Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
homesick

Drives: working on one
How loud is the non npp muffler delete

How loud is the non npp muffler delete with the cats?I don't want to pay the outrageous price for the axle backs. I'm thinking about going this route just don't want it to be really loud
homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick View Post
How loud is the non npp muffler delete with the cats?I don't want to pay the outrageous price for the axle backs. I'm thinking about going this route just don't want it to be really loud

From the videos I have seen the muffler is not much of a restriction and removing it doesn't sound much louder than stock. All of the restriction is from the cats back to the stock manifold.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
homesick

I just wanted it to sound like a muscle car the non npp exhaust only sounds good at cold starts
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
thundercrakcer

Drives: Summit White 2SS, M6
I can't speak for anyone that did a muffler delete only, but I have the Flowmaster Outlaw axle back and their X-pipe and it was much louder then stock non NPP. The videos don't do the muffler delete or Flowmasters justice.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I have the MBRP catback system which essentially is a muffler delete with 3 inch pipe. I have a vid with a decibel meter if you wanna check it out. It's not too loud at all under normal driving conditions.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
homesick

I don't want it to loud just to sound mean I had a gto that sounded like a dragster when you got on it.you could hear it miles away
Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Stryfe
Make America Fast Again

Drives: 2016 HBM 1SS - M6
I have a non-npp car with a muffler delete. It's not obnoxious, that's for sure. It does sound really mean and "muscle-car" like, but it is very loud at WOT. That's no doubt.

Worth the $50 in my opinion.
Stryfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
TORRES185

Drives: 2016 1SS
I also have a non npp with the muffler delete and it definitely sounds much better now. It actually sounds like a V8 now!
TORRES185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
homesick

Is it about as loud as the npp exhaust with the valves open. Also do you still have your cats and does it drone bad
Old 06-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Can always try the delete, and then add some aftermarket axle-back mufflers back in if you don't like it

As others have said, it's definitely louder that factory. The point of too loud is tough to nail down person to person, though. I personally don't have any issues with not having mufflers since it's livable and still pretty calm at idle, but it's definitely gonna be heard over most cars around you when you step on the gas.

On my car, drone was a little excessive until a resonator was added to it. I also went to a larger tube size and an H-pipe setup, so I couldn't say what a straight muffler delete would do.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
2SSLOWW

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
I did the secondary cat delete and the muffler delete but I also had an x-pipe installed which makes my car a lot meaner. Not sure what it sounds like without the x-pipe. But I'll try and upload a clip of what mine sounds like. Overall I only paid about $160 for that setup. I think it was 80 for the x-pipe and 80 for the Work at a local shop.
2SSLOWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
Dator

Drives: 2017 1SS HBM
Can someone explain the delete process to me? Are you just taking it to a shop, having the muffler cut out and running a pipe between where the muffler was? Is it that easy?
Dator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #13
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSLOWW View Post
I also had an x-pipe installed which makes my car a lot meaner. Not sure what it sounds like without the x-pipe.
Did you mean an H-pipe? These cars already have an X-pipe from the factory. If that's the case, I would second this one. H-pipes are generally a deeper/throatier note when compared to the X-pipe. The MRT exhaust I have comes with an h-pipe, makes it sound great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dator View Post
Can someone explain the delete process to me? Are you just taking it to a shop, having the muffler cut out and running a pipe between where the muffler was? Is it that easy?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Just cut out the suitcase muffler and put tubing in to replace the removed portion.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
Dator

Drives: 2017 1SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Did you mean an H-pipe? These cars already have an X-pipe from the factory. If that's the case, I would second this one. H-pipes are generally a deeper/throatier note when compared to the X-pipe. The MRT exhaust I have comes with an h-pipe, makes it sound great!

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Just cut out the suitcase muffler and put tubing in to replace the removed portion.
Is there a kit to purchase that are proper fitting pipes or should I just expect a local shop to be able to fit it. Sorry for the noobish questions. Just got my camaro 2 weeks ago
Dator is offline   Reply With Quote