Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #1
HPE600SS

Drives: 2010 Hennessey Camaro SS
Chopped LS3 Engine??

Wondering if anyone can help with my engine identifier issue...

I recently purchased a used 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS LS3 engine from a salvage yard for a project car (street legal cup car) that I'm working on. My state inspection requires vehicle donor info for any used parts used on a special construct (kit car), otherwise I need proof of purchase for a new parts used on my project. This is for "major components" only. The salvage yard didn't have the donor car info but I did end up purchasing it, knowing I could probably track down the donor by checking the stamping below the driver side head, on the rear of the block. I was not so concerned over the condition of the engine as long as the block is fine because the whole engine is getting stripped down completely by my engine builder, re-sleeved and replacing all the internals with forged offerings. Here is where the confusion sets in...

The VIN I pulled from the block is the last 9, supposedly.

Now GM verifies or recognizes the last 8 in their databases to pull up the entire VIN number.

The number I have on the block is 1A9141000.

When I had a friend pull up the build sheet from GM using the last 8, they pulled up a VIN number of 2G1FS1EW2A9141000.

What the....Can you please help me figure out why the VIN has 1 instead of a 2??

My initial thought was it was a fictitious number but the just wanted some feedback on this to make sure I am decoding this correctly. I am unaware of why this would be different, obviously hoping to God this engine is not chopped, hot, etc.... Everything appears to be factory stamped. See pics.

I did pull a Carfax report on the GM verified VIN with the 2 and found that, it is consistent with what I purchased. Shows a salvaged 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS.

What's the deal here?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Images

2010 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro SS (#5), 1 7/8" American Racing Headers, American Racing Headers High Flow Cats, Hennessey SS 3" Midpipe, 3" ZL1 Corsa Stainless Steel Sport Exhaust w/ Black Tips, Pedders Coilover Suspension, 20" HRE 860r 3pc Custom Wheels in Satin Black, Michelin Pilot Sports (275/315), Genuine GM ZL1 Bumper, ZL1 Grill, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Rear Diffuser, Matte Black ZL1 Spoiler, P13W 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, H11 5000k LED Foglight Bulbs, Custom Lighting/Angel Eye Harnesses by DIY 5th Gen, Matte Black Hood and rear trunk lid, 32% Ceramic Tint, 100% Nasty.

Last edited by HPE600SS; 02-14-2019 at 03:21 AM.
HPE600SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
cypressh
Canadian

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I do believe the 9th digit is just a check digit in the serial number, the last 8 is used to determine what vehicle it is, So you will be in the clear.
cypressh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
HPE600SS

Drives: 2010 Hennessey Camaro SS
Okay thanks cypressh! I thought that check digit would need to be the same as the original VIN check digit. So do you know why the check digit would vary in this case?
2010 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro SS (#5), 1 7/8" American Racing Headers, American Racing Headers High Flow Cats, Hennessey SS 3" Midpipe, 3" ZL1 Corsa Stainless Steel Sport Exhaust w/ Black Tips, Pedders Coilover Suspension, 20" HRE 860r 3pc Custom Wheels in Satin Black, Michelin Pilot Sports (275/315), Genuine GM ZL1 Bumper, ZL1 Grill, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Rear Diffuser, Matte Black ZL1 Spoiler, P13W 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, H11 5000k LED Foglight Bulbs, Custom Lighting/Angel Eye Harnesses by DIY 5th Gen, Matte Black Hood and rear trunk lid, 32% Ceramic Tint, 100% Nasty.
HPE600SS is offline   Reply With Quote