Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
UNDsioux

Drives: Silver SS
Camaro deal cancelled-Scam?

I had a deal with a guy for a low mile 11 camaro for a good price and already had the modifications I would have put on it like exhaust. This guy goes the day before i was supposed to drive five hours to pick it up to tell me cashiers checks dont work, only cash. Not only this, he refused to meet anywhere except his home, and on top of that, doesnt even have the title. The loan place has his title, and I couldnt recieve a copy even before it was payed off. His reasoning for cash was because he didnt want the money in his account and he didnt want the government to see the funds. What a bunch of bs. I obviously cancelled the deal. Said good luck finding someone to pick the car up under those circumstances. U guys think this was a scam or what
UNDsioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
UNDsioux

Oh and his excuse for me going thru the BS when i asked why anyone would do this, was because im getting a $45k car for a "good deal" at 28k.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
yup
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
I can see not accepting a cashiers check, I wouldn't, there have been scams with them almost from the day they were invented, and Im sure used on whatever was used before them. i also wouldn't show up anywhere like that with that kind of cash, heck just a public place isn't good enough. You would need to be somewhere with security and cameras, like a bank.

That being said, I cant see him having a problem with you going to wherever he has his loan left on, paying that part off directly with them,the bank with the loan, having the title put in your name, though them, and giving him the balance in cash there at the bank.

That way he doesn't have it put in his bank, you have it verified the title is in your name, and the transaction happens in a public and secure location.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
UNDsioux

Not worth risking anything and going thru that just for a car that there are hundreds of for and probably for better deals. He was an ass too
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
tom231

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
If I pay cash for a car, I want the title signed and in hand. Especially that kind of money.
tom231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
UNDsioux

Yep the cash part wasn't the deal I was worried with. I understand people scam cashiers checks. But he didn't even have the title and he wanted me to give him the cash a week before the title would be sent to me.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Wait it had mods and only had 11 miles?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Too much crap. Definitely find another deal
Old 07-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
UNDsioux

2011 camaeo. 17k miles. Sorry
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDsioux View Post
I had a deal with a guy for a low mile 11 camaro for a good price and already had the modifications I would have put on it like exhaust. This guy goes the day before i was supposed to drive five hours to pick it up to tell me cashiers checks dont work, only cash. Not only this, he refused to meet anywhere except his home, and on top of that, doesnt even have the title. The loan place has his title, and I couldnt recieve a copy even before it was payed off. His reasoning for cash was because he didnt want the money in his account and he didnt want the government to see the funds. What a bunch of bs. I obviously cancelled the deal. Said good luck finding someone to pick the car up under those circumstances. U guys think this was a scam or what
No one in their right mind would show up at a private house with 28k cash and not expect to be robbed... Good thing you backed out, probably saved yourself a lot of trouble.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
On top of everything else, what guaranty do you have that he actually OWNS the vehicle without having the title.

Not all lending institutions hold onto your title themselves. For example my credit union just places a lein on the title and the title is maked as such. I still recieve the title myself.

I just can't sell the car till the lein is lifted.

If ANYTHING, I would offer to go with him to whatever bank or credit union it's financed at, give the cashiers check to the bank, get the title released to you right then and there and give him whatever cash is left from the check.

that way the car is paid off, you get the title free and clear, and he gets whatever cash is remaining from your check.

you get what you want, he gets what he wants.

Other than that, walk away from this one.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Too much explanation from a guy just to sell a car. Walk.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
On top of everything else, what guaranty do you have that he actually OWNS the vehicle without having the title.

Not all lending institutions hold onto your title themselves. For example my credit union just places a lein on the title and the title is maked as such. I still recieve the title myself.

I just can't sell the car till the lein is lifted.

If ANYTHING, I would offer to go with him to whatever bank or credit union it's financed at, give the cashiers check to the bank, get the title released to you right then and there and give him whatever cash is left from the check.

that way the car is paid off, you get the title free and clear, and he gets whatever cash is remaining from your check.

you get what you want, he gets what he wants.

Other than that, walk away from this one.
Here in Washington state the state holds the title to the car. You get the title when you pay off the car.