Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
New NHRA rules?? roll cage

Just wondering exactly what this might mean for me? Does this mean that I don't need a roll cage?

My main question would be Does "unaltered" refer to suspension or mean totally stock, I.E. stock power train?

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/2...Amendments.pdf
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
1 BAD RS 2 SS

Drives: 2010 RS 2 SS
lets hope so . i don't want to cage my car either . 10.75 @ 128 for my new best , so i'm close on the mph side of the rules
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
white ZL1

Drives: none
...I heard about this the other night and was hoping someone could shed some more light on this?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Just wondering exactly what this might mean for me? Does this mean that I don't need a roll cage?

My main question would be Does "unaltered" refer to suspension or mean totally stock, I.E. stock power train?
By "unaltered" I think they mean that if you have a 2010 Camaro with a "Factory" block, then you are good. But if you have a 2010 Camaro with a 454 and a 9" rear end, then you probably are no longer within those guidelines. Now that "Factory" block could be built. I think that is what they are getting at.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Or do they mean cars like a zr1, viper, etc that run faster than that bone stock and any mods at all, means you still need a cage.

135mph still screws me over but if I could get the wife's car to go 10s without a cage I would be happy.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Or do they mean cars like a zr1, viper, etc that run faster than that bone stock and any mods at all, means you still need a cage.

135mph still screws me over but if I could get the wife's car to go 10s without a cage I would be happy.
As you know, my local track (Albuquerque) just said they heard from the NHRA and if a camaro has a supercharged that it did not come with stock then it will still need a roll cage. Now if it came with one (lets say a ZL575) then it's okay. That makes no sense to me at all as they are the same car?

oh well, I planned on putting a cage in this winter so I will just continue to do so.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
white ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
By "unaltered" I think they mean that if you have a 2010 Camaro with a "Factory" block, then you are good. But if you have a 2010 Camaro with a 454 and a 9" rear end, then you probably are no longer within those guidelines. Now that "Factory" block could be built. I think that is what they are getting at.
I doubt this. Unaltered typically is referring to the firewall and floor.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post

Can anyone shed light on this, thats going to be pretty important exactly what they mean by unaltered. does that mean factory block and drivetrain, or does it mean bonestock? Any idea`s on how to find out? I`m in the same boat, do not want a cage and can only go to track rentals where they look the other way.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
GMRULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
As you know, my local track (Albuquerque) just said they heard from the NHRA and if a camaro has a supercharged that it did not come with stock then it will still need a roll cage. Now if it came with one (lets say a ZL575) then it's okay. That makes no sense to me at all as they are the same car?

oh well, I planned on putting a cage in this winter so I will just continue to do so.

would not be hard to get a ZL575 badge...or ZL1 badging. How many homers at the track will know the difference.. Just sayn...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #10
GMRULZ

So from reading the below: it looks like if you have a supercharger you are out if you have an SS. ZL575 or ZL1 you are golden. Will be looking for my badging shortly...

SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, ENGINE:1, ENGINE (Page 3)
Must be same year and make as car used, aftermarket NHRA accepted cylinder blocks permitted. Equipment other than original factory-installed prohibited. Any special equipment export kit (superchargers, dealer-installed options, etc.) automatically disqualifies car. Engine must remain in stock location — height, setback, etc. Cylinder bores must not exceed .075 .080-inch over stock. Bores are measured at top of cylinder where ring wear is not evident. Crossbreeding parts prohibited. Normal balance job (i.e., one piston/rod assembly untouched) permitted. Otherwise lightening of component parts prohibited. All carburetors, manifolds, heads, etc. must be tightened to prevent any air or fuel leaks. Vacuum lines must be securely connected or blocked off. Stroke tolerance is +/- .015-inch. Stock OEM crankshaft mandatory. Stock OEM or NHRA-accepted aftermarket crankshaft mandatory. Aftermarket crank must retain OEM configuration; (i.e., billets, knife edging, etc. prohibited). Lightening of crankshaft other than normal balance job prohibited. Cylinder blocks may be sleeved. Aftermarket SFI Spec 18.1 harmonic balancer mandatory in AAA/S through G/S and AAA/SA through G/SA. See General Regulations 1:2.
SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, DRIVETRAIN:2, TRANSMISSION, Automatic (Page 6)
Any model transmission, same make as car, with a maximum of three forward speeds (unless OEM equipped with more than three forward speeds). (must be same make as car) having same number of forward speeds (O.D. gear not
required,) and reverse permitted. Transmission case must be OEM or aftermarket OEM replica from a standard, automotive application as found in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide. Aftermarket case must meet SFI Spec. 4.1 and 30.1. NHRA-accepted adapter plates permitted. Modifications to shifting patterns are permitted, provided full shift pattern is retained. Full shift pattern must include park and reverse. Any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Lockup converter permitted if OEM-equipped with lockup converter and OEM transmission is used. Otherwise, lockup converters prohibited. Electronic rpm controls for the electric (internal or external to the transmission) shifting of automatic transmissions permitted in computer-controlled vehicles only. Otherwise, any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. controls and shifters in all non-computer controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicles prohibited. Deepened stock or aftermarket transmission oil pans permitted. Drilling of transmission case or rear of engine block to adapt incompatible units prohibited. Functional neutral safety switch mandatory. Transmission brake prohibited. Tailshaft modifications for bushing replacement, or NHRA-accepted aftermarket tailshaft, permitted. See General Regulations 2:12, 2:14.
SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, INTERIOR:6, UPHOLSTERY (Page 9)
Must have full factory-type upholstery for year/model claimed, including factory-type floor mats or carpet, door panels and headliner, and front and rear seats. Interior gutting prohibited. Driver’s seat tracks may be bolted down. Sun visors optional. Rear seat may be removed when roll bar is installed; area must be carpeted or upholstered equivalent to factory specifications (no bare paneling). Full-size aftermarket or corporate OEM front seats permitted; must be upholstered and supported. See General Regulations 6:2.
SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM (Page 11)
Three-inch driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, mandatory in classes AAA/S through AA/S M/S, AAA/SA through AA/SA M/SA, all convertibles, and in any car running 11.49 or quicker. Restraint system must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. See General Regulations 10:5.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
MANNYS2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS,LS3
That sucks

