Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-06-2023, 08:52 PM   #1
ertree

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Cam question

So I've decided to go with GPI but im kind of torn between stage 2 and 3...im not worried about a specific hp # and im not really a drag racer. I do daily drive my car but I do like to have fun and want to know I can win a race if it comes up lol
But I do want driveability. I was just curious if anyone in here has any input. I'd definitely go stage 3 if I can still daily to the grocery store. Oh and I have the ls3 and 6 speed manual.
ertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:14 PM   #2
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
lots of people dd their stage3's happily!
cuz ur already wanting to go stg3 ur only thinking stg2 because of drivability, if u go stg2 your gonna end wishing you would of went 3.
lots of people happy with stg2 but that's because it's exactly what they wanted
your the only one that can make this decision.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:35 PM   #3
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
I have GPI SS4 and with a good tune i can easily drive it daily. The problem people have is getting a shitty tune and then try to drive it like its stock, meaning lugging it below 2000 RPM's. Go at least with a SS3 since you are a LS3, And have Ryan at GPI remote tune it for you,
Old 03-07-2023, 12:48 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I have the SS3 vvt cam, and an automatic with a 3600 stall converter. So I don't really know what the difference is between a big cam with a auto versus manual but I will tell you this because I had the SS2 vvt first and then rebuilt my engine with the SS3 vvt, is this "You always wish you went bigger". I'm know wishing I would have went with the SS4 vvt. And the lugging below 2k rpm is kind of all in the tune. Mine started out that what but with some work on my tune it's almost completely gone. Not to say that it isn't challenging to get through a 20mph school zone and I can't imagine doing that with manual even with just the SS3. But I did have what they call the new SS2 and that was an awesome cam. It made 438 whp on an l99, you should make even more then that with the ls3. If I had to pick one though it would depend on what I was going to do with the car. I do believe the SS2 is the middle of the road as far as drivability and the SS3 is kind of maybe more for what I'm doing right now like autocross and drag racing. The sound of the cam's are almost identical which again is in the tune and power isn't that much different either maybe like 20 whp or so for me on my build anyways. But if you all out max power I would go with the SS3 or even SS4. Sorry for the long reply just trying to give you as much info as I can. If you have any questions just ask.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:54 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Are you going to do any other mods to the car besides a cam? Headers, free flowing exhaust, 3.91 gears and a good tune are needed to take FULL advantage of what those 2 camshafts offer. You MAY want to do those supporting mods FIRST before you tear into a well running engine. Be realistic about your usage prior to spending big bucks. You also need to consider that any lift over .600 may require valve spring changes every few years depending on mileage driven. I have the 495 hp GM crate LS3 in my C5 Z06 track car and with a good tune it's producing 468 hp and 457 ft lbs tq at the rear wheels. Look up the cam specs for the 495 and the 525 hp GM crates, both great cams.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:44 AM   #6
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
All great info above ^^^. Check out Andrew Cammer's videos. Here is one with his Max 2.0 package on drivability. He was going to trailer his old setup to GPI for this build but actually drove it from NY to Arkansas, did the build & drove it back. I think even through a brief snow storm! (correct me if I am wrong AC) Definitely let them handle the tune as already mentioned.

2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:59 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
All great info above!! I DD a TSP Stage 3 with a 4500 stall and have no issues at all. As mentioned above a good tune and all the supporting mods and you will be fine. Just learning how to drive the car afterwards and what she does or doesn't like will be the key. And as mentioned, if you go with a stage 2, you will want a bigger one and wished you'd have gone bigger. The choice is up to you and what you want the car to do. Good luck and have fun!!
Old 03-07-2023, 08:01 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
All great info above ^^^. Check out Andrew Cammer's videos. Here is one with his Max 2.0 package on drivability. He was going to trailer his old setup to GPI for this build but actually drove it from NY to Arkansas, did the build & drove it back. I think even through a brief snow storm! (correct me if I am wrong AC) Definitely let them handle the tune as already mentioned.

AWESOME video Andrew!! That's why you are the best!! Thanks for all your wisdom and knowledge..
Old 03-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #9
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
I installed the SS3 in my LS3, manual Camaro last year. Along with all the other items that should be done with a cam. Tuned with logging and emailing to GPI. Zero problems corresponding with Ryan. The only issue is with bucking at driveway and parking lot speeds. It's just the nature of the cam profile. Around town and highway, you'll need to be at a slightly higher rpm. But drives well. If you want the car to behave like stock in the parking lot, you may not want the SS3. Even with the stock cam, I had very slight bucking.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:11 AM   #10
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Go stage 3 with a quality tune, you won't regret it.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote