead/follow I learned so much and became more comfortable at cornering and braking zones.

Damn, just what I need, another addiction for the wallet to support.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:52 PM   #10
FASTFATBOY

Quote:
I had a really good instructor ride along since I was in the novice class. I was amazed how quickly he adjusted my driving to pick up speed. i have been riding motorcycles for years and the braking and cornering lines are completely different.

I was using the car for occasional drag racing and as was mentoned, was in the habit of looking to the next part to get. When we did lead/follow I learned so much and became more comfortable at cornering and braking zones.

Damn, just what I need, another addiction for the wallet to support.

Drag racing will fade away, when I discovered road racing I had just finished a 1994 Z28 with an all motor 383 that ran mid 10's @125 that was a streetcar with overdrive.

I had a drag racing fire sale, bought a 1999 Z28 and started doing trackdays. I did 5 or so weekends a year for 6 years then my old body got so bad I had to quit...but I had my fun. Learning how to go faster while leaving the car alone is the most satisfying.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:56 PM   #11
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
You did say who your track day was with. Get with an organization that puts an instructor in the car with you. This will do the most to make the car faster.

First mods should always be ones that make the car safer. Better brake pads or better yet the big brake upgrade. There is a great thread on the upgrade. Driver safety. 5 or 6 point harness. When you are more securely planted in the seat the better you can drive. I would suggest getting a second set of wheels for your track tires. Track tires are typically a softer compound than street tires so when you street them they wear out fast, and they ain't cheep. After you do some of these things then you might want to look into some of the suspension upgrades mentioned earlier.

God luck and have fun.
Craig

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote