Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS & 2013 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Yep, just leave DFCO table alone

The LS2 was fine in the Corvette/GTO, the oil starvation was isolated to the Trailblazer's unique oil pan design, which was front sump and has accommodations for the front axle going through it. Without sufficient baffles, under hard acceleration it sloshes the oil to the back; starving the front bearings. The pan was designed for the Inline-6, where hard acceleration wasn’t an issue; they didn’t imagine they’d be dropping in a 400 hp/torque V8 one day.

AWD and 2WD models have the same pan, but 2WD models do have the option of switching to a C6 Corvette pan since they have no front axle shafts going thru the TB pan. Mines AWD, so I had to relocate the pickup tube.
Man, excellent insight. I was stuck on the AWD, but that seems a bit tempting, to be able to upgrade the pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
When I purchased my ZL1, I had no idea it had a mild 2 wild installed on it. It didn't have any of the remotes nor was the home link setup to operate the valves. When I removed it, and put the 10amp fuse back in, I was disappointed how quite the ZL1 actually is while cruising along (I was used to the flaps open). Decided to install a new mild 2 wild and program the home link buttons to control the exhaust valves. It's set to open 95% of the time except for when the wife is in the car. I love the adjustability vs. just pulling the fuse.
Yea, that makes sense. My wife won't even drive in mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRL8 ZL1 View Post
R2 is a relay, not a fuse.
DUH!!!! Stupid me.

Wow, "R" vs "F." I have no idea how I didn't catch that myself. Been out of the game for awhile, kids, wife, Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
There is a mod where you can replace that R2 relay and tie it to a 3-way switch in the cabin (mine is in the center console). This allows you to force any of the following 3 conditions:

1) stock control
2) always open
3) always closed

It also holds the flaps closed in position 3 for quiet(er) morning start-ups, unlike some of the other ways to do this.

FWIW, I find that headers + open flaps is really obnoxiously loud. Don't get me wrong, I love it and drive it that way 95% of the time, but the average person would think it is obnoxiously loud.

I always start it with the flaps closed in the morning and open them once I get out of the neighborhood. Headers and flaps closed is still louder than my friend's ls6 car with headers and Stainless Works cat-back for comparison.
Yea, when I ws younger I was all about loud. Now I go to bed at 8, watch Matlock and yell at kids about my lawn. Ah, the 30's.

I was looking onto headers, but I think based on what you've said and a couple others, I'll stick stock. I've read where headers don't do a lot until you upgrade the charger. IDK, but I'm just going CAI, tune and maybe pulleys.
GAFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Took it for the first run with it open, sounded great. There is a difference and it has a raspy poppy noise when slowing down. Cool little mod.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #17
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTex View Post
Took it for the first run with it open, sounded great. There is a difference and it has a raspy poppy noise when slowing down. Cool little mod.
I've also notice the blower is more audible in the lower rpms with the valves open.... one of the main reasons I leave them open.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #18
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
I've also notice the blower is more audible in the lower rpms with the valves open.... one of the main reasons I leave them open.
So I'm not imagining that? I thought I was crazy.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTex View Post
So I'm not imagining that? I thought I was crazy.
Lol, nope you're not crazy!
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote