Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #43
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
both of the cars look mean and perform excellent, given poor track conditions. its easy to see that both are 11 second cars hell w/ slicks probably 10's. I'd get either of those before id get a challenger. only thing that sets me off on the mustang is the new back ends. it screams Supra IMO. But for LPE car being nearly 70K yikes. umm why not drop the LSA or LS9 for that price. I'm sure LSA w/ forged pistons and same mods would probably cost the same. even w/ the smaller tvs 1900 blower on there. up the boost a bit if necessary if u want more power.

I really wish GM would have used the Sigma platform, for this car. I think its Sigma. the lighter platform that the next gen camaro and CTS/ATS will be on. imagin that power with, what is it 300lbs less? it would be nuts. better balanced for sure. n e ways props to both cars for being 2 bad ass cars.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #44
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
One thing that struck me is the difference in dimensions of the two cars. The SS is so much wider compared with the Roush, and also shorter in height (a good thing). I imagine the next version of the Camaro could shave 200lbs just reducing the width.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #45
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
One thing that struck me is the difference in dimensions of the two cars. The SS is so much wider compared with the Roush, and also shorter in height (a good thing). I imagine the next version of the Camaro could shave 200lbs just reducing the width.
I don't think reducing width in the Camaro would be that easy without a re-design. The Camaro is already equal or smaller inside than a Mustang GT, do you really want to lose more headroom and shoulder-room?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #46
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Seventy Thousand Dollars for a Camaro?!?!

I could buy a 2SS and a C6 for that kind of money.

I think Helen Keller was the lead designer for the rear end on the mouseturd, seriously, I think she was.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #47
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
I don't think reducing width in the Camaro would be that easy without a re-design. The Camaro is already equal or smaller inside than a Mustang GT, do you really want to lose more headroom and shoulder-room?
that's my understanding: a redesign. Someone who's supposedly seen the blueprint for the 2014 Camaro, and obviously did not give specific details said the 2014 is completely re-engineered and is smaller and lighter, and is based on the alpha platform. I tried to figure in my head how it could be made "smaller" and comparing it with the Mustang side-by-side, the answer's pretty obvious.

Obviously the interior space of the Stang is not compromised as you imply would be the case should the Camaro be reduced in exterior dimensions.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #48
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
These threads are killing me!!! I had Lingenfelter do the 570 package at the beginning of the winter, and have had it stored in my garage ever since. The snow has melted, but the roads around here are still covered in sand and salt. It's really hard to not call the insurance company right now to take it for a spin.
Feel your pain have almost done the same. Want to drive it BAD!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #49
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
that's my understanding: a redesign. Someone who's supposedly seen the blueprint for the 2014 Camaro, and obviously did not give specific details said the 2014 is completely re-engineered and is smaller and lighter, and is based on the alpha platform. I tried to figure in my head how it could be made "smaller" and comparing it with the Mustang side-by-side, the answer's pretty obvious.

Obviously the interior space of the Stang is not compromised as you imply would be the case should the Camaro be reduced in exterior dimensions.
Yes, same is needed for the Challenger too.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #50
nichoLaS9

Drives: '96 Grand 'Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81z28355 View Post
In some of the pics it looks like it has been eating very well compared to the Mustang.

Camaro is lower but a lot longer and wider looking.

I prefer the looks of a basic GT to what they did to the car in the pictures, the Camaro looks very nice.
lol yeah hungry probably wasn't the best word. dangerous/intimidating/scary/aggressive/lethal/stang'eating/hide the kids, may be more appropriate

garagelogic: gotta agree with you; the size of camaros (including the 4th gen f-bodies) has always been my #1 drawback. Both of these cars are still fairly composed, given their extra weight, but i gotta admit, the camaro struts it around just a little better A little diet could go a long way though..
Old 03-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #51
abu_yahya

Drives: CGM 2SS\RS
camaro rules
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #52
nosrettap58
nosrettap58

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible
They quit making the mustang after 1970.
nosrettap58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #53
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Nice cars... and am happy the Camaro came out on top !!
Where in the article did it say the Camaro won?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #54
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Where in the article did it say the Camaro won?
It didn't. In fact, they said:

Quote:
We are not ranking them here as we do usually because that struck us as meaningless—if you’re a dedicated Chevy guy, nothing is going to convince you to go out and spend twice the money for a modified Mustang.
And I would add to that, if you are a dedicated Ford guy, nothing is going to convince you to go out and spend twice the money for a modified Camaro.

I thought the article did a good job pointing out the pro's and con's of both aftermarket vehicles. I guess if you consider the 0-60 and quarter-mile times alone, the you could call the Camaro the winner. Of course, if you consider how they rated the handling between the cars, the Mustang wins.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #55
remjay

Drives: 94 Celica
Quote:

That's the first Shelby I've ever seen without stripes. Looks much nicer/classier in my opinion. I'm in the minority I suspect, but I think that stripes look rice not nice. That's why you don't see Porsches/Lamborghinis/Ferraris/Audis/Aston Martin/Maseratis/BMWs (need I go on?) with stripes.

What are we, 21?

Many exotic vehicles are available with stripes.
remjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #56
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
SLP Version - let's compare

I'm somewhat suspect of the LPE cars - have not seen overwhelming performance for the $$ and this level of engineering should deliver better performance. I have seen some excellent performance from the SLP cars - $$ to value is much better for my money. I have many Camaros (1 gen model of the first 4) and am looking for my 5th gen. I hope Chevy can deliver the 2011 Z28 - if not, I like the SLP XXX. Although I like how the LF looks, for $70K, I better be able to kick the crap almost everything on the road..........I'm still waiting.
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote