Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #71
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
I used to own a 2004 Mustang Cobra vert which only had 390 hp but I remember it felt faster and more powerful than the L99 Camaro I tested.

A car will always feel faster when its heading into a crowd of people
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #72
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
A car will always feel faster when its heading into a crowd of people
LOL - I had a couple of scarey moments but fortunately I never crashed it. I eventually got tired of shifting (clutch was brutal in that car) and traded it in for an '06 GT auto vert. But I'm all better now though - I'm permanently back in the Camaro camp
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #73
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
I like how L99 owners respond to the supposed defensiveness of V6 owners with defensiveness of their own.
Not true... I don't give a damn what people think but when somebody puts down somebody else's car regardless of make of model. They better have something faster and better overall. Usually when asked to put their money where their mouth is the conversation ends quite quickly.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #74
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Okay, if we go by that premise, can it still be better, but not faster? Or, can it be faster, but not better?

Using that logic, I guess the new Mustang GT is better than all the V8's on here. Mod for mod, they get better results and their aftermarket is larger. Bone stock, they are faster. Modded, they're faster too. So, I guess that means the Mustang is better. Uh oh, we can't have that. Watch for certain L99 owners and even some 25+mpg LS3 owners come chiming in and try to flame me out for that one.

The only people putting down others are smug V8 owners. I've never seen so much hate towards the V6 and it comes from fellow Camaro owners. A V6 that makes 320+hp with an entry level price less than $20k and they hate them like they're Kia Stingers.

Some people need to get a clue. The V6 model is a Camaro too and some owners are proud to own them. Don't call their cars a slow POS because if you do, some of them or maybe just one of them will make you feel bad about your V8.

Like what was stated earlier in this thread. It's not what you have, but what you can make it into. Unfortunately for some of us, the aftermarket is weak or practically non existant and that makes it harder than others who have a stronger aftermarket.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:27 AM   #75
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Okay, if we go by that premise, can it still be better, but not faster? Or, can it be faster, but not better?

Using that logic, I guess the new Mustang GT is better than all the V8's on here. Mod for mod, they get better results and their aftermarket is larger. Bone stock, they are faster. Modded, they're faster too. So, I guess that means the Mustang is better. Uh oh, we can't have that. Watch for certain L99 owners and even some 25+mpg LS3 owners come chiming in and try to flame me out for that one.

The only people putting down others are smug V8 owners. I've never seen so much hate towards the V6 and it comes from fellow Camaro owners. A V6 that makes 320+hp with an entry level price less than $20k and they hate them like they're Kia Stingers.

Some people need to get a clue. The V6 model is a Camaro too and some owners are proud to own them. Don't call their cars a slow POS because if you do, some of them or maybe just one of them will make you feel bad about your V8.

Like what was stated earlier in this thread. It's not what you have, but what you can make it into. Unfortunately for some of us, the aftermarket is weak or practically non existant and that makes it harder than others who have a stronger aftermarket.
The 18 mustang is better than the camaro. They HAUL with that new 10 speed auto... People are in the 11's with them bone stock. I've never understood the brand fanboys.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 AM   #76
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

Wait what.....no its always the v6 guy ..like yourself trying to lift up the v6 Camaro..which is a fun car to the performance level of a v8. Your yourself said that your v6 manual is almost on par with a stock l99 and the snowflakes are the only ones thinking there is a difference between the two. In fact your always saying it. So don't try to show your hurt feelings here. I have 2 co workers with v6 Camaros and they love them...that's fine with me. But not once do they try to make them comparable to a v8 ..not once. So your going to be upset that I have to point out to you that you are not in the same class . Your car is fine no problem....but stop trying to make it something its not. You call v8s slow its you that has the hate and that's damn funny.

Last edited by rontammy0; 07-29-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #77
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
The 18 mustang is better than the camaro. They HAUL with that new 10 speed auto... People are in the 11's with them bone stock. I've never understood the brand fanboys.

From the article:

The Hot Rod gang clocked a time of 11.83 seconds at 119.51 mph. That was the best time of the day, but the guys report that the Mustang GT consistently posted high-11s with ease. The test vehicle was a brand-new, bone-stock Mustang GT equipped with the optional 10-speed automatic transmission and the Performance Package, which brings 460 horses, 420 lb-ft of torque and sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires. That's an improvement of 25 horses and 20 lb-ft over last year's model.

This test was performed on a prepared surface and with optimized tire pressures—26 psi for the rears and 45 psi for the front. None of that is trickery. Theoretically anyone can buy a new Mustang GT, head straight for a drag strip, play around with tire pressures, and match Hot Rod's results.

The manual ran a best of 12.3.

Road & Track has the SS faster than the GT, but not by much. As much as I dislike the new Camaro, I still like the looks over the Mustang. The new Mustang nose is hideous. Honestly, the best “looking” muscle car is still the land barge Challenger. Considering the issues being reported with the new 5.0 it looks like ford has over taxed its smaller engine to complete with Dodge & Chevy.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #78
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Considering the issues being reported with the new 5.0 it looks like ford has over taxed its smaller engine to complete with Dodge & Chevy.
Not even close... people are reliably over 1000rwhp on stock gen 1 coyotes. It’s just teething issues with a new engine
Old 07-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #79
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Not even close... people are reliably over 1000rwhp on stock gen 1 coyotes. It’s just teething issues with a new engine
What's teething issues mean n the automotive manufacturing world?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #80
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
I’m sure that’s comforting to the guy on his 3rd motor that was posted on here. I’ve experienced enough Ford “quality” that I have zero desire to own one again, although our Flex has been a pretty decent car since new, just underpowered. I have zero interest in the new Camaro vs Mustang wars, as I’ll never own either. If this one ever goes, I’d go with another Corvette, or back to German.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #81
Dusk_2SS

Drives: 2013 Dusk Special Edition 2SS/RS
Quote:
I’m not really searching for another car but if I find a ‘13/‘14 Blue Ray ZL-1 auto vert to test drive locally I will certainly be tempted I’m content with my current Camaro vert but I do like to test drive cool cars when the opportunity presents.

Again, I didn’t mean to insult L99 owners but I was expecting more from 400 horsepower. I used to own a 2004 Mustang Cobra vert which only had 390 hp but I remember it felt faster and more powerful than the L99 Camaro I tested.
Like I said before, if it's running 87 octane you are not getting 400 horses, more like 370.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 AM   #82
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
I’m not really searching for another car but if I find a ‘13/‘14 Blue Ray ZL-1 auto vert to test drive locally I will certainly be tempted I’m content with my current Camaro vert but I do like to test drive cool cars when the opportunity presents.

Again, I didn’t mean to insult L99 owners but I was expecting more from 400 horsepower. I used to own a 2004 Mustang Cobra vert which only had 390 hp but I remember it felt faster and more powerful than the L99 Camaro I tested.
Todays cars are more refined and deliver power silky smooth. What makes me laugh everytime.....and I mean everytime.. ...is the people that have no idea that Ls3 and l99 are almost exact performance wise. So calling an l99 a dog means you don't think much performance wise about the ls3. Both have proven to be rock solid and neither one holds a decisive performance advantage over the other. This info is 8 years old now. The gearing in the l99 more then makes up for the 26 crank horse power difference. The stock trans tune is very soft in the l99 and should be addressed. But line up the l99 against an ls3 or the few v6 guys that think there isn't much of a difference and judge for yourself. But if I'm you i would skip the SS all together and go Zl1 vert. If you wait long enough something will come up. Then at least you won't be second guessing yourself.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #83
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
One thing I would add is if the L99 tested only had 5000 miles it wasn't running full on yet. Many here, myself included, noted the L99 doesn't come alive until 6000 or more miles. I noticed my car wake up one day around the 6000 mile mark. I'm convinced there is something programmed into the car that won't unleash it until around those amount of miles but it's hard to say. I remember when I noticed the change in the cars behavior and I was kind of WTF it wants to go all of a sudden.

just thought it was worth a mention.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #84
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
One thing I would add is if the L99 tested only had 5000 miles it wasn't running full on yet. Many here, myself included, noted the L99 doesn't come alive until 6000 or more miles. I noticed my car wake up one day around the 6000 mile mark. I'm convinced there is something programmed into the car that won't unleash it until around those amount of miles but it's hard to say. I remember when I noticed the change in the cars behavior and I was kind of WTF it wants to go all of a sudden.

just thought it was worth a mention.
In some areas there is a winter blend gas and a summer blend. If your butt dyno is sensitive you might feel the difference.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote