Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
rallyyellow
The Politician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS
Lightbulb STORY... Cool iPhone 3GS and AUX feature (might work on other phones)

I hate paying for those OnStar minutes and I don't like to use my cell phone while driving. So, while cleaning out my closet, I found an AUX cable and thought to myself, "doesn't my Camaro have a connection for this?" Now, I had my iPhone plugged in the USB port, but I hate the fact that I can't control the iPod through the actual iPod app (as does my girlfriend). As I plugged in my iPhone 3GS to the AUX port, I thought that if I could find an AUX cable with a mic on it I could just use the AUX feature on the Camaro to talk on my iPhone "hands free". I plugged in the iPhone to the AUX port and called my girlfriend, and she picked up! I could hear her great through the speakers. Thinking that there was no way the mic on the iPhone could work while essentially having the iPhone plugged in to a set of headphones with no mic, I made a pretty "suggestive comment" towards my girlfriend and she responded "wouldn't YOU like that!". WTH!?!?!?!? How could she hear me? I doesn't matter. What matters is that I now can use my iPhone instead of OnStar to make calls.

Maybe this will work on other phones??? Try it out and see! What's great about the 3GS is that it has voice recognition/ dialing, so it's pretty close to what OnStar does!

I know you could probably do the same thing with bluetooth, but us iPhone people know that with BT on, your phone will last about an hour before dying lol
Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
nwotank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Rally Yellow
was it the iphone mic that you ended up using? did you have it in speaker phone mode?
nwotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
Why don't you just use the blutooth feature and cut the cord? You can use the onstar button to activate your iPhone and use your iPhone as normal to control music.

Edit: Just read the last sentence of your post... I leave my Blutooth on all day and it doesn't drain that quickly.
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
rallyyellow
The Politician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwotank View Post
was it the iphone mic that you ended up using? did you have it in speaker phone mode?
Nope, it was not in speakerphone mode.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
rallyyellow
The Politician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChen View Post
Why don't you just use the blutooth feature and cut the cord? You can use the onstar button to activate your iPhone and use your iPhone as normal to control music.

Edit: Just read the last sentence of your post... I leave my Blutooth on all day and it doesn't drain that quickly.
Well, mine will last about 12 hours with push notifications on, mid brightness, exchange account, and 3G. Of course, I use AIM and facebook quite a lot on my phone, so that might contribute to my battery life. I also have the invisishield on my iPhone, so I try to not let my phone get too hot (talking with bluetooth on just makes that poor phone run so hot).
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
DFollis

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS
I just tried connecting mine via blue tooth and its not working so great... It says its connected to Gmusic and all but when you key in a phone number it's really delayed coming through the speakers and you cant hear the other person at all. Any suggestions???
DFollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Wow, that seems like too much work. I use my bluetooth for streaming music and talkin on the phone.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelZ View Post
Wow, that seems like too much work. I use my bluetooth for streaming music and talkin on the phone.
yo jewelz where the hell have u been?
i hope everything is good with you.
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I make blue tooth calls in my car regularly. It works great. Just get a charger for your Iphone.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelZ View Post
Same here, I have my iPod plugged in via USB in the center console and use a car charger to keep my iPhone charged while driving if needs be.

Also, the mic on the iPhone works the same regardless of whether your in speakerphone mode or not, so you can remove the mic and try to call her and she will hear you just the same as you iPhone is just picking up your voice as normal, you don't have to have it to your head to be heard in non speaker phone mode.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
im not understanding any of this. I have a iphone 3gs and i use a auxillary cord, the kind u can get at walmart and best buy for cars, to listen to music all the time. but are u saying i can talk on the phone wit it hooked up???
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
The USB plug in the console charges your iPhone, right??? It charges my iPod...
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
CRZ

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS RJT Camaro
1) Yes, the USB port will charge an iPhone.
2) If you're using all those cords, there's no reason why you couldn't connect your phone to the USB port to offset the BT drain and just use your phone w/ the BT connection. I have an iphone and do this all the time.
3) You might want to see someone about your phone overheating. I talk on my phone regularly with the BT connection on and Trapster running and it gets warm, but not hot to the touch.

Basically, if you're happy with the way you've currently rigged it, more power to you -- but I think you might be reinventing the wheel a bit.
CRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
rallyyellow
The Politician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbo View Post
im not understanding any of this. I have a iphone 3gs and i use a auxillary cord, the kind u can get at walmart and best buy for cars, to listen to music all the time. but are u saying i can talk on the phone wit it hooked up???
Yes.