Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #225
Yardgnome
Do the truffle shuffle

Drives: its black and its a POS :)
Since I am relatively new to this forum, though I have been reading the threads since March, just have to congratulate Scott(Fbod) and the whole Camaro team!! a job well done indeed....
Yardgnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #226
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Interesting that some people see things one way and some another......

The base headlamp is a reflector optic lamp -- which means very good light coverage at a reasonable price. (go check out a 98/02 Firebird versus a 98/02 Camaro -- try 'em both out at night while in a dark parking lot.....-- you'll see what I mean...)

The Halo headlamps are expen$$ive -- and it's crucial that we bring this car in at a very reasonable price.

Headlamps must perform -- but it's also a feature that some don't care about........just as long as they perform well at night!............so it makes sense to include them in the RS package.
Just thought I'd clarify that even with the, to use my own terms, 'cheap and mundane' looking headlights it's a fantastic looking car. No offense was intended.

I just MUCH prefer the look of the halo's.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #227
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
OK -- repeat after me: NOT $40,000 !

The dealer is guessing. We have not announced pricing and we don't intend to until around the first of the year.

NOT $40,000 -- this car will be very affordable.
These words keep me hoping against hope the Camaro is going to shock us all with it's final price(s). About $35/36,000 is my limit.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #228
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Hot damn... cross drilled rotors.
That was a picture of the Camaro Concept...just FYI...not the production version. You can tell by the 22 inch wheels...the custom cut goodyear tires...the open side vents...and the skinny side-view mirrors...just to name a few things.

But that doesn't mean we won't be able to have cross-drilled rotors on the Brembo equipped SS!

Edit:...dang it Dragon...you beat me! I added a few more reasons, though

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #229
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Interesting that some people see things one way and some another......

The base headlamp is a reflector optic lamp -- which means very good light coverage at a reasonable price. (go check out a 98/02 Firebird versus a 98/02 Camaro -- try 'em both out at night while in a dark parking lot.....-- you'll see what I mean...)

The Halo headlamps are expen$$ive -- and it's crucial that we bring this car in at a very reasonable price.

Headlamps must perform -- but it's also a feature that some don't care about........just as long as they perform well at night!............so it makes sense to include them in the RS package.
Since some of the pieces of the RS package are for the v6, but otherwise standard on the SS, will the RS package be cheaper for the SS customers?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #230
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
well -- we learned a long time ago (unlike some people we won't mention....) that there is this thing called a "Dyno" -- and if you advertise a horsepower, you'd better be SURE you can deliver.

If we advertise 422hp -- you can write it in Granny's Bible that all cars will have at least 422 hp with that particular engine.
Even on something as notoriously conservative as a Mustang Dyno? I know, the name alone means the car shouldn't be on it, but c'mon! Oh, and I'll just pretend to not realized what company, erm...I mean "people" you're talking about.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #231
Dark Eric

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
Wow this car looks great! I would place SS badging on the side as well instead of Camaro. Or "Camaro SS" badges.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #232
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
well -- we learned a long time ago (unlike some people we won't mention....) that there is this thing called a "Dyno" -- and if you advertise a horsepower, you'd better be SURE you can deliver.

If we advertise 422hp -- you can write it in Granny's Bible that all cars will have at least 422 hp with that particular engine.
Man, Scott, I LOVE you're style!!

Subtle, but only enough to leave me giddy as a schoolgirl waitin' for this car! :P

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #233
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
man i dont know about you guys but i want to see the SS WHip some s5 and m3 ass. oh yeah and the 350 and g37
Z/28orSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #234
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Vette new Camaro comparisons are in some ways inappropriate. If you removed the rear seats from a Camaro the weight would come down -- within a couple of hundred pounds. As it stands it is 700 pounds more than the Vette. The Camaro is a much larger vehicle.

Body 16" Longer
Wheel Base 6" Longer
Track 1" Wider
These are all rounded numbers.

What do you get for 700 pounds? You get a much larger interior and trunk would be the shallow reply. The more in depth reply would be the new Camaro is more luxury GT than two seat super car -- BUT the Camaro will perform in many ways like the smaller and lighter Vette. GM invested almost two billion dollars to bring the new Camaro to the showroom between the development of ZETA and and the update of the line to build the Camaro. The chassis is solid as a rock. The most structurally sound monocoque chassis in the GM car family is either ZETA or 322 (CTS) depending on who you talk to. The Camaro is a revised ZETA. ZETA II is tighter than ZETA -- more structurally sound with small refinements to handle more powerful engines, brakes and larger tire and wheel packages. It will deliver with higher spring and damping rates than the Pontiac G8 with a lower stance. It will handle very well in the twisties and feel much lighter than the curb weight.

Unlike any other Camaro ever built the car will be rock solid. The virtual pivot points in the front suspension move the front wheel pivot to the outer side of the wheel. This increases the stability of the front wheels in aggressive manoeuvres. The IRS has NO wheel hop -- NONE. In OE trim the Camaro will be the best hand lining Camaro ever built by GM. It is a stunning performer.

A reference was made earlier in the thread to suspension modifications. Something along the lines of why buy a new car that needs suspension work? Good question. The need is relative. The car will drive like a dream from the factory. With some suspension tweaks it drives like the same dream on steroids. I have probably said this before so excuse me for saying it again. Until you actually drive a ZETA vehicle you can't imagine what you will be getting in a Camaro. Test drive a G8 at your local Pontiac store to get an idea. Keep in mind the Camaro will wear larger tires and wheels, with more aggressive suspension tuning so it is only a hint at what the Camaro will be. GM may be slow to market with the ZETA II Camaro, but it will be worth the wait and the price of admission. You'll get a Camaro that is solid, stable and fast -- easy to drive fast -- very fast. You'll be able to run a road course with a Camaro and three of your best friends -- almost as fast as a Vette.
Excellent info, thanks!
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #235
06TBSS

Drives: '06 TrailblazerSS / '05 Evo RS
400-500 lbs to loose? I'm thinking....remove useless 5 mph crash beams, all trunk lining/insulation/spare tire/jack, all airbags and associated deployment, goto a mini battery, sound system delete, replace probable heavy cast 20's w/ 18-19" 3 piece wheels and resonated exhaust instead of the heavy(looking) rear muffs. If your really racing then back seat and more interior paneling delete including console for a possible 3150-3250 car.
'06 TBSS-Vector tune/CAI, '05 Evo RS,....300whp AWD, 3150 lbs, Defi H.U.D, Past GM's: '85 442 Cutlass, '89 IROC-Z L98 EFI trapped 107mph, '92 1LE Z28(stock), '00 Silverado 3/5 drop Budnik 20'sI <3 my HUD
06TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #236
KevinK

Drives: '02 SS 345/M6 conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvrine View Post
Hey Kevin,
Do you know how long the Camaro will be up there in the Spring Mountains??
I'm not too far from there.
...missed your post until this morning...
Those photos were taken Aug 6-7th, ...the cars were there during that time frame. Where abouts in LV are you located? ...I was there until the 12th visiting my brother (who lives in the Charleston/Rainbow area).
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #237
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Really? I respect your opinion, but when I look at the non-halo headlights they just looks mundane and cheap to me. They actually look no more high class than those on my Aveo...
To each his own. I don't like halo headlights and am glad they aren't standard equipment.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #238
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
something I noticed

Hey, um, did anyone else notice that the convertible GM has on the camaro website seems to have the same grille as the SS in these photos? The only differences I can see are that it has Halo headlights and the bowtie is absent. (well that and there's no SS badge that I can see. ) Any thoughts?

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/insi...y/?id=cid00016
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote