Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-06-2023, 09:20 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Help Please

I use a LSX conversion for my LSA on LS3 block. I have been using a 6 rib belt and a ZL1 lower. I had to install a 220amp alternator, so I thought it was time to convert to 8 rib.

I bought all of the 8 rib pulleys from West Innovators and retained my LSX kit. Everything installed nicely. I started her up and at first it sounded great. So I went inside before taking her for a drive. When I came out there was a loud knock sound and I panicked and shut her down. Then I tried to start her back up and she didn’t want to start. I kept trying, plenty of juice, she just didn’t want to turn over. This is issue #1.

Finally she sluggishly start and ran. I opened the hood to inspect the knocking and I noticed around the crank pulley it was sloppy and the edge of the brand new belt was already worn. I think the knock is actually the belt slapping the crank pulley. Issue #2.

On install I cracked the pigtail for the oil temp sensor, I don’t think this is the source of my issues, but I include it in case it might.

Issue 1, I installed a 0 gauge power wire to the alternator. I clipped out the old alternator wire but left the power wire that runs over by the starter. When I bolted down the power wire to the alternator I just put the old ring with the other power wire on top of it. I used a 0 gauge ground wire from the alternator to the frame. I added a 2 gauge ground wire to the drivers side engine block to the chassis just for added ground. Didn’t add any other wires. Started up the first time with little hesitation. I don’t know?

Issue #2, I noticed the new pulleys are slightly out of line with the upper pulley, and the crank pulley. I might be able to align them with a slimmer shim; but I think the only problem the alignment of the belt is causing is the wear on the edge. The new 8 rib belt is slightly smaller than my old one, I had to adjust the tensioner to get it to fit. The tensioner is almost all the way pushed in, and it is bouncing slightly when running. The lower crank also looks like it wobbles, but it always looked like this. Engine runs smooth when all of this mess isn’t happening. One other detail, the new alternator came with a 6 rib ADP pulley, I swapped it with the Innovators West 8 rib, which is not an ADP. The OEM isn’t an ADP, but since this is a change I am mentioning it.

The belt is a Gates RPM. The alternator is a Powermaster. All good parts.

My next upgrade is a ATI 10% harmonic balancer and 2.55 upper pulley. I don’t know if doing that now will help fix my current issue. Or if getting a bigger belt to let the tensioner go back to a fuller release would fix this. Tomorrow going to try my 6 rib belt on there just to be able to drive. But I need to fix this fast, this is my DD.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #2
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Did you ever remove the damper or pin it? I'd use a dial indicator and rotate the motor to check values. And, if you can see misalignment with the pulleys, you have a problem.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

I pinned the crank when I installed the LSA. Just one pin, I’m at 600rwhp.

The ZL1 balancer I am using looks like it is wobbling when it runs, but it has looked like this since install 3 years and 40,000 miles ago.
I am going to check my pulleys alignment, because I think they are off slightly.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
what codes did you get? your car wouldn't turn over....should have something? are all your pulleys aligned? the knock that you heard was it just one knock or constant in rhythm? might just be your belt and pulley alignment, the ribs climbing a pulley, not making it then snapping back? check the alignment with a straight edge and depending what the sound was like remove the belt and check each pulley.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
what codes did you get? your car wouldn't turn over....should have something? are all your pulleys aligned? the knock that you heard was it just one knock or constant in rhythm? might just be your belt and pulley alignment, the ribs climbing a pulley, not making it then snapping back? check the alignment with a straight edge and depending what the sound was like remove the belt and check each pulley.
It was definitely a rhythm knocking. I am going to check my codes, the CEL did come on.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:34 PM   #6
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Update: the straight edge shows my pulleys are all over the place. The ones on the water pump are in line with each other, but not the alternator or the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer and the alternator aren’t in line. On the tensioner side the tensioner and smooth pulleys aren’t in line and aren’t with the upper pulley either.

I am off to the hardware store to try and find some washers of various sizes to try and line everything up with the harmonic balancer and upper pulley.

Car started fine. Pulled codes, all were related to the low power from the old alternator. So I think we can mark the electrical issue as done.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Does anyone know if ATI damper can be adjusted for alignment?
Old 03-06-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Not sure on the damper but I wonder if your noise could be the tensioner slapping if the pulleys are that far out.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #9
bottletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Does anyone know if ATI damper can be adjusted for alignment?
with a spacer, the damper should be all the way in.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:22 PM   #10
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
So the damper can run with a spacer?

I just aligned all of the pulleys using spacers. They are looking good. But the crank pulley is just a bit recessed. So when I started it up the belt starts riding the outer edge of the crank pulley. I’m pretty sure that is the noise, I adjusted the tensioner and I held it while the car was running, pretty sure it isn’t the noise.

I am ready to get an ATI Damper if I can put a spacer behind it to bring it out about a millimeter or two.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #11
bottletalk

Quote:
So the damper can run with a spacer?

I just aligned all of the pulleys using spacers. They are looking good. But the crank pulley is just a bit recessed. So when I started it up the belt starts riding the outer edge of the crank pulley. I’m pretty sure that is the noise, I adjusted the tensioner and I held it while the car was running, pretty sure it isn’t the noise.

I am ready to get an ATI Damper if I can put a spacer behind it to bring it out about a millimeter or two.
doesn't the ati come with .05" shim spacers, call ati to confirm max distance but if alignment is good and the damper is completely on I believe your good as long as it mounts flush.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:09 PM   #12
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Update: the straight edge shows my pulleys are all over the place. The ones on the water pump are in line with each other, but not the alternator or the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer and the alternator aren’t in line. On the tensioner side the tensioner and smooth pulleys aren’t in line and aren’t with the upper pulley either.

I am off to the hardware store to try and find some washers of various sizes to try and line everything up with the harmonic balancer and upper pulley.

Car started fine. Pulled codes, all were related to the low power from the old alternator. So I think we can mark the electrical issue as done.
I was at work when I saw your first post and if I could have, I would have posted then, to check the pulley alignment. I design and sell belts, pulleys, conveyors and all kinds of power transmission products (including Gates brand).

The belt wear you described is almost always attributed to bad alignment, particularly in a new application.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:16 PM   #13
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
I was at work when I saw your first post and if I could have, I would have posted then, to check the pulley alignment. I design and sell belts, pulleys, conveyors and all kinds of power transmission products (including Gates brand).

The belt wear you described is almost always attributed to bad alignment, particularly in a new application.
I have the bad alignment down to the lower pulley. When running the belt rides on the outer edge of the pulley and is all over the place.

On the subject of belts, I need a 102” 8 rib performance belt. All I can find is a Dayco.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:23 PM   #14
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
I have the bad alignment down to the lower pulley. When running the belt rides on the outer edge of the pulley and is all over the place.

On the subject of belts, I need a 102” 8 rib performance belt. All I can find is a Dayco.
What's the Dayco number?

And on another note, most of my industrial clients generally avoid Dayco because of quality control issues. Because of that, I wouldn't use them unless it was all I could find.