Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Magnaflow resonated xpipe fitment question

I see that the distance between the pipes are 4'' I have not had a chance to go under the car and measure but does the magnaflow xpipe fit without touching the heat shield and does the pipe line up with stock?
What section of the pipe are you guys exactly installing the magnaflow xpipe? Im guessing where the stock resonator are?
Anyone have a pic installed?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Check out my old exhaust thread...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78932

Its quite a bit longer than the H pipe (where almost all people are installing it..if not everyone) but seems to fit great.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
larryt1026

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
it fits great! I actually just had mine installed today. The spacing between the two stock pipes do not line up perfectly with the holes of the resonated X..but thats an easy fix. There is a little metal bar that holds the two stock resonators together, which also prevents the stock pipes from knocking. Ask whoever is installing it to saw that bar in half so they can line up the stock pipes with the holes in the resonated x. And afterwards have them weld a piece of metal between the two stock resonators. As for the heat shield, it'll fit perfectly in there. I have mine exactly where KPMrenger has his. Hope that helps!
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Hey Larry, You'll have to let me know how that resonated X is working out for you versus what you had before. Hope it turned out alright!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Thanks for that KMprenger, that just answered my main question. I noticed that the beginning of the y-pipe is 2.5'' and from the actual h-pipe on back is 2.25'' piping on our stock piping. I heard that these magnaflow xpipes are made to slip right on weather you pick the 2.25 11385 or 2.5 11386, so if I cut the pipes and put the xpipe exactly where you installed than that will leave me with 2.25 on one side and 2.5 on the other side which mean if I get the 2.25 11385 version than I will be able to slide the pipe right over the rear side but I wonder if I will be able to slide the pipe in on the front which would be the 2.5 side. I know that this wont be a problem if I was to have everything welded on but I am planning to do this myself and just use clamps for now since it look like it will be an easy DIY from looking at the size and especially your pics.
Do you or anyone know what is the exact size of the in/out piping on 11385? now just trying to figure out if I am going to need an adapter for the 2.5 side if it does not slide in.
Also, would it make sense if I was to install this in place of the stock resonators? I know this would mean that I would have an xpipe after the factory hpipe. Is there any pics around the web that show the actual internal of the 11385 or 11386? I cant seem to find it nowhere.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Santos
Santos

Drives: 1SS Blk 6M ECS 1500
I would like to know what I can do if I get this vs a longer xpipe setup, like why are some almost more expensive than the axle back kits
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
larryt1026

Purchase the magnaflow x pipe that has the 2.5 inlet and outlet. It fits perfectly.

And Kmprenger..I like it a lot more! I don't know if you recall my last set up..but I had two resonators behind my AT mufflers. That still was too much drone for me..so I finally decided to go with the resonated x-pipe. No more drone at 2k rpm . Makes a world of a difference. Every once in a while at low rpms I would get some vibrations in the cabin..as if the interior pieces are vibrating. But I think that's normal. As far as the sound goes, no rasp at all at high rpms (around 5-6) and it sounds livlier. At idle, the sound is just as deep...but in a different way. And what I mean by that is, when I had the resonators on it was a muffled deep sound. But with the resonated x-pipe it is more of a livlier deep sound if that makes any sense. Now I'm waiting to see what it sounds like when it breaks in. Do you think it'll sound ever deeper?

Sorry for
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt1026 View Post
Purchase the magnaflow x pipe that has the 2.5 inlet and outlet. It fits perfectly.

And Kmprenger..I like it a lot more! I don't know if you recall my last set up..but I had two resonators behind my AT mufflers. That still was too much drone for me..so I finally decided to go with the resonated x-pipe. No more drone at 2k rpm . Makes a world of a difference. Every once in a while at low rpms I would get some vibrations in the cabin..as if the interior pieces are vibrating. But I think that's normal. As far as the sound goes, no rasp at all at high rpms (around 5-6) and it sounds livlier. At idle, the sound is just as deep...but in a different way. And what I mean by that is, when I had the resonators on it was a muffled deep sound. But with the resonated x-pipe it is more of a livlier deep sound if that makes any sense. Now I'm waiting to see what it sounds like when it breaks in. Do you think it'll sound ever deeper?

Sorry for
I didnt feel like messing with this myself since I decided to put this in between my 2.5" piping setup so it will be going into a shop sometime today to be welded in.
I hope its everything you say because I am getting lots of drone and lots of rasp as of right now with my full 2.5" catback and long tube and no cats.

also, did it lower the overall volume alot with the xpipe?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
larryt1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I didnt feel like messing with this myself since I decided to put this in between my 2.5" piping setup so it will be going into a shop sometime today to be welded in.
I hope its everything you say because I am getting lots of drone and lots of rasp as of right now with my full 2.5" catback and long tube and no cats.

also, did it lower the overall volume alot with the xpipe?
It will definitely eliminate the drone and most of the rasp. From what you say the resonated x-pipe seems to be a good solution to your problem. It did lower it for me...but somethings gotta give. You can't have lots of volume without drone in the cabin and vice versa.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt1026 View Post
It will definitely eliminate the drone and most of the rasp. From what you say the resonated x-pipe seems to be a good solution to your problem. It did lower it for me...but somethings gotta give. You can't have lots of volume without drone in the cabin and vice versa.
Thats what I am exactly looking for quiet but come to life when flooring it. Right now my setup just drones like crazy around 1800rpm. It almost sound like I am in a cave and somebody is running an excavator right next to my ear, its just boomy and loud with the drone or not.
What KMprenger posted with his exhaust setup is about the sound I am looking for. I can't wait to hear the difference
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
KMPrenger

bmorecam, I can imagine that your exhaust with the catback and LTs with no cats is pretty crazy at the moment! I firmly believe the resonated X will make a very notiable difference in your drone, rasp, and it will likely "tame" it down a bit, but hopefully not too much!

I'm looking forward to hearing the difference.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
Here's a pic of the Magnaflow Resonated X Pipe
Attached Images

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I just got the 2.50 11386 version installed today and all I can say is WOW!! Before I got this put on my car it was a drone monster and just terribly loud due to my 2.50 pipe exhaust setup and long tube with no cats, so you can probably imagine how LOUD my car was.
Now, its just perfectis not as low as kmprenger's car but a little more pronounced, deeper and louder, but I guess you would expect that with my setup even with the magnaflow perforated xpipe install.
The best thing about this is that it just roars from 2000 rpm and up with NO RASP. Drive normally and you can just hear the deep low growl.
I know words can't explain all of this and I wish that I can let you guys hear the sound of my car so I will try to get a video up soon.
Kmprenger, thanks for that link of your old post, I just printed out your pic and took it in to my muffler shop and I didn't even really had to explain anything. All taken care of smoothly
Now just waiting for vararam so I can dyno everything.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Awsome and glad I could help!! I'd love to hear a video of your car.

Here is what I'm interested in knowing....First off (sorry that I missed it), but what LTs and exhaust are you running? Second...I've always loved the growl, and V8 like "loping" or "burble" as I'll call it that most LTs give the V6 compared to ones without LTs. Did the resonated X pipe lessen, or eliminate that feature with your exhaust? I'd hate to know if running the resonated X pipe with LTs eliminates that.