LS-3, ProCharger D1SC
665. rwhp /562. rwtq @ 9.3 psi
MANNYS2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
ZL575s wouldn't count. Those are just modded cars from SLP. Would be no different than anyone else bolting a maggie on. ZL1s would count but the odds of them running faster than 11.5 bone stock is pretty much non-existent.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
So from reading the below: it looks like if you have a supercharger you are out if you have an SS. ZL575 or ZL1 you are golden. Will be looking for my badging shortly...

SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, ENGINE:1, ENGINE (Page 3)
Must be same year and make as car used, aftermarket NHRA accepted cylinder blocks permitted. Equipment other than original factory-installed prohibited. Any special equipment export kit (superchargers, dealer-installed options, etc.) automatically disqualifies car. Engine must remain in stock location — height, setback, etc. Cylinder bores must not exceed .075 .080-inch over stock. Bores are measured at top of cylinder where ring wear is not evident. Crossbreeding parts prohibited. Normal balance job (i.e., one piston/rod assembly untouched) permitted. Otherwise lightening of component parts prohibited. All carburetors, manifolds, heads, etc. must be tightened to prevent any air or fuel leaks. Vacuum lines must be securely connected or blocked off. Stroke tolerance is +/- .015-inch. Stock OEM crankshaft mandatory. Stock OEM or NHRA-accepted aftermarket crankshaft mandatory. Aftermarket crank must retain OEM configuration; (i.e., billets, knife edging, etc. prohibited). Lightening of crankshaft other than normal balance job prohibited. Cylinder blocks may be sleeved. Aftermarket SFI Spec 18.1 harmonic balancer mandatory in AAA/S through G/S and AAA/SA through G/SA. See General Regulations 1:2.
SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, DRIVETRAIN:2, TRANSMISSION, Automatic (Page 6)
Any model transmission, same make as car, with a maximum of three forward speeds (unless OEM equipped with more than three forward speeds). (must be same make as car) having same number of forward speeds (O.D. gear not
required,) and reverse permitted. Transmission case must be OEM or aftermarket OEM replica from a standard, automotive application as found in the Official NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide. Aftermarket case must meet SFI Spec. 4.1 and 30.1. NHRA-accepted adapter plates permitted. Modifications to shifting patterns are permitted, provided full shift pattern is retained. Full shift pattern must include park and reverse. Any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Lockup converter permitted if OEM-equipped with lockup converter and OEM transmission is used. Otherwise, lockup converters prohibited. Electronic rpm controls for the electric (internal or external to the transmission) shifting of automatic transmissions permitted in computer-controlled vehicles only. Otherwise, any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. controls and shifters in all non-computer controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicles prohibited. Deepened stock or aftermarket transmission oil pans permitted. Drilling of transmission case or rear of engine block to adapt incompatible units prohibited. Functional neutral safety switch mandatory. Transmission brake prohibited. Tailshaft modifications for bushing replacement, or NHRA-accepted aftermarket tailshaft, permitted. See General Regulations 2:12, 2:14.
SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, INTERIOR:6, UPHOLSTERY (Page 9)
Must have full factory-type upholstery for year/model claimed, including factory-type floor mats or carpet, door panels and headliner, and front and rear seats. Interior gutting prohibited. Driver’s seat tracks may be bolted down. Sun visors optional. Rear seat may be removed when roll bar is installed; area must be carpeted or upholstered equivalent to factory specifications (no bare paneling). Full-size aftermarket or corporate OEM front seats permitted; must be upholstered and supported. See General Regulations 6:2.
SECTION 10A: STOCK CARS, DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM (Page 11)
Three-inch driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, mandatory in classes AAA/S through AA/S M/S, AAA/SA through AA/SA M/SA, all convertibles, and in any car running 11.49 or quicker. Restraint system must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. See General Regulations 10:5.
same here....I will look for badging my car....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
white ZL1

I still don't think you guys are any closer to the truth. I'm pretty sure that the rules above are referring to the stock car classes.
NHRA stock car

The amendment above is referring to Street Legal.