Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #113
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
After reading a few posts - I simply came here to respond to a couple of them because I realized that too many people don't understand what the original intent of the Z/28 really was.......:

go back and read the history of WHY the Z28 was introduced in the first place.

Don't 'guess' and don't try to 'interpret' - because some of us were actually around back then! (I didn't mean that as a shot -- but.......)

Tidbit: the 1967 Z28 didn't have Z28 anywhere on the car - it was simply an option code (RPO) that essentially said: "This is the car we're building to compete in SCCA's Trans Am racing series. All others beware!" It was not meant to be a daily driver - and this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods.

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.

Sorry that some of you don't like that.....but we have to make hard decisions and I stand behind this Z/28 'til the cows come home.

I don't like to be this abrupt - but I'm operating on very little sleep - it's been a long week -- and frankly my patience is running a bit thin with people who don't understand what a Z/28 really is meant to be........

(....oh - and for those of you who are nay-sayers? I wish you could have heard the remarks about the new Z/28 - people at the unveil were blown away.......)
Fbodfather, you gave us even MORE than we (us old faithful Z28 guys) asked for in the Z28 threads. As you know for years we've been carrying the torch while numbskulls would pop in to call us fools for believing. This Z28 I put on level with cars like the GT3 911's and such. To say I'm impressed does not even get close to how I feel about what you've done.

Thank You,
Robert
2cnd Chance
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #114
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
After reading a few posts - I simply came here to respond to a couple of them because I realized that too many people don't understand what the original intent of the Z/28 really was.......:

go back and read the history of WHY the Z28 was introduced in the first place.

Don't 'guess' and don't try to 'interpret' - because some of us were actually around back then! (I didn't mean that as a shot -- but.......)

Tidbit: the 1967 Z28 didn't have Z28 anywhere on the car - it was simply an option code (RPO) that essentially said: "This is the car we're building to compete in SCCA's Trans Am racing series. All others beware!" It was not meant to be a daily driver - and this new Z/28 is not meant to be a daily driver. it will "separate the men from the boys" so to speak....... If you want comfort -- this is not the car for you.....

We stayed true to the original intent. Want a stereo radio? Go buy a ZL1 or a
1LE or an SS and make mods.

The Z/28 is essentially a race car.

Sorry that some of you don't like that.....but we have to make hard decisions and I stand behind this Z/28 'til the cows come home.

I don't like to be this abrupt - but I'm operating on very little sleep - it's been a long week -- and frankly my patience is running a bit thin with people who don't understand what a Z/28 really is meant to be........

(....oh - and for those of you who are nay-sayers? I wish you could have heard the remarks about the new Z/28 - people at the unveil were blown away.......)
ha ha ha they were probably just blown away because being that close to it, they could feel how expensive it would be and felt pick-pocketed just being in the same building!! LOL
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #115
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCamaro View Post
"true to the heritage"

http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html

You tell people to "shut up" and that they are "borderline trolling", well you DEFINITELY are. This forum is for people to express their opinions, just because you don't agree, doesn't make anyone else wrong.
I think there are folks that were just blindsided by this. If you were saving and waiting for a Z/28 and then find out it's just a track car it's a bit of a disappointment. There's no point in even discussing the price.

I'm not a fan of Mustangs and could stand to get a new car. I was waiting for this announcement for 2 years. If you're happy with this version of the Z/28, good for you.
If I feel like GM just took the Z/28 badge and threw it in the mud, that's my opinion.
I'm not happy about it at all. There's nothing I can do about it, I just have to find another vehicle that CAN be a daily driver.
This! I was so excited watching the unveil live yesterday, then came the rest. Per GM: Top-tiered Camaro (at least a price of $70k probably) and pretty much a stripped down, rough riding track car. I'm not arguing, it is no doubt cool as Hell! I was more expecting a 1LE type set-up though. Maybe a base of $45k with a list of options you can choose from. Good job GM, but the limited production and PROBABLE price is leaving a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths that have been waiting years for this.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #116
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Why should people be thankful for a car they can't afford? People wanted a Z/28 so they could buy one. You didn't think people wanted a Z/28 so they could just talk about how fast it is? I just don't see how people here need to be attacked for wishing they had a shot in hell of buying a Z/28. Seems elitist to me.
OK so why would they bring another car out just like the others? Say you took a 1LE slapped a LS7 and the brakes on it would still be more than a ZL1.

Again the motor is 15K alone..

And if you did that then people would say this is just stupid. Why would I pay for a for a 1LE with a LS7 in it when I can get a s/c for alot less and be just has fast..

Either way you go people will not be happy.
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #117
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I am happy that you are happy and may be able to go out and get one...the rest of us 99% will just have to read about them in magazines and then it will piss us off more because we will be reminded that we can't get one!

For the record I'm not getting one nor do I want one.. The difference is I know what this car should be and is..

I also know that what they put into it is not cheap and will cost money..

Price the motor, Suspension, Seats, and come back and tell me this car should cost as much as an SS..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #118
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
I would be willing to part with ABS and power steering before AC... that's just me
Why the PS is electric?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #119
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
I'm not happy about it at all. There's nothing I can do about it, I just have to find another vehicle that CAN be a daily driver.
Why not a ZL1? What is it missing for you other than a Z/28 badge?
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #120
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
If I own a business to make money, I would be more concerned about making as many people as possible happy!! If I only catered to a niche market in my business, I would go bankrupt.....................
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
This isn't 1967 anymore. Welcome to 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
THIS!

This Z28 will return soooooo much in marketing for GM it would make them money without being sold. It will be compared to cars costing much much much more and will blow them away. There is now a Camaro for everyone who could want one. Want a Camaro with all the goodies and performance buy the ZL1. Want a track star for a very low price buy a 1LE. Want a boulevard cruiser Camaro the SS fits the bill. Want a sporty inexpensive Camaro buy a V6. Want a true racecar for the street?...May I introduce you to the Z28.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #121
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
My only gripe is that it is dressed up and ready to go to a party... but there isn't one to go to.

Late 1960's SCCA stock under 5.0 Liter class was the place for Camaro to compete in sanctioned races against the competition back in the day. "Win on Sunday - Sell on Monday". It was the ONLY reason we were given a Z/28 in the first place. Not exactly unhappy with the new Z but something just seems to be "missing" here.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #122
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
I dont care what your arguments are, some of you guys just want a badge to show off.
My 97 Z28, as much as i love it, does not do the brand justice. This car does.
If its not for you theres a ZL1 or 1LE that fits the need.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #123
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Why not a ZL1? What is it missing for you other than a Z/28 badge?
I though I'd go for a used 45th or 1LE if anything, although I am not a fan of cloth seats.
Quite frankly, I've been waiting for the Z/28 announcement for so long, thinking that it was going to be affordable if GM was staying true to their roots.
After yesterdays announcement, I'm so disgusted by the price that I'm not sure I'll buy a Camaro at all or any other GM product. I'll have to think on that one.
If I wanted something in the Vette to Viper price range, I'd look at those vehicles.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #124
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Question for all the haters.
Whats your ideal Z28?
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #125
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
"true to the heritage"

http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html

You tell people to "shut up" and that they are "borderline trolling", well you DEFINITELY are. This forum is for people to express their opinions, just because you don't agree, doesn't make anyone else wrong.
I think there are folks that were just blindsided by this. If you were saving and waiting for a Z/28 and then find out it's just a track car it's a bit of a disappointment. There's no point in even discussing the price.

I'm not a fan of Mustangs and could stand to get a new car. I was waiting for this announcement for 2 years. If you're happy with this version of the Z/28, good for you.
If I feel like GM just took the Z/28 badge and threw it in the mud, that's my opinion.
The Camaro lineup has NEVER been more diverse in it's history than it is today..... they even offered a BIW for the ala carte folks.

Just what in the Sam Hill does it take to make you happy???

... and yes, the Z/28 is true to it's 1st gen heritage... in performance and price. Actually, in some ways, it's excelled... is that what makes you sad?

Sure they've mixed the RPO and COPO codes around a bit, big deal.

Here's the part I don't get..... you can get the Camaro in ~10 variations, from economical to track king and all in-between..... what more do you want???
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #126
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
The Camaro lineup has NEVER been more diverse in it's history than it is today..... they even offered a BIW for the ala carte folks.

Just what in the Sam Hill does it take to make you happy???

... and yes, the Z/28 is true to it's 1st gen heritage... in performance and price. Actually, in some ways, it's excelled... is that what makes you sad?

Sure they've mixed the RPO and COPO codes around a bit, big deal.

Here's the part I don't get..... you can get the Camaro in ~10 variations, from economical to track king and all in-between..... what more do you want???
+1 (again)