Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Steering Pump Whistle

So when I am idle, a faint whistling sound can be heard. I have asked about this in the past and thought it was simply my CAI causing the noise. However, the other night I noticed that it only happens when the steering wheel has no pressure applied to it.

For example, if I am stationary pointing straight ahead and the wheel is straightened out as well, the whistling can be heard As soon as I turn the wheel, the noise disappears. I can't tell if this is the case when the car is in motion as there is too much ambient noise to drown it out.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts on what it could be?
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
13 ZL1

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Did you check the fluid level?
13 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
So when I am idle, a faint whistling sound can be heard. I have asked about this in the past and thought it was simply my CAI causing the noise. However, the other night I noticed that it only happens when the steering wheel has no pressure applied to it.

For example, if I am stationary pointing straight ahead and the wheel is straightened out as well, the whistling can be heard As soon as I turn the wheel, the noise disappears. I can't tell if this is the case when the car is in motion as there is too much ambient noise to drown it out.

Mine does this as well. Bought the car new 5 months ago, and the noise has been present for as long as I can remember. Figured it was just the nature of the system, but I've never had a car with a power steering system that whistled like that. Keep us posted if you find anything out. I haven't checked the fluid level myself (as new as the car is, I wouldn't anticipate low fluid levels), but it's actually a good idea that I'll have to look into.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
BuddyboyJ

Drives: 2012 45th
I have the same very low whistle sound. Happens exactly as Runawayhacker described.
BuddyboyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Power steering pumps whine if they're low on fluid or if there's air in the system. But this usually gets worse when you turn the wheel, not quieter. Without hearing the noise, it's hard to say for sure.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
BH531SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1ss
I've just recently noticed the same "whistle" on my '12 with > 5k miles. I started it up with the remote start to let it warm up and as I walked down stairs I could hear what I originally thought was a squeaky belt... Power steering could also be a problem. I plan on bringing it in for service tomorrow morning. Any updates/explinations will be posted.
BH531SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
I notice it on my new '13. I thought it was the belt, but maybe its this too.
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post

We apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing. Have you had a chance to go to a dealership for a proper diagnosis? They should be able to pinpoint the concern you are having.

Please let us know!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Jenny-2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS
I was persistent with my dealership about the whistling from my car and got an experienced technician to drive around with me... this was after I had tried to get them to listen to some recordings. I was almost positive it had to do with the steering because it would get louder as the steering wheel was being turned.

The technician told me that it was the plastic intake. He said that there's probably defect/bump in the plastic that's causing the whistling. He also said that a lot of GM trucks had this issue at higher revs (mine was at a very low rev). He pointed out that when stopped, the whistling gone/faint, but as soon as the revs get a little higher, the whistling will start.

I hope this helps someone..
Jenny-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
SB09

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 AGM
I notice a whistle or whuring sound when at low speeds and turning. As I turn the wheel you can hear the sound, whuuuuurrrrr. When driving straight slowly I don't hear it.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny-2012 View Post
I was persistent with my dealership about the whistling from my car and got an experienced technician to drive around with me... this was after I had tried to get them to listen to some recordings. I was almost positive it had to do with the steering because it would get louder as the steering wheel was being turned.

The technician told me that it was the plastic intake. He said that there's probably defect/bump in the plastic that's causing the whistling. He also said that a lot of GM trucks had this issue at higher revs (mine was at a very low rev). He pointed out that when stopped, the whistling gone/faint, but as soon as the revs get a little higher, the whistling will start.

I hope this helps someone..
Thank you for the contribution! We are glad they were able to take care of you. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
I notice a whistle or whuring sound when at low speeds and turning. As I turn the wheel you can hear the sound, whuuuuurrrrr. When driving straight slowly I don't hear it.
I had this as well, and when I told the service tech, he had it checked, and a seal was bad. However, on the '11 SS this is a sealed unit, so the entire rack and pinion had to be replaced, thankfully under warranty. They had to keep my baby overnight to be sure the bubbles in the system were gone before alignment, but they gave me a rental, an Impala... gold (bleah), but hey, this is the nicest the dealership has ever been to me. I will only work with this tech from now on.

Good luck,

Jason

Love this car!
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRay-J View Post
I notice it on my new '13. I thought it was the belt, but maybe its this too.
2013 Camaros have electric power steering now, so you definitely don't have the same issue as this person as their is no fluid or belts for your power steering.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Then it's just the belts for me. I hoped it would go away, but it's annoying me enough where I'll have to risk a dealer visit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, steering, whistle