Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
pwssycamaro

Drives: Chevy Camaro Ls
Sanding to make touch-up paint smooth

Saw a video on youtube on how to smooth out and blend my touch up paint. Basically steps are: water, sand with 2000 grit, wipe off, wax on then wax off, then some thin polisher. Repeat till paint is smooth. I did that 2 times, now my paint is hazy and it wont come off. What can I do to correct the haze and other touched up areas?
Attached Images

pwssycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
I'm no expert but I do some painting here and there.

I assume you're wet sanding (soak sandpaper in water and wet the paint)? When you wet the paint does the haze disappear? If so then that's a start because that means the clear coat has been damaged but not penetrated.

You'll want to wet sand the touch-up until it's flat and smooth and can't feel it when you slide your finger over it (maybe put tape around the touch-up so that you don't cut into the clear coat around the touch-up too much), then go over the whole area with a rubbing compound then polish. If you don't have rubbing compound (basically a more aggressive polish) then you can get away with just polish, will just take longer.

If wet sanding is taking a long time you can try 1500 or even 1000, or if that makes you uncomfortable just stick with the 2000 - again it'll just take longer. Once smooth, just keep going with the polishing as evenly as you can around the whole area until no more haze.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
I'm with Killboy in that I've done some work here and there on my cars over the years. IDK that if it was me would get to aggressive with the grit, maybe 1500. Of course be careful not to burn the paint/clear when buffing. I like to use about two or three stages of rubbing compound, polish, then wax. Don't forget to let that paint/clear cure good before polishing. GL
Old 06-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Looks like you added a lot of touch up paint. Next time try the syringe method and let it naturally fill the paint.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Yeah I did it one time on my rear bumper. It never got smooth like I thought. Made the paint super hazy and had to polish the hell out of it. I wont be wet sanding again
Old 06-05-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
The haze won't come off, it's sanding marks you've induced into the clear. Wax will hide it somewhat from a distance, but the sanding marks are there. Machine polishing will cut the clear down to the bottom of your sanding marks making the appearance good again. There isn't much clear on a factory paint job, so beware!
Old 06-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Wet sanding is not needed to remove excess touch up paint. Langka Blob Eliminator can be used instead.

Wet sanding should never be done on modern clear coat without a paint thickness gauge, as it is very thin.

I'm assuming you don't own a machine polisher. So what you will need to do is get compound to remove the 2000 grit sanding marks that caused the haze on your paint.

The area will need to be fully cleaned and clayed before using compound and a wax pad by hand.

Use very light pressure when doing this and work the compound until it becomes clear. The clear coat is already thinned out due to using the 2000 grit, so you want to remove as little paint as possible going forward.

The best compound I've used by hand is Carpro Fixer. A machine will always get better results, but this will get really close to them by hand.

Ditch wax on your paint for protection. Since your car has a black base coat, in direct sunlight the paint will heat up above 130* during the summer. The wax will evaporate at this point. Use a sealant instead.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 06-05-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Normal lacquer based touch-up paint will not sand at the same rate as the factory BC/CC paint. You risk burning through the factory clear. I'd get touch up paint that is BC/CC.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
U LUZE

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Normal process is sand with 2000. Then sand with 3000. You'll then want to polish it preferrably with a orbital. But it looks like you might have went a little too deep.
U LUZE is offline   Reply With Quote