Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #323
jpgolf14

Drives: '87 Camaro
Guys, I have a question.

How can these possibly be a direct swap when the OEM SS calipers have symmetric mounting lugs and the 2009+ CTS-V front calipers are not symmetric. I could be wrong but it sure looks like the SS calipers are symmetric.

To steal Pedder's picture.
jpgolf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #324
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgolf14 View Post
Guys, I have a question.

How can these possibly be a direct swap when the OEM SS calipers have symmetric mounting lugs and the 2009+ CTS-V front calipers are not symmetric. I could be wrong but it sure looks like the SS calipers are symmetric.

To steal Pedder's picture.
I've got the same CTS-V calipers in the picture on my car. They bolted right up with no issues. Just have to make sure you use the matching CTS-V brake rotor.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #325
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
fantastic thread!
ARH 1-7/8" Headers and complete exhaust - NO cats!
Varraram CAI - Vmax throttle body, ATI 10% underdrive pulley
RPS Street Twin - MGW Shifter
3.91 gears + DSS 1000hp axles
PFADT - Stage 4 Camaro Road Racing Kit - 8" springs 325# and 600# - ZL Spec Sway bars - Strut Tower Brace - Camber plates.
CTSV front calipers - Hawk DTC 30 pads
Street: Forgestar F14 20x9 and 20x11, 275/315 Nitto Invo's, Track: TOYO R888 285/35/20 on 4 corners
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #326
jpgolf14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoirier View Post
I've got the same CTS-V calipers in the picture on my car. They bolted right up with no issues. Just have to make sure you use the matching CTS-V brake rotor.
Yes I understand that. There are many examples in this thread. The question is how? You are mounting a non-symmetric caliper to symmetric mounting points. That causes the caliper to rotate and have a different radial center than the rotor. Maybe the difference isn't enough to matter, but I don't see how the caliper could sit correctly. Looking at the picture it looks like the top of the caliper would be closer to the edge of the rotor than the bottom. Can anyone take a look and hopefully a picture. Measure the clearance between the rotor edge and the caliper at the top and bottom of the caliper.

Thanks

Last edited by jpgolf14; 04-13-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #327
jpgolf14

Here you can see it in VenomSS's and Bruce's picture. Notice that the right side of the pad is further off the inner edge of the rotor ring than the left side. No big deal but it looks sloppy, and the question is, on the outer edge, does the pad overhang the rotor?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #328
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
Quote:
Yes I understand that. There are many examples in this thread. The question is how? You are mounting a non-symmetric caliper to symmetric mounting points. That causes the caliper to rotate and have a different radial center than the rotor. Maybe the difference isn't enough to matter, but I don't see how the caliper could sit correctly. Looking at the picture it looks like the top of the caliper would be closer to the edge of the rotor than the bottom. Can anyone take a look and hopefully a picture. Measure the clearance between the rotor edge and the caliper at the top and bottom of the caliper.

Thanks
I just happen to have a picture of my driver's side caliper. It looks slightly offset. I'll have to go out and look at it more closely tomorrow. I did not notice it when I installed mine. I've had no issues with the calipers installed this way. I wonder if the new ZL1 cars are the same way. I'm going to check my friends new ZL1 tomorrow. I'll take a look at his brake setup too. I'll let you know what I find out.
Attached Images

bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #329
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Here you can see it in VenomSS's and Bruce's picture. Notice that the right side of the pad is further off the inner edge of the rotor ring than the left side. No big deal but it looks sloppy, and the question is, on the outer edge, does the pad overhang the rotor?

ZL1 front brakes.

Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #330
jpgolf14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
ZL1 front brakes.
Nice, they don't suffer from this issue. Did you look to see how the caliper attaches? Did they use a bracket? a different spindle? or maybe the caliper mounting lugs are slightly different than the CTS-V.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #331
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Nice, they don't suffer from this issue. Did you look to see how the caliper attaches? Did they use a bracket? a different spindle? or maybe the caliper mounting lugs are slightly different than the CTS-V.
No new knuckles or a bracket, same as the SS. Confirmed via GM catalog. Those are justice pete's pictures.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #332
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Here's another picture of a ZL1 with the brakes at the same angle. Same as the guys bolting on the CTS-V calipers. That's how they are, what more do you need?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #333
jpgolf14

Quote:
Here's another picture of a ZL1 with the brakes at the same angle. Same as the guys bolting on the CTS-V calipers. That's how they are, what more do you need?
I don't know what you mean. The picture you posted clearly shows the ZL1 does not have the same issue as the CTS-V swapped SS. Notice the pad inner edge is even. Whereas all the other pictures shown above with the CTS-V calipers it is not even. If everything else is the same, the ZL1 calipers must be symmetric mount unlike the CTS-V calipers, and would therefore be a much better option going forward.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #334
nak3dsnake

Quote:
I don't know what you mean. The picture you posted clearly shows the ZL1 does not have the same issue as the CTS-V swapped SS. Notice the pad inner edge is even. Whereas all the other pictures shown above with the CTS-V calipers it is not even. If everything else is the same, the ZL1 calipers must be symmetric mount unlike the CTS-V calipers, and would therefore be a much better option going forward.

What I mean is from what I've seen they mount exactly the same. The difference may be in the caliper. They may be the same casting, but not the same setup. Or a slightly different casting.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #335
jpgolf14

Quote:
What I mean is from what I've seen they mount exactly the same. The difference may be in the caliper. They may be the same casting, but not the same setup. Or a slightly different casting.
Got ya, I agree. It would be really interesting to check out the mounting lugs on the ZL1 caliper. I bet it is symmetric mount. But it is probably going to be a while until someone has one off.

Does anyone have part numbers for the ZL1 calipers and rotors?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #336
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
In for part # for ZL1 calipers
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote