Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #57
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
I see that next year's vette gets this wonderful technology with the LT1 regardless of transmission. I'm still learning (and deciding what to buy). Am I correct that all manual trans Camaros thru MY2013 are free of AFM? Do you guys think 2014 models with manual V6 and V8 will be free of it? Thanks.
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #58
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
I hate it!, but ive found that using the tap shifters actually makes a huge difference. It rarely comes on now and after some figuring it out i can actually tell and hear when itll kick in. When I'm stopped completely im at M2(in tapshift)..When I accelerate at a slower rate and go through the gears (M3 and M4, or higher) tap shifting and climbing to 2000-2200rpms to the next gear it normally kicks in. Even if I try speeding up it goes away for a moment but the minute i slow down itll kick back in immediately unless I come to a stop... but ive come to realize that when i accelerate faster and get to the 2200-2500 or higher rpms faster the AFM rarely kicks in or doesn't kick in at all. I might be wrong but, i feel like the AFM doesnt kick in because its accelerating at a high rate, so its not going have the need to be "saving gas". Id have to say that I've maybe had the AFM kick in for me twice in the past 2 weeks
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #59
PhoenixZL1
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Don't we all hate our AFM! Dumbest idea GM ever thought up.
PhoenixZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #60
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkdudd View Post
I see that next year's vette gets this wonderful technology with the LT1 regardless of transmission. I'm still learning (and deciding what to buy). Am I correct that all manual trans Camaros thru MY2013 are free of AFM? Do you guys think 2014 models with manual V6 and V8 will be free of it? Thanks.
Manuals do not have AFM. With a manual you can put it in any gear you want to at any time....
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #61
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
Manuals do not have AFM. With a manual you can put it in any gear you want to at any time....
It has nothing to do about what gear you choose. AFM kicks in and deactivates 4 cylinders at cruising speeds. AFM doesn't put the car into a certain gear to activate...
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #62
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixZL1 View Post
Don't we all hate our AFM! Dumbest idea GM ever thought up.
Hmmm if you understood the engineering that went into it I doubt you would call it dumb let alone dumbest.

To solve the given problem, get the automatic out of the GG range, it is a pretty decent solution.

Don't get me wrong, the CTF G8 I took to Florida several many years ago was the worst thing I ever drove. I wouldn't buy an automatic Camaro for that reason alone.

But it's far from dumb.

Also keep in mind, I think Chrysler beat GM to it.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #63
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Hmmm if you understood the engineering that went into it I doubt you would call it dumb let alone dumbest.

To solve the given problem, get the automatic out of the GG range, it is a pretty decent solution.

Don't get me wrong, the CTF G8 I took to Florida several many years ago was the worst thing I ever drove. I wouldn't buy an automatic Camaro for that reason alone.

But it's far from dumb.

Also keep in mind, I think Chrysler beat GM to it.
I don't think he meant dumb in that way. Yes the technology and engineering involved is advanced. It's just dumb to think a person who buys a 400 HP Camaro won't mind feeling and hearing the engine cut in and out from 8 to 4 cylinders. And won't mind not being able to put a good aftermarket exhaust on without increasing the AFM noises and making the car have annoying farting and bogging sounds.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #64
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkdudd View Post
I doubt you'll ever see it on a V6. the only reason GM even does it on the V8 is to get the MPG's up and avoid the gas guzzler tax. the V6 will never be in danger of that. it can be done, I think Honda offers or did offer a V6 accord with cylinder deactivation. But MPG is a big selling point in that segment, not so much in the pony car class.

as for manuals, none of the them have AMF, but if I'm not mistaken the V8's have skip shift where your forced to go from 1st to 4th or something like that when you get on it hard. certain gears get locked out.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #65
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
AFM was put on the automatics to increase mileage and keep the gaz guzzler tax off of them. It was never meant as anything other than to keep the cost of the car lower.

Last edited by 2010SS2SS; 02-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #66
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
Thanks for all of the great info.
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #67
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
I have whatever AFM/DoD was called for my 2008 Tahoe LTZ. The damn thing makes no sense.

I live in Indiana where everything is pretty much flat. Taking US-30 east into Ohio it's a flat,straight road, yet the silly V8 in my tahoe is switching back and forth between V4 and V8 mode non-stop with the thing on cruise. and if I can hear the difference in a quiet tahoe, i can't imagine the simple tonal difference in the exhaust of a camaro that could be heard. bleh.
RedWingsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #68
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Between this AFM and Hill assist, why do we have to fight our cars to drive them??????
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote