Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
kamkam1

Drives: 2ss
Front end shake ?

Hello camaro friends, so my wife has a 2010 2ss, it’s got 102,000 miles on it. She ordered the car, so it’s a one owner. Anyway it has a slight vibration when the brakes are pushed, kinda like it’s a warped rotor, but I put new rotors and pads on at 90,000 miles. If you push pedal slightly it starts vibrating, but if you stop more aggressively it does not vibrate and might not vibrate for several brake cycles. Could it be a front suspension part or strut ?
kamkam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Still sounds like a rotor, and just because it's new does not mean it could be a defect in it. But when you say you can hit the brakes hard and not have issues, and no issues for a while after..... could it be a caliper that needs to be rebuilt? Maybe the pistons is sticking and not engaging the pads to the rotor good.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
kamkam1

Thanks for the reply, the wobble or vibration feels like it’s wobbling faster than wheel rotation. On two occasions when I pulled away from a stop sign, I could wiggle the steering wheel and the wobble would start to show up. I can get on the brakes kinda firm and wobble goes away. The car does not pull left or right when the brakes are applied.. Thanks again in advance...
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Redvert12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Did you burn in the new pads after rotor replacement? Other places on this forum point to that as the main cause of this problem.
I currently am experiencing the same on my 2012. Turned rotors and replaced pads. I didn't do burn in and may end up replacing with new rotors and pads again.
Redvert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
With a warped rotor you should also feel the brake pedal pulse. If the pedal is pulsing then perhaps the rotor is not sitting flat against the hub. Was there vibration/pulsing immediately after replacing the rotors at 90k miles?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Check the wheel bearings closely, especially the passenger side for play or loosness rough when you rotate the tires. They are a sealed design and at 100k they are probably worn. I see them bad a lot on these newer GM cars.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Try re-torquing the front wheels to 140 ft/lbs. The rotors may not have seated well. Usually with the rotors I need to lightly sand the rust away from the hubs and back of rotors so that they would seat flat.

Secondly I am guessing wheel bearings or the front control arm bushing, which is fluid filled where it mounts to the frame.

Also if the rotors did not wear in evenly, there can be a pulsing effect as the pads "catch" better in certain regions along the rotor similar to if they are warped.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
I have the same issue. Front end shakes when brakes applied intermittently. I have R1 performance rotors and pads that are fairly new. Took it to the dealer yesterday, they said the steering dampener was leaking and had some play. I'm having them do a front end alignment and bleed the brakes as well.

They wanted to turn the rotors but If I remember correctly your not supposed to turn slotted/vented rotors.

Will post the results of the work I'm having done.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
I have a shake, but it is more at highway speeds. Still has not been diagnosed.
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
SRTLOL

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6M
I have shake when I am driving at highway speeds as well. My alignment is perfect and the wheels are perfectly balance. I was watching a video about similar year corvettes having bushings wearing out. Some company made a delrin replacement and the steering issues went away. I wonder if this could be an issue? I seriously hope it is not my steering rack because holy hell that is expensive!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
kamkam1

Replaced passenger side hub a few thousand miles before brake upgrade. Put on R1 rotors and pads on all four corners, burned in pads and everything has been good for a few thousand miles and then shake developed. I’ve checked out all front end components and they seem good, but I did find .015” runout on pass rotor. Is that enough to cause shake ?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Any luck? Been having a similar problem and pretty sure it’s not brakes. Gonna look into control arm bushings and ball joints.
Have you looked into the control arms yet?
Old 03-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
donaldblake

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Hey did you get that rack and pinion replaced? Did that fix your problem? Did you also have to get a wheel alignment? My 2011 Camaro SS needs the rack and pinion replaced. My car was experiencing at times violent shaking of the steering wheel especially if I hit a pothole. The dealer said it looks like I had a leak and the power steering fluid burned.
donaldblake is offline   Reply With Quote