Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
dtek

Drives: 2012 1lt
Oil leak maybe?

Was looking under the hood of my 2012 Camaro 1lt v6 with 97k miles and noticed some oil leakage on the circled part of the image I’ve provided, Part# 524. Took out one of the spark plugs and had oil on the threads and porcelain park of it. Any suggestions to what this could be? My car is kind of hesitant when accelerating and kind of jittery, and just last week I was driving in sport and either the car stalled or didn’t shift and felt like something yanked the car back out of nowhere. No mods done to the car besides installing a vittesse throttle controller and muffler delete. No check engine light but something feels wrong. Any answers will be great, as this is my every day driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
• OverKill 93 Octane Tune

Last edited by dtek; 06-19-2019 at 07:21 AM.
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
just last week I was driving in sport
What do you mean by this? I thought 2012+ v6s didn't have a sport mode
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
dtek

Oil leak maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post

It definitely does, slide shifter into Manual but don’t touch the paddle shifters and a “S” appears but as soon as you press a paddle, it switches to “M1-6”
I usually drive around in this mode because it jsut makes the car more fun to drive but ever since what happened last week I’m scared to drive the car in general without knowing if there’s a problem that I could potentially make worse

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 06-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
I'd like to know what that is too. I believe it has something to do with the crankcase breather vent system.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
it is indeed the PCV fresh air tube. you may be experiencing a vacuum leak at the tube, which could cause driveability issues.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post

The LT models do. The LS models do not.

Anyway. On topic. I'd say you should either get a 1LE clean side separator (or Elite 1LE style) or hose clamp the end of that tube on the back of the motor, it's only under vacuum so at low vacuum it can come off or leak. I had a hose clamp on it but was never sure if that was enough.

Do you have a catch can?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I didn't realize both were available on the 2012s. I must have a LS because when I switch into Manual mode it automatically downshifts me and a number comes up on the HUD (not an S or M)
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
dtek

Quote:

Anyway. On topic. I'd say you should either get a 1LE clean side separator (or Elite 1LE style) or hose clamp the end of that tube on the back of the motor, it's only under vacuum so at low vacuum it can come off or leak. I had a hose clamp on it but was never sure if that was enough.

Do you have a catch can?

No I don’t

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 06-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
No I don’t

I would definitely invest in a catch can and a clean side separator. Well documented on the forum. And maybe an upper induction cleaning depending on your current mileage.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 06-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
dtek

Oil leak maybe?

Quote:
I would definitely invest in a catch can and a clean side separator. Well documented on the forum. And maybe an upper induction cleaning depending on your current mileage.

Bought it a couple months ago with 95k mikes I’ve put about 3k on it. The dealership said they did some 4 point inspection but I highly doubt it.

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Cleaning the top end would definitely be worth it then. If you have a place that can walnut blast the valves that would be even better.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #12
dtek

Quote:
Cleaning the top end would definitely be worth it then. If you have a place that can walnut blast the valves that would be even better.

Will do but where is the oil actually coming from? And how did it get to the spark plug

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 06-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Well currently you have 2 PCV lines that can vent oil to the intake, the one at the top of the topic that pulls from the intake and the one on the other side of the motor that pulls from the middle of the intake manifold (where a catch can would go). My can pulls a few ounces every oil change (at least 4oz, half a can) that would be in the intake tract.

Spark plugs, I'm not sure. Could be multiple things. Check all your cylinders and go from there?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
wardbg

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Convertible
I had oil on the spark plug threads in a different type of car (Mazda 3, 2.3L I4). This was accompanied by a bad oil consumption problem. If you're driving it, I would check the oil daily. I ended up selling the car as-is, but I suspected leaking valve guides. I believe the oil has to be entering the combustion chamber close to the spark plug then the compression stroke forces it up through the threads. Maybe a long shot.
wardbg is offline   Reply With Quote