Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
GPI SS4 no fly cut vs TSP stage 4 "f35" cam???

I'm looking to upgrade from a stock cam to one of the ones listed in the title. I'm leaning towards the GPI cam but just found out about the TSP cam. I do drag race just for fun and drive the car somewhat as a daily. Power wise how do they compare? I know the GPI cam has seen 10s in the 1/4 on an otherwise stock car has any run the f35 cam and got a time slip?

LS3, I am already full bolt ons.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by KGoddard; 01-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.
KGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
They are both pretty good sticks. The SS4 NFC is definitely a little bigger stick, and truly represents the very edge of a max effort cam (with respect to PTVC) you can stab into an LS3 without pulling the heads. GPI has a really nice cam lobe that does a good job of being aggressive without totally thrashing the valve-train. Not a shot at TSP, but I don't know if anybody has done more studying and tweaking of LS3 cam timing (within the realm of stock PTVC max effort) than Ryan Stevens. That combination of expertise and truly top notch service gets my nod every time.

I'm not sure that any of these guys running 10s with their NA stock bottom end cars can really be considered "stock". They all have significant weight reduction, dedicated drag wheel/tire setups, big converters, and some have gone as far as to swap to the TH400 to get these cars that fast on the kind of power a stock bottom end car can make. It's exceedingly rare to see it with stick cars, although a few have done it. That's not to take anything away from them, it's a BIG accomplishment. It's just to say that you can't just stab one of these cams in and expect to run 10s, there are a lot of other complimentary things to consider to get into those numbers on a NA SBE setup.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
They are both pretty good sticks. The SS4 NFC is definitely a little bigger stick, and truly represents the very edge of a max effort cam (with respect to PTVC) you can stab into an LS3 without pulling the heads. GPI has a really nice cam lobe that does a good job of being aggressive without totally thrashing the valve-train. Not a shot at TSP, but I don't know if anybody has done more studying and tweaking of LS3 cam timing (within the realm of stock PTVC max effort) than Ryan Stevens. That combination of expertise and truly top notch service gets my nod every time.

I'm not sure that any of these guys running 10s with their NA stock bottom end cars can really be considered "stock". They all have significant weight reduction, dedicated drag wheel/tire setups, big converters, and some have gone as far as to swap to the TH400 to get these cars that fast on the kind of power a stock bottom end car can make. It's exceedingly rare to see it with stick cars, although a few have done it. That's not to take anything away from them, it's a BIG accomplishment. It's just to say that you can't just stab one of these cams in and expect to run 10s, there are a lot of other complimentary things to consider to get into those numbers on a NA SBE setup.
A lot of that is why I lean towards the GPI team.

Power wise is what I meant by saying they are stock. I have a dedicated drag setup (bias ply) and have shed some weight. So hoping to get into the low 11s maybe 10s with whatever cam I go with.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I'm not sure that any of these guys running 10s with their NA stock bottom end cars can really be considered "stock". They all have significant weight reduction, dedicated drag wheel/tire setups, big converters
I've been running the smaller GPI VVT SS3 (227/243), and daily my car. When I went 10.90 I had 17x7 fronts and 17" slicks on back, seats out and trunk empty. My car would go 10's with just a drag pack and no other weight reduction.

I'm trying to find the time to move to the SS4 NFC, will try to do it before CamaroFest. Would be an interesting comparison.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote