Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #99
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
What's failing to cause this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I talked to a few people who have been following this issue for a couple of years. Basically their theory is that it was a valve train alignment issue that cause the valve to rock in the valve guide. Some tuners where beginning to collect mounting evidence on this. But they were slammed on the internet by conspiracy theorists and dropped the issue.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #100
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
So what is the most recently made car to have this issue 20**?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #101
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Why is GM stupid? Because they didn't keep building a watered down Z28 so more people could buy it? They have other models that more people could buy and would actually fit what they want if they understood what the Z/28 was.

look. you dont get it. i wanted a 427 camaro. i dont care what it is called.

this handling thing being the focus for a MUSCLECAR is all new. sure the 3rd and 4th gen handled world class for their time, but the focus for prospective owners was never taking it to a road course few would EVER see.

give it a cadillac ride and smoothness, backed with 427 cubic inches.

ford is hadly making any response to the z28. they dont care. never have.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #102
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post

this handling thing being the focus for a MUSCLECAR is all new. sure the 3rd and 4th gen handled world class for their time, but the focus for prospective owners was never taking it to a road course few would EVER see.

If all you want is a 427 Camaro and don't care what it is called, don't care that it has world class handling because you will never take it to a road course, then just buy a 1SS and pay a performance shop to drop a 427 in it. You can get all that for under $50k. The Z/28 is not for you or people like you; it was never intended to be.

And yes Ford is making a response to the Z/28; so is Dodge. Sorry but those aren't going to be for you either.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #103
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
You'll probably have to buy a Z/28, upgrade whatever parts you break, swap out the stuff you don't want, and add whatever features on a DIY basis. Otherwise, the ZL1 is really the Camaro for you.

Quote:
New to many, probably. But it's finally a series-produced car from a U.S. domestic mfr for those who don't appreciate the lack of balance in both "muscle cars" and traditional sports roadsters and smallbore sports coupes. Cars that had good straightline performance were poor in the curves, and the cars that did well in the corners either had poorish acceleration or cost more than a house.

Don't forget that drag racing started at the grassroots level and was fairly well organized before the mfrs got involved. Road course running and autocrossing is no different (just that serious mfr interest there has been delayed by a few decades because those are less visible activities).

Quote:
Minus the 427 thing (which gets trumped by 6.2 supercharged liters), see CTS-V.

Quote:
Ford is unlikely to until (unless?) they have something that can seriously challenge the Z/28. When you're late to the party, you'd best have the competition covered.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #104
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:

You are definitely in the wrong part of the forum.

The first year of Camaro introduced the Z/28 a road course car not a muscle car. Ford introduced their Boss after that and then Dodge the Challenger. All were factory backed road course cars.

Doing my best Obi Wan "this is not the 427 you're looking for". You want the LSX.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #105
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Pro Tour. G-machines. Hottest segment of street machines. For over a decade.

Good Guys shows giving up on drag races, replaced with autocrosses.

Cars that corner and stop as well as they accelerate. A "movement" that started with OEM rear anti-sway bars and disc brakes in the mid-60s.

Ford's announced departure (end '14) from heavily $upported Funny Car program. Apparently, "the force" isn't with them.

And, last but not least, a limited number of LS7s to work with. So, let's build a "COPO-like", high-capability, low volume (therefore NOT "mainstream-priced") ultimate capability cornering Camaro.

We were tipped off, two years ago, right here on camaro5. We just didn't know it, at the time.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #106
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

How do I not get it when you clearly have no idea what the Z/28 is.

1) The Z/28 was built to run in Trans Am ROAD racing
2) The Camaro was a pony car, not a muscle car. Now that it weighs 2 tons, it doesn't fit the pony car class.
3) Buy an SS and drop in a 427.

I get it, you clearly don't. This is the Z/28 forum. If you don't like the Z/28, why post here?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #107
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...shits gonna' break....despite of the best intentions, care, ignorance, or ability......ooooops, clean up in aisle seven...... The envelope can only be pushed so far, then the beefing up process must begin. It's a factory deal, the Challenger was a factory deal, needed modification, and was operated beyond it's parameters. So sad for us all.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #108
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You are definitely in the wrong part of the forum.

The first year of Camaro introduced the Z/28 a road course car not a muscle car. Ford introduced their Boss after that and then Dodge the Challenger. All were factory backed road course cars.

Doing my best Obi Wan "this is not the 427 you're looking for". You want the LSX.

look i was there. i remember... and I know numbers matching Z28's. i know exactly what they are meant for. i also know the name was used and a 350 was put in them later. (why, i have no idea).

this is a fauxe Z28. you wanna talk historical. ok, let's...

z28 should be LIGHT, have a 5 liter engine with 400hp. no frills, no nav, no 427, no irs, none of this stuff the fauxe Z28 is gonna hve.

chevrolet built a 427 hammer to bludgeon a 5 liter BOSS. just, there is no boss anymore.

call it a 427 camaro, and call it quits.the new car is NOT a Z28....in the original iteration.

you bring up the original intent, not me. the 69 427 camaros were epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
How do I not get it when you clearly have no idea what the Z/28 is.

1) The Z/28 was built to run in Trans Am ROAD racing
2) The Camaro was a pony car, not a muscle car. Now that it weighs 2 tons, it doesn't fit the pony car class.
3) Buy an SS and drop in a 427.

I get it, you clearly don't. This is the Z/28 forum. If you don't like the Z/28, why post here?

so, if i have a different opinion that is not lock step , you have a problem? ive been on C5 long enough to remember all of the fanboishness when the SS was introduced.

i have a right to display disappointment in being left out. i wanted a DAG-blamed 427 factory camaro i can never get. yes im on the right forum to post an opinion about the 2014 Z28. all of my posts are relevant just not ones you personally like.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #109
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
I'm totally new here and new to camaros but I believe the original z/28 was made just so they could run Trans Am? Trans Am is all road course period. I think the "intent" of the name holds true if it will indeed punish anything that shows up but a actual race series would help...I do not rule that out...lets wait and see.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #110
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
look i was there. i remember... and I know numbers matching Z28's. i know exactly what they are meant for. i also know the name was used and a 350 was put in them later. (why, i have no idea).

this is a fauxe Z28. you wanna talk historical. ok, let's...

z28 should be LIGHT, have a 5 liter engine with 400hp. no frills, no nav, no 427, no irs, none of this stuff the fauxe Z28 is gonna hve.

chevrolet built a 427 hammer to bludgeon a 5 liter BOSS. just, there is no boss anymore.

call it a 427 camaro, and call it quits.the new car is NOT a Z28....in the original iteration.

you bring up the original intent, not me. the 69 427 camaros were epic.
Oh my! You may have been there, however time has warped your perception.
1. Original 1Gen Z/28's were NO lighter than other Camaros.
2. Original 1Gen Z/28's had engines sized for racing in the Trans Am series (as rules changed in the series engine size changed) the fact is the Z/28 required a higher-revving engine for road-racing just like the SB 427.
3. Original 1Gen Z/28's could be ordered with EVERY option, but AC and an automatic.
4. Original 1Gen Z/28's had superior (for its day) suspensions modified from a regular Camaro. Today's Z/28 has a superior suspension based on a regular Camaro.
5. Chevy already beat both Boss's with the 1LE - they didn't build the Z/28 to do it.
6. Yes the 1969 427 Camaro's were awesome, however the 2014 is on a much much higher level. BTW, Did you know in 1969 there was a ZL1-Z/28?

In closing the 2014 Z/28 is every bit a Z/28 in its original intent. A road-racing Camaro built with superior performance and handling capabilities.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #111
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Oh my! You may have been there, however time has warped your perception.
1. Original 1Gen Z/28's were NO lighter than other Camaros.
2. Original 1Gen Z/28's had engines sized for racing in the Trans Am series (as rules changed in the series engine size changed) the fact is the Z/28 required a higher-revving engine for road-racing just like the SB 427.
3. Original 1Gen Z/28's could be ordered with EVERY option, but AC and an automatic.
4. Original 1Gen Z/28's had superior (for its day) suspensions modified from a regular Camaro. Today's Z/28 has a superior suspension based on a regular Camaro.
5. Chevy already beat both Boss's with the 1LE - they didn't build the Z/28 to do it.
6. Yes the 1969 427 Camaro's were awesome, however the 2014 is on a much much higher level. BTW, Did you know in 1969 there was a ZL1-Z/28?

In closing the 2014 Z/28 is every bit a Z/28 in its original intent. A road-racing Camaro built with superior performance and handling capabilities.
"3. Original 1Gen Z/28's could be ordered with EVERY option, but AC and an automatic."

And no convertible.

"BTW, Did you know in 1969 there was a ZL1-Z/28?"

I've never seen nor heard of this one, I'd like more info on it.

I agree completely with everything else you said!
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #112
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
"3. Original 1Gen Z/28's could be ordered with EVERY option, but AC and an automatic."

And no convertible.

"BTW, Did you know in 1969 there was a ZL1-Z/28?"

I've never seen nor heard of this one, I'd like more info on it.

I agree completely with everything else you said!
I don't consider the vert' as an option. It was a ZL1 with all the Z/28 suspension goodies.
Attached Images