Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
S.S. L99 surges/bucks at W.O.T. 1-2 and 2-3 shift

My car has been doing this for about 5 months now and it's affecting the performance under wide open throttle at the 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifting points. The car kind of bucks or surges at the point where it's supposed to shift into the next gear. It isn't hitting the rev limiter either.

I brought it into the dealer. They were able to feel what I was feeling but couldn't find the issue. They said all the updates were up to date and no CEL on dash. They said the transmission, engine and rear end all seem fine, but had no idea why the car is doing this.

I thought it may have been a problem with the torque converter or the transmission or mass air flow sensor but you'd think the car would act up all the time, not just the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. It won't do it if I punch it at a higher gear.
I feel the only way to resolve the issue is a custom tune. Is anyone else having or heard of this problem? The car is a L99 s.s. with 53,000 miles. I have the following mods:

Flowmaster 3" American Thunder cat back
K&N aircharger intake
VMAX ported throttle body
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
KyWildcats
Z Bowman

Drives: 2010 2SS (SOLD), 2016 2SS, 2007 Z71
If you think you are having tranny problems don't tune. I have a 2010 SS had to have a brand new transmission last july and only had 6000 miles on it. Tranny completely went out mine started doing what yours is then I was going down the road and sometimes i would hit the gas in drive and it would just rev. Took it to chevy and told me no CEL can't really do much. It came on after it was broke down on the side of the road. LOL got warrantied a new tranny. Im tuned now that the car is all up and running good and my factory warranty is about gone.

2010 2SS/RS A6 (sold)Mods: Borla Atak Catback, Stainless Power 1 7/8 Headers, TSP VVT-3 Cam, 3200 Yank Stall, CAI Inake, Ported TB, 18" MT ET STREETS
KyWildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
ABM/IOM

I have no idea what is wrong with it. All I know is that it's been doing it for 5 months and hasn't gotten any worse. The dealer felt it too but said they didn't think it was the tranny. I won't tune it for a while. I may take it to another dealer and see what they say.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
iConquer
U.S. Army

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM/IOM View Post
I have no idea what is wrong with it. All I know is that it's been doing it for 5 months and hasn't gotten any worse. The dealer felt it too but said they didn't think it was the tranny. I won't tune it for a while. I may take it to another dealer and see what they say.
Yeah, I'd take it to another dealership..
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
ABM/IOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iConquer View Post
Yeah, I'd take it to another dealership..

That's the plan. If the next dealer tells me , then it's tune time.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
ABM/IOM

Took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago. They just diagnosed the issue. They had to hook a laptop up to the OBD2 and data log when it was happening. They came to the conclusion that the traction control is engaging at that rpm under full throttle. They state it is a normal occurance although it shouldn't be happening at that rpm. They have no idea how to fix it. They gave me the car back and said they are going to research the problem further and see if they can come up with a program to turn it off at higher rpm's?

I asked if it was a faulty module and they said no. I also asked if they thought it was fixable. They're not sure. So, playing the waiting game again. At least now I know what the problem is. Now, just to fix it.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
upSSman
Do what now?

Drives: 2021 Wild Cherry 1LE
Fahk... this sounds like what I'm experiencing. Except under WOT my cars seems to react fine, just the 1-2, and 3-4 shifts buck and hesitate like you described. And I feel a constant surging when at 1/4 throttle. Tune shop said its not my tune, they reset transmission tune to stock. Transmission shop said its not the converter or anything mechanical. Taking it back on Wednesday next week because he is going to have his electrical guy look at it. They are convinced its electrical.

He said it pulled a "TCC" code once, then he cleared it, and then like 17 codes popped up and they claimed only way that could happen is something electrical like a faulty wire or something. I thought if your car was throwing codes your CEL would come on??

This sounds expensive because the dealer is not an option for me.

OH YA, and I can shift smoothly in button-shift mode, still get the surging but its better than automatic mode which is horrible right now.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
ABM/IOM

Man, that sucks. I wonder if you're having the same issue as me. Now, I noticed if I manually shift with the tap shift, my car STILL does it. I turned off the traction control also and it will still happen.
All I know is it's annoying as sh*t.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
upSSman
Do what now?

Drives: 2021 Wild Cherry 1LE
New discovery in my situation. You know how if you switch into manual mode but you don't touch a button it still shifts automatically. THIS automatic mode shifts completely normal on every shift. If I shift into drive then the shifts go back to being all crazy and make the car buck. Have you tried doing that?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
ABM/IOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upSSman View Post
New discovery in my situation. You know how if you switch into manual mode but you don't touch a button it still shifts automatically. THIS automatic mode shifts completely normal on every shift. If I shift into drive then the shifts go back to being all crazy and make the car buck. Have you tried doing that?

Yeah, didn't work either.

I hope you get your situation all figured out. Good luck man.

Last edited by ABM/IOM; 05-13-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
ABM/IOM

UPDATE:

Took my car in to another dealer and they figured the problem out within 2 days.
I wasn't aware of this but these cars learn your driving and shifting habits. My car's transmission ecm was telling the trans to shift earlier than i wanted it to.
The other dealer that had it for 2 weeks and told me it was the traction control, they had no idea what they were doing.
All this dealer had to do was wipe my transmission ecm clean then reset it to factory new with their program and now the car shifts like it's supposed to.
It feels like a new car. I am completely happy with it.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
UPDATE:

Took my car in to another dealer and they figured the problem out within 2 days.
I wasn't aware of this but these cars learn your driving and shifting habits. My car's transmission ecm was telling the trans to shift earlier than i wanted it to.
The other dealer that had it for 2 weeks and told me it was the traction control, they had no idea what they were doing.
All this dealer had to do was wipe my transmission ecm clean then reset it to factory new with their program and now the car shifts like it's supposed to.

I wonder if this is something we could do at home? Fuse pull, battery disconnect, etc.?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
UPDATE:

ABM/IOM,

Very happy that your concerns have been resolved. Please keep us updated on how your Camaro operates .

Safe travels,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
rcktftbl72

Drives: formerly a 2012 2SS/RS CRT :-(
My 2012 2SS/RS does something similar. If I am just coasting in traffic, or if i gently apply the brakes, it bucks between 3rd and 2nd gear. It does the same when upshifting too. It has been doing it since day one. I'm now at ~21k miles, and it still acts the same. When I asked the dealer about it two years ago, they couldn't reproduce the problem, so I stopped asking. Anyone have any ideas or is this something that is normal?
rcktftbl72 is offline   Reply With Quote