Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Mp3 player problem

Hi Guys,

I noticed something on my car... and I ask you guys today to see if you guys have the same problem. I use a mini USB stick for my music. Not an ipod, or CD, or Radio. Just a 4 gb stick, with music.

The music is categorized in folders for albums, etc. The problem I have is, everytime I turn OFF the car, then turn it back ON, the sound system settings are reset. This includes my Bass, treble settings. My Play mode, and it ignores the folder its in. So for example, if I left my playmode on Repeat, when i restart the car, it doesnt repeat. If i choose track 1 from Album A, it doesnt continue to play on Album A, it starts playing EVERYTHING i have Alphabetically.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I KNOW this is a problem because my old cars don't have these issues =p They play from where they left off, and they keep their playmodes and options intact.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
It's not really a problem, its just the way the software is, for whatever reason. Everytime you turn the key off, then start the car, it must re-index, it should play the song it was currently playing, but will then go in alphabetical order, you must turn on random play again.. atleast thats how Chantilly behaves, however, her sound settings (bass, treble, ect) stay where I set them and do not change.

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
My USB picks up right where I left off in mid-song. The Tone settings are the same too.

Something is wrong with yours, I think.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
jagan323
I have no life

thanks for your replies... thats some crappy software on GM's side lol. Oh well, it's not unbearable.. and the Camaro is still worth it even with problems here and there. I'll live, lol =D
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
I know nothing about ipods & mp3.... But, I'm just dangerous enough to try and learn.

I purchased a mp3 yesterday. I down loaded some music, plugged it into the car, and it works just fine......lol. The music selection shows on the stereo and I choose the song I want. Mine also starts where it left off, after turning the vehicle back on, so I'm not sure it's the Camaro causing your troubles.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
I know nothing about ipods & mp3.... But, I'm just dangerous enough to try and learn.

I purchased a mp3 yesterday. I down loaded some music, plugged it into the car, and it works just fine......lol. The music selection shows on the stereo and I choose the song I want. Mine also starts where it left off, after turning the vehicle back on, so I'm not sure it's the Camaro causing your troubles.

M
nono... mine DOES play where it left off... but options like Song repeat, and playlists dont work. Like, if I go into my car, and I want it to play ALBUM A, it will play Album A fine... but if I turn off my car and turn it on again, it starts where it left off, but then starts playing Alphabetically on the song NAME you are currently on. Lol.. hope im not confusing you =p

so for a visual... Album A contains songs called:

01 - yeah baby cakes.mp3
lala im a cool song.mp3
this is track 3.mp3
track 4 yay.mp3

So yeah, if you play from a CD, it plays chronologically from top down right? Yep, the Camaro can do that too... but only when you set it up when your engine is on. Once you turn it off, and on the songs go into Global Alphabetical... so EVERY song from EVERY album will be playing alphabetically:

lala im a cool song.mp3 (From Album A)
loser lol.mp3 (From Album C)
lost at sea lol.mp3 (From Album G)
man this is so bad.mp3 (From Album A)

I'm sure you get it now lol. Try it out... it gets REALLY annoying sometimes. Cuz you have to set it up all over again! Even options like Repeat Song, and Play Random, resets everytime you restart the car lol. It may not affect you... but if you are particular to what song you drive with, then this is a flaw from Chevy that I have to facepalm =(
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
LOL.....I don't understand ....but I will believe you.....lol. I know just enough to be dangerous with all these new electronic devices.

So I will " " myself!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Topher5000

Drives: Yellow 2SS/RS
I believe I read in this forum that playlists only work on iPods.
I've about given up on flash drives. I've tried 2 and after the Camaro indexes the music, it stops playing the song & says that there are no supported files. Apparently iPods do the indexing themselves & support playlists.
Topher5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Thanks topher, I'm just so lazy to plug in my iphone everytime i wanna listen to music lol. I stuck with flashdrives cuz i can just leave them in the center compartment =p
Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
Rain Ashton

Drives: toyato

For the many years of owning MP3 players and portable devices I have always just thrown my MP3 players and mobile phones in the little dash holes or center console. It’s always a royal pain scrabbling to answer the phone or change the tracks and I hate to admit it has nearly caused accidents.I had dash mounts before, but they were always such rubbish. They clipped awkwardly onto the vent louvers and I actually broke the vent in one of my dope rides ‘88 Civic wagon back in college. With those painful experiences I have been put off by car mounted devices.I have been eyeing this ProClip setup for many years, but am finally getting a change to check them out.

HID Kit
Rain Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #11
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
this really SUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Hi Guys,

I noticed something on my car... and I ask you guys today to see if you guys have the same problem. I use a mini USB stick for my music. Not an ipod, or CD, or Radio. Just a 4 gb stick, with music.

The music is categorized in folders for albums, etc. The problem I have is, everytime I turn OFF the car, then turn it back ON, the sound system settings are reset. This includes my Bass, treble settings. My Play mode, and it ignores the folder its in. So for example, if I left my playmode on Repeat, when i restart the car, it doesnt repeat. If i choose track 1 from Album A, it doesnt continue to play on Album A, it starts playing EVERYTHING i have Alphabetically.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I KNOW this is a problem because my old cars don't have these issues =p They play from where they left off, and they keep their playmodes and options intact.
i never subscribed to the portable IPOD/MP3 player ideology, so i too use a USB stick and upload a gigabyte or two of music at a time to it. i have had a number of problems with it.

- a while back, i was having troubles with the display screen freezing while the songs kept playing. yes, it froze, and i could not navigate through the menus or anything until i shut off and restarted my car. the dealer kept my car for several days, and ended up "flashing" the system, and i never had a problem with the screen display again.

- just recently i went back to the dealer with the complaint that the radio didn't keep the proper date. after a few months it will always be off by a day or two. so they did some "re-calibration", and ever since this took place, my "Random" setting doesn't play the songs at random at all. they play in alphabetical order when i select "Random." so no i have to go back and complain again, everyone there knows me by name when they see me.

but yes, jagan, i have almost the exact same problem as you. here's what happens with me...

- i plug in my USB stick and let everything index.
- i select the folder and the track that i want to start playing.
- i will drive around town, get halfway through the album, then park and get out right in the middle of a song.
- i get back in my car and start it up... the song picks up right where it left off. but the song that is chosen next can come from any folder on the drive, whichever is next in alphabetical order. and the music proceeds in alphabetical order unless i go through the menu options and re-select the folder and the file that i want to play.

this totally sucks. i've done everything right. i've gone through my catalog and edited everything properly so it "should" play correctly in any computerized device.

KeepItGreasey - USB Device
- Black Sabbath
- Blue Öyster Cult
- Pink Floyd
.....(1971) MEDDLE
.....(1973) DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
.....(1975) WISH YOU WERE HERE
.....(1977) ANIMALS
..........01 - Pigs On The Wing (Part I).mp3
..........02 - Dogs.mp3
..........03 - Pigs (Three Different Ones).mp3
..........04 - Sheep.mp3
..........05 - Pigs On The Wing (Part II).mp3

silly me, i always figured things would operate more like all of the other GM vehicles that will read mp3's off burned cd's. you know, how you can skip between folders with a single push of a button, and when you shut off and restart your car the music picks up right where you left off, and then continues onto the next folder once the last track in the folder was played. but no, even on a long drive, the folder just repeats, and you have to manually move through the menu's and select the next folder (and make sure to select the first track, not just the track that is highlighted when you open the folder).

another thing that T's me O is the fingerprint smudges on the inside of the plastic display cover.

the dealership is going to absolutely HATE me by the time my warranty is up, because i'm not going to stop complaining until every little thing that i notice is fixed.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
jagan323
I have no life

LOL KeepItGreasey, thats the way to go! Hammer those GM guys until they freakin decide to update the damn device lol. That is all software related issue, so if they wanted to they could have a fix by tomorrow. (iPhone issues has been handled in a day)

Well, it does suck, but as I mentioned in one of my posts... its not SO bad that it would make me hate the car. It's just something you have to live with lol. =p But yes, playing from MP3 CDs probably work. I havent actually tried that O_o lol