Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #281
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Just a thought, but from my reading on this HSA thread and others, didn't one say that if you went to start out in 2nd gear it didn't activate? If so then could there be a switch for the HSA that when it senses the vehicle in first gear then it starts the HSA? Disabling that switch would only effect the HSA and nothing else in the system. Just thinking out loud here.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #282
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 View Post
Just a thought, but from my reading on this HSA thread and others, didn't one say that if you went to start out in 2nd gear it didn't activate? If so then could there be a switch for the HSA that when it senses the vehicle in first gear then it starts the HSA? Disabling that switch would only effect the HSA and nothing else in the system. Just thinking out loud here.
Read #221, he switched the sensor out from the auto which obviously doesn't have HSA. Said it works like a champ! I like the HSA now that I'm use to it. No rolling backwards or need for the handbrake.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #283
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Read #221, he switched the sensor out from the auto which obviously doesn't have HSA. Said it works like a champ! I like the HSA now that I'm use to it. No rolling backwards or need for the handbrake.

I understand that but for those of us that are cheap and not wanting to spend the money, I thought that maybe there was a defeat somewhere with a switch that indicates you are in first gear.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #284
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
That was the early and somewhat wishful thinking. There probably still is a defeat in there somehow, but I think you'd at least be doing things like re-printing the circuit board that all those other things sit on.

Although it might be possible to rig a switch or a relay and rewire the backup lights to fool the HSA into thinking you're in reverse when you aren't, while keeping the lights from illuminating . . . you might have to remember where it was last set unless you get really creative.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #285
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
I've had no issues with my HSA, as soon as I see it come up I've hit the traction control button and it turns off. I did notice if I just run with traction control off the HSA still shows up
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #286
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I've had mine for a week, been driving stick cars for 30 years. My driveway is steep enough that if I stop and put it in first the HSA will activate. Have not had any issues using it, take foot off brake, apply a little gas, start releasing clutch and it takes off just fine, no kill's at all. Its was very easy to get used to. The thing that will kill it is if you are used to starting the old way, which was take foot off brake, immediately on gas and release clutch at same time, you will kill the motor. If you try to do it in a hurry, it won't work, that's why they designed it the way it is.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #287
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
But that's not the natural way for an experienced driver to drive under many forseeable situations in traffic, and anything that can get in the way of an experienced driver (like this can) is pretty much by definition not fully thought out. "Muscle memory" can be a powerful influence, and this situation is no exception.

Never mind what might happen at some point if you still have one or more other manual transmission cars that don't have this - you'd never be able to give up the "old way" completely.

It still comes back to the system that is acceptable to everybody being the system that lets you shut it completely off just like you can do with TC.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #288
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I've had mine for a week, been driving stick cars for 30 years. My driveway is steep enough that if I stop and put it in first the HSA will activate. Have not had any issues using it, take foot off brake, apply a little gas, start releasing clutch and it takes off just fine, no kill's at all. Its was very easy to get used to. The thing that will kill it is if you are used to starting the old way, which was take foot off brake, immediately on gas and release clutch at same time, you will kill the motor. If you try to do it in a hurry, it won't work, that's why they designed it the way it is.
If somebody has been driving stick more than 10 minutes they would hate this stupid thing. It's on my silverado and I hate it. And it's a automatic. It even locks up the trailer brakes.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #289
Combover

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
I've had no issues with my HSA, as soon as I see it come up I've hit the traction control button and it turns off. I did notice if I just run with traction control off the HSA still shows up
Pressing the TC button does not deactivate my HSA.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #290
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
If you hate it (Like I Did!!!), it's just 80 bucks and less than an hour of your time to make the annoying nanny go away for ever!!! I just didn't appreciate a system that couldn't be shut off when I don't want it and I definitely don't need it!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #291
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
No doubt that if I had a '13 m6 camaro it would be my very first mod. Buying the a6 sensor is a no brainer IMO.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #292
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
The HSA algorithm on my '15 Z06 (manual of course) is far less intrusive than on the 1LE. Just a light throttle blip disengages it on the Z06. The 1LE has the dam thing in lock down. GM really needs to recalibrate this.

I have read about setting the parking brake to one click but guys shouldn't have to deal with this kind of work around.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #293
rosstermyer

Drives: 16' RedHot2 6MT SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub View Post
The HSA algorithm on my '15 Z06 (manual of course) is far less intrusive than on the 1LE. Just a light throttle blip disengages it on the Z06. The 1LE has the dam thing in lock down. GM really needs to recalibrate this.

I have read about setting the parking brake to one click but guys shouldn't have to deal with this kind of work around.
mine drives me absolutely nuts as well. ive never had a clutch smell so much in a car that ive driven in my life. been driving stick all my life and never burned up a clutch. this one makes me worry...anytime there is a HSA engagement when i take off the clutch smells like ass cause the damn brakes wont ****ing let go.

Sometimes i try to watch the light and in advance release the brakes and wait 3 seconds for the HSA to disengage then start my takeoff.
rosstermyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #294
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstermyer View Post
mine drives me absolutely nuts as well.

Sometimes i try to watch the light and in advance release the brakes and wait 3 seconds for the HSA to disengage then start my takeoff.

It's a pain, but I've gotten use to taking my foot off the brake and waiting a few seconds. You can hear it release, like a pop sound, and then off I go!

Crazy though, sometimes on a fairly steep incline/decline it surprises me and doesn't engage, then other times I'm on a puny almost flat and it engages. What??? Makes no sense, sometimes I'm at the same exact stop sign, sometimes it engages and sometimes it doesn't.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote