Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
HoTWiReZ

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Monster clutch clearance

I recently installed a monster LT1-s clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, replaced the slave cylinder, installed the billet release bearing support, replaced the clutch line and and added the Tick remote speed bleeder.

I've been a bit concerned that the clutch engagement point is nearly at the top of my pedal travel. I've been thinking the release bearing may be touching the pressure plate fingers constantly, but I didn't think that's what should be happening; I thought this would probably prematurely wear that bearing out.

I stuck a borescope in there to try and confirm. I think the release bearing is touching the fingers constantly. There are no shims installed.
https://youtu.be/6r6xNYloVX4

OK - I did some better searching on my PC and see a response from Matt@Tick here where he answers my question exactly. He says the throwout bearing will touch the fingers constantly no matter what. Whew. I should've just called you guys rather than keep worrying about it, haha.

I worry (often excessively) I'm going to do something wrong anytime I'm doing something new. The release/throwout bearing in these cars are different than what I've seen in the past; I saw there was a good bit of play in even the brand-new one Monster sent with the slave cylinder. I used to drive DSM cars and me, my dad, and two of my brothers worked on them and could do pretty much anything we needed with them, but the Camaro is a lot bigger and easier to mess up.

Last edited by HoTWiReZ; 05-26-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: I figured out this isn't actually a problem; edited to show the answer along with the question.
HoTWiReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
Winemedineme69me

Drives: Camaro ss Chevy
How's the clutch holding up?
Winemedineme69me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
The slave cylinder is compressed against when the clutch is engaged. When you press the pedal the slave cylinder extends to move the pressure plate fingers to create a gap between the pressure plate and flywheel to release the clutch. The bearing will always be touching the pressure plate.

The boroscope is a great tool to have and use for problem solving.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote