Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #547
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ok, I get the 1-2 shift thing. It makes sense to me, and about the losing boost between shifts in a manual car....

...but in the first video posted above the ABM got off to what looks to me like a nice launch, but yet the VR Camaro seems to catch him towards the end. Even with the loss of boost during shifts, how in the world did that NA V6 catch the boosted V6?

Could the loss of boost and then trying to spin up the turbos again cause that much power loss while trying to spin em up again?

Sorry, just seems strange.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #548
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Actually, I did give starting in second gear a thought. Hmmm?
You'd be able to launch at a little high RPMs, building more boost off the line. Are you looking at a shift light? When it bounces off the rev limiter it feels like forever until the computer gives control back. I'm at the point where I have to shift to fourth right as I get to the first set of timing lights or bounce off the rev limiter.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #549
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Ok, I get the 1-2 shift thing. It makes sense to me, and about the losing boost between shifts in a manual car....

...but in the first video posted above the ABM got off to what looks to me like a nice launch, but yet the VR Camaro seems to catch him towards the end. Even with the loss of boost during shifts, how in the world did that NA V6 catch the boosted V6?

Could the loss of boost and then trying to spin up the turbos again cause that much power loss while trying to spin em up again?

Actually that's rtcat600man's IOM...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #550
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
You'd be able to launch at a little high RPMs, building more boost off the line. Are you looking at a shift light? When it bounces off the rev limiter it feels like forever until the computer gives control back. I'm at the point where I have to shift to fourth right as I get to the first set of timing lights or bounce off the rev limiter.
Yeah, Rich was telling how long it was taking to recover from hitting the rev limiter...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #551
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Ahhh...OK! Looks nice! I wasn't sure whos that was so I just decided to refer to them as 'ABM' and 'VR'. My bad.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #552
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
Your right, even spinning the tires, 1st and 2nd I jumped out ahead about a car length each gear, then something went amiss. Take notice of the exhaust. I had hit the limiter and it wouldn't recover. I will be working on it. I feel as I have said the potential is there, I just have to get it all to come together.

Oh, you have a nice color on your car! LOL

Last edited by Rdditten; 11-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #553
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Rich appears to get a great jump on me because he red lighted. Keep in mind if he bounces off the rev limiter on his 1 -2 shift and then again on the 2 -3 shift the race is over at that point. Our Camaro's are going thru the traps in 3rd gear. No time to spool up again.

Quote:
Thanks Scrming. Correct it is IOM, even thou we know it sometimes appears to be VR.

Quote:
Yeah, Rich was telling how long it was taking to recover from hitting the rev limiter...
Rich was even thinking about short shifting, if I remember correctly to help it from bouncing off the rev limiter. Rich was thinking the rev limiter was at 6800 and I was thinking it was 7000 RPM's.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #554
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
Oh, yeah, I did have a -.143 light on that one. I forgot......
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #555
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Oh, yeah, I did have a -.143 light on that one. I forgot......
NP. I was just pointing out why it looked like a big jump. My reaction time wasn't exactly the best. Still working on that. My 14 run avg. was .308 with one red light and two of them over .5 (guess I was taking a nap).
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #556
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
A turbocharger is driven by exhaust gas. It takes a certain amount of exhaust energy to drive the exhaust wheel. If you split the total exhaust over two turbochargers, they will be a little less efficient than a single turbo of an equivalent size.

How fast a car comes up on boost has everything to do with the size of the turbocharger wheels. The power a turbocharger, and by design, the engine makes is dependent on the size of turbocharger.

Bigger turbochargers make more power.

Smaller turbochargers make less power.

The smaller turbo will come up faster than a bigger turbo. The more displacement and exhaust energy you have, the quicker the turbo will come up.

Pick a turbocharger by the power you want to make. Build everything else around that. If you want to make 400 hp, the turbocharger will be much smaller than a turbocharger that will support 1000 hp.
agreed. there are benefits to both..a smaller turbo would mean a quicker power band and more fun to drive. bigger turbos mean slower power bands but big power.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #557
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Rich was even thinking about short shifting, if I remember correctly to help it from bouncing off the rev limiter. Rich was thinking the rev limiter was at 6800 and I was thinking it was 7000 RPM's.
I believe it is 7K.
Any v6's with a shift light?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #558
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I believe it is 7K.
Any v6's with a shift light?
Is not possible to vary?! My dyno runs drop off at 6800 and 7000 and i dont think he lifted?? If he lifted its 7k just trying to help..
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #559
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Does anybody think the STS setup would pull 13's on a 6AT? For reference, I ran a 14.7 in the summer which corrected to a 14.006 in a stock 6MT with the RS 20's and running 87 fuel. I have raced and beat all the other autos (SS included) in our small fleet.

Don't feel too bad. My bro with the SS auto cannot break into the 13's. He's messed with his Predator ad nauseum, has tried mixing 110 leaded with 104 unleaded and no dice.

Keep at it. We are all still very interested. Thank you for posting your results. I'm a little less frustrated with Hennessey and Lingenfelter now...lol.

There are no shift lights that I know of and yes that 1-2 crunch does not sound nice. But I ran my best time "crunching".
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #560
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0 View Post
Is not possible to vary?! My dyno runs drop off at 6800 and 7000 and i dont think he lifted?? If he lifted its 7k just trying to help..
Oh, I believe they can have some variance. I just know at around 7k mine feels like I've lost control of the pedal.