Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
bsimms89

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Vert & 2017COPO#23 SC350
American racing headers to axle back exhaust

I just have a couple quick questions as I have never bought any cat back or axle back systems myself before. I am planning on purchasing the 1 7/8" American Racing Headers with cats and x-pipes and mating them to another axle back system, possibly borla or flowmaster.

1. I'm assuming that the ARH system is designed to connect into the stock exhaust when it reaches the axle, is this correct?

2. I'm assuming that most axle back systems are designed to join into the existing midpipes when the reach the axles.

3. So when I go to mate the ARH system with whatever axle-back exhaust I go with they should line up without the need for much if any modification, correct? I just want to make sure this is as seemless as possible sine I will be doing it on jack stands since I do not yet have a lift.
bsimms89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
bsimms89

Specifically Im looking at mating this: http://www.jreperformanceparts.com/a...10-camaro.html

with possibly this: http://www.borla.com/products/camaro...rt__11775.html

or another axleback
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
That's the ARH system on my car, bolts right up
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
If you are talking about putting those on your convertible, you will have interference with the structural bracing-which will be a MAJOR PITA for a DYI on jacks. If you really want to do this, hire a pro and be prepared to spend another $500 or more for aftermarket bracing.

ARH sells a "chromoly" replacement brace that makes room for their 3" X mid pipe that is claimed to be stiffer than stock (and I believe it-it is a huge stout matrix of pipes). but, just the part is $475.

I have the NPP I want to keep so I'm going with ARH's short connection LTs + HFCs which mate up to the OE catback without needing modification to any bracing.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Hott12SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
If you are talking about putting those on your convertible, you will have interference with the structural bracing-which will be a MAJOR PITA for a DYI on jacks. If you really want to do this, hire a pro and be prepared to spend another $500 or more for aftermarket bracing.

ARH sells a "chromoly" replacement brace that makes room for their 3" X mid pipe that is claimed to be stiffer than stock (and I believe it-it is a huge stout matrix of pipes). but, just the part is $475.

I have the NPP I want to keep so I'm going with ARH's short connection LTs + HFCs which mate up to the OE catback without needing modification to any bracing.
+1

The NPP sounds great with LT's and HF cats!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hott12SS View Post
+1

The NPP sounds great with LT's and HF cats!
Very glad to hear that. I just gave Mike Norris a downpayment to order the hardware. Scheduled the work for May 19.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
SSexy Camaro
Patiently Waiting

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
skip the exhaust and buy their xpipe and run it straight back. Amazing sound. Drone only between 68-75mph
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Personally, I'd just go with the short system and then the axle-back of your choice. There is not much benefit to replacing the center section unless you have the L99.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
bsimms89

Sorry, havent been on here in a while, I do have the L99, and I am now leaning towards just getting the full ARH system with mufflers and all. Is it a fact that the stock bracing is going to be in the way and I am going to have to buy the ARH replacement brace, I havent seen the brace on their website. Whats the parts number?

And as far as a lift we are planning on putting one in our shop in the future after we build our new building, but as of now we dont have one, but were a rigging business and have forklifts with 60,000lb capacities and frames that I could place the whole car on if need be if I cant get it done from under the car on stands.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Indydriver

Fact that any 3" midpipe will foul the bracing. Contact the rep here Steve or you can email the owner Nick who will be happy to walk you through your build. There is a thread with pics of the ARH brace in here somewhere.

OK, I found it. Go to post #9 in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=ARH+brace

Last edited by Indydriver; 05-30-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote