Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
evan
ready...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Smile For the girls of the forum, I need help...

My cousin...The girl is 15, she's pretty, the youngest of her 5 siblings(next oldest being 22) She doesn't get much attention from her parents due to their busy lives, her other siblings have numerous problems of their own so there is no stability for them to give her attention either...
The whole of their family lives in a very distant part of the U.S. from the rest of us, so it's difficult to keep contact except with facebook and texts. She is going through what I would imagine typical teen girl problems, and it being winter doesn't help. What do I say to get the girl to open up or cheer up or whatever?

I'm no parent, but family is important to me. Any advice from you girls or parents?
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
depending on what issues she has, and seeing as how she is in school. The first thing is she needs to realize and recognize is that she needs help, of some kind. Encourage her to go to a school counselor, at least they should have the contacts and point her in the right direction.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
Do not give up. Let her know you are there and she is loved and important. Girls that age need to know that they matter. That they contribute and are needed. Im sure she is dealing with either boys or friends that are not the best role models.

Find her interests and emphisize on that. Keep her active. If weight is a problem for her, do not tell her directly you want to help. Redirect it. If you need help in that area, let her know that you need a work out partner or you need someone to push you and that will get her motivated.

I raised two girls and I went through the whole thing. It gets better but do not give up. Be involved. Good luck
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
depending on what issues she has, and seeing as how she is in school. The first thing is she needs to realize and recognize is that she needs help, of some kind. Encourage her to go to a school counselor, at least they should have the contacts and point her in the right direction.
Good advice. That and maybe get her a full spectrum lamp (the light gives off Vitamin D). I know a few people who have seasonal depression (not saying she's depressed - but most people are more glum during winter months) and the full spectrum lamps really helped them get back the spring in their step.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Just be there for her, let her know u care. Heck send her some flowers. Teens r hard especially girls I know cuz I use to b one, lol. Sometimes just having someone listen is what we need. The problems may seem petty to u but its a big deal to her. Good luck and kudos for caring and wanting to get involved. More people need someone like u in their life.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Definitely send her some flowers! I'd send them to her school so her classmates will all see them, I loved it when my parents did that Maybe take her out, to a movie, a quick shop, whatever you like, talk to her a bit. Let her know you're there for her.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
evan
ready...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
All good advice, thanks everyone. I'll see what I can do. Finally got her to open up a bit, so that's a start.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote