#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
1600 Mile Trip in ZLE

Hi!

Looks like I found a car! Put a deposit down and am flying out to see it on Friday. If everything goes well, will be driving it back this weekend. Its a 2018, low mile ZLE in TX.

Any tips for the 1600 mile drive back to the bay area, CA!?

I was going to get some track armour, or something similar, but now it won't be here in time. My fault! Anyone have experience with blue painters tape? Especially in the rain? I read the green tape works better? I was going to overlap by half so there is essentially two layers of protection. It looks stupid, but I don't want to get all the bugs and rocks for so many miles. If anyone has any other ideas for something I can get local, I tried looking for clear tape meant for cars locally, can't find anything. If anyone is local and has a roll they wouldn't mind selling, I would appreciate!!

My goal is to be back by Sunday, but depending on how I am feeling and what time I finish at the dealership on Friday, I might try to make it back late Saturday. Anyone done something similar? Drove 14+ hours in a day?

Any advice on what to bring? So far, i am thinking:

tape
microfibers to clean up the front of the car for taping
cell phone holder for inside the car
snacks for the road (beef jerky)

I am super excited obviously, but also I know its going to be a pain of a drive. Also trying to not get super set in case there are issues with the car when I see it in person.

Thanks!!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
As for tape...I'd stay away from the blue or green if you can.

While they are low residue, they will leave lines if you leave it on for a while. Especially in the sun or wet.

I would recommend the 3M Yellow tape. That's a 'no residue' product.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036C0PVI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_RZS9FF98AJJD8GC7GJ0W

Don't tape the vinyl.

Enjoy the trip. I don't envy the beating your ass is about to take with the ZLE ride.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
You should see if you can get this next day from Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Camaro-NoviSt...9638212&sr=8-3

I used this for my short trip to get PPF done on my front bumper. You will still have to put painters tape over the front bumper thats not covered by the novistretch. I've read that a lot of people had good experiences with this. As for the painters tape, it should hold up. I've done it on my previous cars but again nothing that great of a distance. Definitely not sure if the painters tape will hold up in the rain. i purchased my 2018 zle from NH and paid to have it shipped enclosed. Very costly shipping it coast to coast but i wasnt about to drive 3500 miles back to the bay area. Good luck and i hope it works out!
Old 04-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #4
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
As for tape...I'd stay away from the blue or green if you can.

While they are low residue, they will leave lines if you leave it on for a while. Especially in the sun or wet.

I would recommend the 3M Yellow tape. That's a 'no residue' product.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036C0PVI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_RZS9FF98AJJD8GC7GJ0W

Don't tape the vinyl.

Enjoy the trip. I don't envy the beating your ass is about to take with the ZLE ride.
No tape on the hood? Why is that? Won't stick? I read that this black vinyl chips really easy.

The reviews for the yellow tape, lots of people say it doesn't stick well though? I was thinking if the tape doesnt stick too well, especially with rain it may not hold up?

I should have bought this darn track armor or armordilo tape months ago lol.

Yea, the ride will be a bit harsh. this definitely crossed my mind lol. but i am used to it. lots of cars with coilovers and way worse suspensions over the years.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
You should see if you can get this next day from Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Camaro-NoviSt...9638212&sr=8-3

I used this for my short trip to get PPF done on my front bumper. You will still have to put painters tape over the front bumper thats not covered by the novistretch. I've read that a lot of people had good experiences with this. As for the painters tape, it should hold up. I've done it on my previous cars but again nothing that great of a distance. Definitely not sure if the painters tape will hold up in the rain. i purchased my 2018 zle from NH and paid to have it shipped enclosed. Very costly shipping it coast to coast but i wasnt about to drive 3500 miles back to the bay area. Good luck and i hope it works out!
Thanks! 3500 would be an insane trip. 1500 was kinda my max, so this is pushing it a bit.

I always was hesitant on these novistretch type things because if you get a small rock or anything really under the cover, it will really mess up your paint. I have seen old school leather covers taken off and the car looks horrible under it.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I drive mine 1400 miles home from the dealership. I didn’t want to leave tape residue on my car using painters tape. So I just took my chances abs drove it home with no protection. I ended up catching one noticeable ding on my hood. If I had it to do over again I would either have the dealer send the car out for ppf before I picked it up or I would use the tape anyway and worry about cleaning off the tape residue after the trip.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I would use the tape anyway and worry about cleaning off the tape residue after the trip.
My thoughts exactly. If it takes an hour + to get the residue off, I think protecting the paint is worth it.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I bought my ZL1 in TX and drove it back to Phoenix. No issues, just a VERY boring drive across Texas. *boring yet I was doing nothing but 140+ pulls lol. didn't put anything on it and just had a shit ton of bugs up front.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Its a used car, drive it...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #10
BRM ZL1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I second the Novi Stretch. It also keeps bugs out the of big grill on the ZLE. I have one on mine and love it for long trips. Let us know how the trip goes. I have done alot of 1k miles one day going to Florida but they have been in my Ram truck with the family 14 Hrs is a long day driving. Thought about taking the Auto train when I take the ZLE to FL in July for our anniversary just me and and the wife but after some talk here on the forum decided to drive it. Be interested to know how you trip goes. My advice stack up on coffee and snacks.
Attached Images

BRM ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I did a 1600 mile trip from MD to TN and back in the course of 4 days.

With some quick stops for gas and stretching my legs - the trip was uneventful. The car was fine.

Key thing is I have Michelin PS4S tires on my car. The stock GY3R tires have a stiff sidewall which are only meant for the track. Those tires will not help you with ride comfort (Especially over rough roads/highway expansion joints). The GY3R are extremely sketchy in the rain.

My advice is to have the car's tires swapped to something more street/rain friendly before pickup (Hankook Evo2, Conti Extreme Contact or PS4S).

Last edited by Checkmate1; 04-28-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Checkmate1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
BRM ZL1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Agree with Checkmate hopefully the stock GY3R are not on the car they are scary in the rain.
BRM ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #13
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
where in TX are you getting the car?
I've got Protect 'N Peel kit that I'll let you have. It's a liquid that rolls on and then dries for protection. No idea how it will do on the wrapped hood.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
Staves

Drives: women crazy
All these posts about God forbid.....it might get a rock chip from the road. It's a car, not a museum piece. Just drive it. Holy crap. Never spent a dime on paint protection or any of that and have driven my SS on 800mi round trips 4 times.