Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #43
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If i remember correctly for my complete kit it would have only come with the voltage booster. Since i opted for just the tuner kit i installed the zl1 pump and my own injectors. If it's supposed to come with the zl1 pump with what you ordered, yes i would opt for the pump over the booster. It will handle around 650whp but the fpcm needs to be tuned, or a pre programmed one can be bought from jannetty. Not sure if whipples provided tune does tune the fpcm or not. If you see fuel pressure drop by about 10psi all of a sudden then it needs to be tuned
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #44
96gt4.6

Drives: Whipple'd Mustang S550
Green, you are correct.

After visiting with the supplier, only the manual trans (LS3) cars came with the ZL1 pump. The auto cars get the booster. Makes sense, as the auto cars will not fully tap out the stock pump with a booster, whereas the manual trans cars will on the same boost level.

Looking at the instructions, they instruct you NOT to read the FPCM when you read/send off the tune to them (they supply you with the HP Tuner MPVI2), therefore they are not altering the FPCM calibration. I'm assuming they will probably tune around this in the desired AFR under WOT/boost conditions much like the Magnuson kit does.....

Potato/Pot-a-to I suppose, both get the right AFR at the wideband, but I agree the proper way would be getting the ZL1 pump in there and doing it right. BUT, still need to install and get a few logs to see it for a fact.

Looks pretty legit! The Whipple kit on my S550 has been very solid, this looks very nice as well.
'17 Whipple'd S550 Mustang, Stage 1 (750hp) kit, all stock otherwise less M/T ET Street Radials/VMS Rear Drag Pack Only. 643 RWHP (dynojet). 10.92@128, 1.59 60' (2800 ft corrected D/A). 91 Octane+Boostane Octane Booster.
Many other turbo LS/Ford Builds to date, see my YouTube channel

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7..._as=subscriber
96gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #45
Greenhornet2

Eh, better to not have the fuel pressure drop and just program the fpcm imo why make your injectors work harder than they have to. Leaves you open for more room to grow anyway. I forsee a zl1 pump, bap, injectors, and fpcm in your future =)
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #46
96gt4.6

Working on the install now.

Kit comes with an HP Tuners MPVI2. The supplied tune is read-only to comply with emissions requirements, and is only for an entirely stock vehicle. However, you can read the tune out with the same program, and modify if you wish for longtubes/ect.

I'll get some pics up once I have it all finished up, final tune wrote and some performance numbers. Car is all stock less longtubes and mid pipe/axle back. Tune looks pretty solid thumbing through it vs the Maggie tune.
'17 Whipple'd S550 Mustang, Stage 1 (750hp) kit, all stock otherwise less M/T ET Street Radials/VMS Rear Drag Pack Only. 643 RWHP (dynojet). 10.92@128, 1.59 60' (2800 ft corrected D/A). 91 Octane+Boostane Octane Booster.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #47
96gt4.6

Yea so the instructions are pretty decent.....except when you get to the lower manifold install section.

They have you insert the manifold O-Rings into the machined grooves in the lower manifold to cylinder head joining area, then, put the manifold on the motor along with the fuel rails/ect, then they show the fiber intake gaskets being installed on the head/motor with the lower intake removed.....

I spoke with Whipple on this, they say to use both the O-Rings AND fiber gaskets between the lower manifold to head joint area, as it takes up machining tolerances from vehicle to vehicle, manifold to manifold.

I sent in some pics of the instructions so hopefully they can fix them and help the next guy out....

Old 05-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #48
96gt4.6

All installed and running great!

Aside from the same issue as the Maggie kit, they do not turn off the DTC for the brake booster performance code on the auto cars, which trips after you get into boost a few times.

Additionally, the auto car kits come with the MSD Fuel Pump Booster, which I dislike in comparison to the JMS Unit as you have a vaccum/boost line that runs to the front of the vehicle/manifold all the way under the car.

The JMS plug and play unit is a better option in my opinion.

Whipple kit runs 6-7 psi right out of the gate on the supplied pulley at my altitude and with the car's existing mods (LT's and full exhaust). Tune feels great, timing is nearly exactly where I ended out on the Maggie car, WOT fueling is a bit rich at 10.5:1, however it was intended for catalyst cooling so we can lean that out a tad.

The biggest downfall I see with the Whipple kit vs. the Heartbeat kit, the Whipple kit seems to have a much higher IAT compared to the top-mount intercooler design of the Maggie kit. However, the Whipple kit does a much better job of keeping the IAT's in check during a full pull, vs the Maggie kit which starts to let the IAT's take off at the beginning of 3rd. Nothing an intercooler reservoir larger than the small one they provide couldn't help cure i'm sure.

So, two identical cars, two different kits.

Maggie kit takes a few pulley steps, voltage booster and tuning to get where the Whipple kit is, although the Maggie kit is cheaper. However, after the extras the cost is nearly the same. They both look and work great! Either one is a win I say.

Biggest complaint though, on these stock auto cars, you really do not have to run either compressor very hard, so there really is no blower whine. Very sneaky though when you come up against one at the light!

Old 05-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #49
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
Yea so the instructions are pretty decent.....except when you get to the lower manifold install section.

They have you insert the manifold O-Rings into the machined grooves in the lower manifold to cylinder head joining area, then, put the manifold on the motor along with the fuel rails/ect, then they show the fiber intake gaskets being installed on the head/motor with the lower intake removed.....

I spoke with Whipple on this, they say to use both the O-Rings AND fiber gaskets between the lower manifold to head joint area, as it takes up machining tolerances from vehicle to vehicle, manifold to manifold.

I sent in some pics of the instructions so hopefully they can fix them and help the next guy out....
Yes i addressed this exact problem in my write up and have passed the info along every time i can.
I also have no whine running a 3.75 pulley. I kinda wish it whined but then again nobody knows its supercharged unless i open the hood or tell them.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #50
96gt4.6

True that, really makes for a sleeper if you will!

What boost are you seeing on the 3.750" pulley?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #51
Greenhornet2

Peaks around 10.5 but that's with a blower cam. With the stock cam my 3.875 had me peak at almost 11 but that was right at the top. I have a 3.875 for sale $100 shipped if toy want to try it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #52
96gt4.6

Awesome, thank you for the info!

I'm pretty happy with this setup right out of the box. The supplied tune is much better than the Magnuson one was.

However, both tunes still forget to disable the P0556 (brake booster pressure sensor) DTC which has to be done on the Automatic cars due to how the sanity check for the brake booster pressure sensor works.

Also, the MSD box they have you wire in appears to be setting a P069E, which i'm pretty sure is due to how the MSD box powers up the FPCM, being as it is now controlled by the intercooler relay.

Both of those issues I corrected.

Also correct the FPCM commanded pressure drop to 45psi that occurs on these, as GM has the tables set to decrese pressure with commanded fuel flow when you modify past OEM power levels, in addition Whipple has the FPCM boost voltage set to 22 volts up top. I had read that the max before the FPCM gets pissy is around 17.2V. Changed the programming in the MSD box to match.

Getting a solid 58 psi from the hit until top of each gear now with the above changes, with the fuel pump duty cycle around 90%, holding 11.0 ish AFR at the bung, so she's got a little wiggle room left on the oem pump with the booster.

The JMS pump booster is a better choce for the money in my opinion, like that setup better on the Maggie car I did.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #53
Greenhornet2

I have a jms i set the voltage to 17.42 per instruction from jannetty. They want it below 17.55 so i got as close as i could without going over. I have no pressure drop.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #54
96gt4.6

Advice needed. We had touched on CV shaft's not too long ago, wanting to upgrade the stock ones on the Whipple car.

I have done some searching and it seems some recommend the ZL1 shafts, some recommend going with the higher dollar aftermarket.

The Whipple car has full blown drag tires/wheels so traction is not an issue. That being said, any recommendations on this? I mean if the stock ZL1's will take 5-600 rear wheel, provided wheel hop is kept in check, seems like a reasonable option?

Again, thank you guys for the help!

Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #55
Greenhornet2

Stock will work as long as you don't get wheel hop and preload the drivetrain. 1LE are a little stronger than stock SS and cheapish. ZL1 won't work with an SS diff.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #56
96gt4.6

So far both setups (Magnuson and Whipple) are running great.

Magnuson set to dyno soon.

On that note, I have looked at a few options but does anyone have a good recommendation on a larger intercooler reservoir for the Heartbeat kit? There is so much room there, it would be nice to increase that reservoir size and add some capacity one would think.