Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
kaba

Drives: 2013 SS LS3, NPP, Blk
Gloss Black Dipped Wheels

Hey guys,

Has anyone dipped their stock wheels black and used the glossifier on them? It's quite difficult to find photos.

I am considering doing it to my 2013 black ss (you know, the refreshed rims). I've seen the stock rims dipped black without the glossifier, and I think I would prefer the glossier look over matte.

So any pics you guys might have to share would be awesome to help me decide!

Ps I'm up In Canada where the dip cans are a lot more than $5 each, otherwise I would just try it to see and cut my losses if it didn't look like what I wanted.

2013 Black LS3
Old 03-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have dipped mine with two coats of glossifier. The glossifer does not make it glossy it maybe gets it up to a satin or semi-gloss finish.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Not the stock wheels, but here's a picture of my car with ZL1 replicas plasti-dipped black with glossifier over the black. The more coats of glossifier you apply the better. IMO it looked much better with the gloss then without. Like stated above, it doesn't get a full glossy look. More like between semi and full gloss.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Caniac27

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado, Red Rock
Here's a pic of mine with black plasti-dip and glossifier. Hope it helps. I put 7 coats of the black on each rim and 2 coats of glossifier.
Attached Images

Caniac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Damn. Both look really good. Amazing how Plasti Dipped wheels can come out when properly applied.

I am heavily considering painting instead of dipping though, as I am certain I would keep it. But the previous owner tore up the front rims pretty heavily, so some repair work is in order first.

There was a post here of a member who painted his stock rims gloss black using Duplicolor, with no clear coat. He spent a ton of time on prep work, sanding and repairing, and it showed in the final product. They looked really good. I am trying to find the thread, but no luck so far. I am curious how it has been holding up since he didn't use a clear coat.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Daxal84

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS AGP Twin Turbo
I did 6 coats of black and 3 coats of glossifer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Daxal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
kaba

Drives: 2013 SS LS3, NPP, Blk
Thank you so much guys for the pictures! Great looking cars!

Even more helpful I have a good idea now what the finish will look like on my black car!

Definitely like the glossifier look better than the pure matte. This semigloss / satin look is good for me at this point.

Appreciate it!

I will do some research into how many cans are required now, I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere. Seems like 6 coats of dip is the magic number?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaba View Post
Thank you so much guys for the pictures! Great looking cars!

Even more helpful I have a good idea now what the finish will look like on my black car!

Definitely like the glossifier look better than the pure matte. This semigloss / satin look is good for me at this point.

Appreciate it!

I will do some research into how many cans are required now, I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere. Seems like 6 coats of dip is the magic number?
I bought 4 cans of black but only used 2 of cans, did about 5 coats. And 2 cans of glossifier, did about 6 coats of that. The trick to a good finish is light coats on the first few then you can go a little heavier after that. No real heavy coats. The more dip coats you apply the easier it is to remove when the time comes.

I went back and forth a few times between black and anthracite metallic a few times. Never pealed the existing layers until I removed it for good. Here's some closer pictures of the anthracite with lots of glossifier

Here's the anthracite on the car...

Last edited by PROZ11; 03-16-2018 at 02:58 PM.
PROZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote