Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

View Poll Results: SMS Track Day Entry Fee Pricing
Too High (wow!)? 9 64.29%
Just Right (alot of fun for the price)? 5 35.71%
Too Low (an awesome deal!)? 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
-Trigger-
USER

Drives: 1SS, 1968 Camaro V8 396
Fee going up

Well im not the riff raff but hey I might be depending who you talk to but with me only able to drive down everynow and then to do some track time I cant see spending the membership fee if I only go 2-3 times year and the extra $30 a trip thats gas money for me so dont think I will be doing rack days anytime soon.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
ZZTOM

Drives: 67 Camaro 350, 2010 2SS
We need Curt to chime in on this. Hey Curt!!!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
My understanding from the last drivers meeting attended when the increase was announced was that if you were a drivers club member in good standing, that the track fee would remain at $20, if a person was not a drivers club member the daily track fee would be $50. these fees were increasing due to the necessity of having additional staff at the track. It was further announced that Helmets would be required after the first if the year. I don't recall if there was to be an entrance fee for guests and/or observers. Perhaps Curt could clarify ??

My personal opinion for what its worth; I think the $ 20 fee was a bargain !, at $50 I have second thoughts since I personally have a use of about 12-18 laps on the track when I go, I enjoy it very much though I'd most likely be considered " the riff raff " by some as I am a complete amature and when on the track with others who are there for some serious practice I am holding them up. This I do understand and try to make it as easy for other to pass as possible. I go because I enjoy my friends there and like learning some driving skills in My Camaro with the help of Jim and the other fine drivers out there, I really have no asparations of becoming a profesional or amature race car driver but i really do apprieciate and enjoy having an appropriate and safe place to do this rather than the public streets. (thanks Jim Guthrie and the officers of SMS for opening this to the public !)

As far as the drivers club is concerened, with the annual membership and the monthly fee, the math wouldn't work for me, I plan on going onto the track once a month at the $50 and if there is no charge for observers to cheer on our fellow C5ers. I have no issues at all with and even support the helmet requirement.

Last edited by Ocikat; 01-07-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
cjingle

Drives: 1969 Camaro RS, 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thumbs up Great Feedback!

Keep the comments coming folks! This is great!

I'm keeping Jim in the loop on this as this gives him valuable feedback to make the track a better service to you.

I'm certain the goal here is to provide a safe place for folks to get to know their cars and improve their driving ability at a reasonable cost. Most important of all, is to have fun.

I don't think the folks at SMS are trying to screw anyone. Like any other business, they are trying to make a profit. As mentioned before, the price change is necessary to improve safety at the track and provide other services.

In any case, your feedback here is letting Jim know where that "balance" is. I know SMS doesn't want to push people away. So, trust me, this feedback is sinking in and the fee is currently being revisited.

I'll find out if there is an entrance fee for passengers and/or observers. I don't think there is, but I'll check.

For this upcoming track day, helmets are still optional. But, keep in mind, it will be required in the near future.

Curt
cjingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
rharp

Drives: 2010 SVT Raptor/ 70 Chevelle SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocikat View Post
My understanding from the last drivers meeting attended when the increase was announced was that if you were a drivers club member in good standing, that the track fee would remain at $20, if a person was not a drivers club meeting the daily track fee would be $50. these fees were increasing due to the necessity of having additional staff at the track. It was further announced that Helmets would be required after the first if the year. I don't recall if there was to be an entrance fee for guests and/or observers. Perhaps Curt could clarify ??

My personal opinion for what its worth; I think the $ 20 fee was a bargain !, at $50 I have second thoughts since I personally have a use of about 12-18 laps on the track when I go, I enjoy it very much though I'd most likely be considered " the riff raff " by some as I am a complete amature and when on the track with others who are there for some serious practice I am holding them up. This I do understand and try to make it as easy for other to pass as possible. I go because I enjoy my friends there and like learning some driving skills in My Camaro with the help of Jim and the other fine drivers out there, I really have no asparations of becoming a profesional or amature race car driver but i really do apprieciate and enjoy having an appropriate and safe place to do this rather than the public streets. (thanks Jim Guthrie and the officers of SMS for opening this to the public !)

As far as the drivers club is concerened, with the annual membership and the monthly fee, the math wouldn't work for me, I plan on going onto the track once a month at the $50 and if there is no charge for observers to cheer on our fellow C5ers. I have no issues at all with and even support the helmet requirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjingle View Post
Keep the comments coming folks! This is great!

I'm keeping Jim in the loop on this as this gives him valuable feedback to make the track a better service to you.

I'm certain the goal here is to provide a safe place for folks to get to know their cars and improve their driving ability at a reasonable cost. Most important of all, is to have fun.

I don't think the folks at SMS are trying to screw anyone. Like any other business, they are trying to make a profit. As mentioned before, the price change is necessary to improve safety at the track and provide other services.

In any case, your feedback here is letting Jim know where that "balance" is. I know SMS doesn't want to push people away. So, trust me, this feedback is sinking in and the fee is currently being revisited.

I'll find out if there is an entrance fee for passengers and/or observers. I don't think there is, but I'll check.

For this upcoming track day, helmets are still optional. But, keep in mind, it will be required in the near future.

Very well said......
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharp View Post
Very well said......
I agree and support whatever decision SMS and the Track Officers deem fit as the price of admission.

Because like everyone seems to gather, it's much more affordable (even at $50) to really take the Camaro through the loops there than anywhere else around.

No pun intended on the Loop part....I technically "veered" and didn't "loop or spin." LOL

Either way, at $20, I saw more and more people showing up towards the end of the year so there certainly was a "draw" to that pricepoint.

Once a month, $50 is reasonable. Otherwise, I truly believe that becoming a Member of the Drivers' Club is the most affordable way to get out and get your "moneys worth" if you plan on more than once a month on a yearly basis.

My $.98 worth...
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
cjingle

Confirmed: No cost to anyone who wishes to come out, hang out and watch. See you there.

Curt
Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Thanks Curt !

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I should see you there also unless there are any unforseen blizzards.
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood
2010 BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Jim and the rest of the track crew put on one hell of a chance to really play with our cars. Try driving like you stole it on the streets and people and cars get hurt. As said before it is all economics, those guys have a huge investment out there at the track, they cant do it for pennies and keep it open for everyone to enjoy. My local drag strip charges 20 bucks just to run in a staight line, and they dont have a tenth of the investment Jim and the others do in their facility.
I had a blast when I went up there last year, and will do whatever I can to hit the track multiple times this year! I know it has been said hundreds of times before but if you want to play......
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
drPhilGandini

Drives: Porsche Cayman S
I find the arguments to support the track convincing, but the website to join the Club is inoperable---you cannot select a year for the credit card beyond 2010, which means that you can only use an expired card! I tried to contact the manager Dave but get no response. It seems to me that being able to join the Club when you turn up to the track (to get immediate benefits of membership) would be a great idea. I plan to come out this morning and would rather pay the member's $20 (after joining) than the non-members $50.
Let's hope I have that option, as I've been trying to join the Club for the last week.
drPhilGandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
NM_Tim

Drives: 2011 Black SS2/RS
wish i saw this sooner, great day out for a ride, i will show next time though!!!
NM_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Welcome NM Tim! It was a great day out for a ride today! The weather was much nicer today than it has been. We had 4 camaros from our group out at the track today and we were joined by a 1969 camaro out there! There was also a cool challenger. Damian came with his brother in his firebird. I gave everyone a scare by doing a couple 360's down the short straightaway but we came out of it ok. I have to give the bravery award to Mike he even went back out there with me after that! Here's some pics from today.
Name:  T1.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  T2.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  T3.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  T4.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  T5.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  T6.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  T7.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  93.4 KB
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood
2010 BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #28
cjingle

Totally Awesome!

Today was an awesome day for the track!!

Time just flew by. There weren't too many people (a few Mazdas, a Subi,
a Porsche, a BMW, even a Challenger) there so we had the track to ourselves. Four hours of pure fun!

Diana's new suspension makes her car "stick" to the track. I felt like I was in that BMW M5 again.

I got to ride in that '69 (see the last picture) . I was pleasantly surprised as to how well it handled on the track. Don said he put Hotchkis springs and a sway bar on the front, which explains its ride. Very nice.

I feel much better now by going with Hotchkis and adding the other suspension components to my '69. If it's close to Don's '69, mine will perform nicely!

As we were going around the track, Diana came "screaming" up behind us , Don signaled her to pass on the back straight away. As she did, all we saw out of the rear window was a new 2010 spinning a 360!

Diana performed flawlessly in getting her car back in control

She took another lap to settle down (good for her). After coming in to pit (and to calm down), she actually went out again for another run!

The weather was awesome. Not cold at all. The burritos and coffee were great!

All in all, we had a blast today. You guys missed out on a good one.
Attached Images

Curt

Tags
food, fun, racing, sms, track day