Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
kaba

Drives: 2013 SS LS3, NPP, Blk
Ticking over 3200 RPM

I have a 2013 SS, LS3.

I have been experiencing a ticking noise, similar to a rock being stuck in your tread, or an exhaust leak. This seems to happen only when I am hard on the car and the engine is warm.

The weird thing is it ONLY happens over 3200 RPM, and ONLY happens in 1st and 2nd. Immediately after a shift into 3rd, noise gone all the way through the gear (even if I get to 6000 RPM range).

I can hear it only with the windows down and radio off out the drivers side.

The wheel speed and RPM do not seem to be linked to the frequency of the ticking, however at higher RPM it is a little clearer to hear.

When I let the car idle and open the hood, there has always been a light clicking noise that seems to be related to one of the belts. I have not been able to reproduce the clicking while in neutral.

Does anyone have any advice for where and how to start problem solving this?

I will try to get a video posted this week.

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
kaba

So I spent some time tonight, there are some updates :

1) 3200 rpm seems to be the magic number for this noise, it seems to happen in 1 to 3 and the wind noise is too loud to tell if it happens 4 or higher.

2) When I'm cruising at say 20 to 30 % throttle the noise happens almost always. Once I hit 3200 rpm of course.

3) If I drop rpm (up shift or lifting) to even 3000 ticking stops.

4) This noise can be heard 3200 rpm in neutral

Here is an idle video https://youtu.be/_NZh876NtZ8

Here is driving, it's hard to tell until the end of the clip when I shift and the noise suddenly stops https://youtu.be/ZWrE0ToHwzE
Old 09-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Have any warranty left?...if so let the dealership figure it out. If not it's the process of elimination. Pull the valve covers and look for the obvious. With any luck,the concern will be there. Not under the heads. Have you over revved the engine?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
kaba

Thank you!

I have hit the limiter more than once (not proud of it... but never repeat bounced off it) and 100% absolutely never over-revved (or came close) on a downshift.

Fortunately I believe I have 2 months left on my warranty and I am waiting to hear back and get into the dealership asap.

I definitely want to do my research upfront, because the clock is ticking on the warranty and I don't want to lose time through failed dealer diagnostics. I have not gone through the warranty process so I am a little nervous.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaba View Post
Thank you!

I have hit the limiter more than once (not proud of it... but never repeat bounced off it) and 100% absolutely never over-revved (or came close) on a downshift.

Fortunately I believe I have 2 months left on my warranty and I am waiting to hear back and get into the dealership asap.

I definitely want to do my research upfront, because the clock is ticking on the warranty and I don't want to lose time through failed dealer diagnostics. I have not gone through the warranty process so I am a little nervous.
Get it to the dealer ASAP. They will have to go through the diagnostic process regardless of what you know about the problem. They have a diagnostic protocol that they have to follow when it comes to warranty work, especially on internal engine issues.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
kaba

Thank you for the advice guys - dealership confirmed the appointment for tomorrow, so I will keep posting updates.

This morning was cool, engine was cool and didn't hear any of the ticking.

I am not hearing phantom noises on the video right?

To everyone in the south - stay safe and dry!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
LS3 valve train is noisy as is. I don't really here anything crazy in your idle video, and nothing in your driving video, but my computer speakers are ancient.

I stated to get in there because of the process they have to go through. Also, if you take in under warranty you have the issue documented, so even if they misdiagnose it first time around, it should still qualify for warranty repair, if it's not fixed. Though, I'm not sure that you have an issue from the videos.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
kaba

So good news,

The idler pully is the issue, there is some bind because of it and the tensioner can't compensate. Nothing powertrain 😀

I can sleep easy again!

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 09-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
good for you! yup cheaper part...
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #10
kaba

I have attempted to attached the exploded view of the pulley system if this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Dealership quote was about $500 to replace 2 pulleys the idler and the belt. I'll be looking to do this myself over the winter.

Last edited by kaba; 09-11-2017 at 12:00 PM.
kaba is offline   Reply With Quote