Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #113
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
These halogen headlights are rubbish. Get the RS package
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #114
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
What did you not understand? Owning a Versa is A LOT CHEAPER than owning a Camaro! So much for your cost of ownership. What I'm saying is. If owning a Camaro is going to burden you financially to the point that you have to worry about buying tires this probably isn't the car for you. There isn't a huge price difference between 19s-20s. I did a quick search on tirerack.com. Cheapest 19 inch original fitment tires! Set of 4: $652.00. Cheapest staggered 20s Set of 4: $728.00. If an extra $75 bucks once every 3 years for tires is to much. You can't afford the car!
Really. So now you get to tell us how we should spend our money, and how much is too much.

Perhaps I should have worded the comment "Camaro cost of ownership," not just "cost of ownership."

When I look at a car purchase, I take a variety of cost of ownership factors into consideration. Maintenance and wear & tear items are one of them.

When choosing between an SS and a V6, for example, I considered the increased cost of oil changes. The cost of required premium fuel. I look at the picture as a whole. You could say that the cost each of those items isn't THAT much more than the other option, but over time each of them adds up.

And I plan to keep this car for many, many miles.

And yes, I considered the cost of replacement tires, and the fact that 4 19" tires of the same size would be cheaper than 4 20" tires of staggered sizes.

Just because I feel it was not worth it to pay the extra cost of Camaro ownership for an option package or a different trim level doesn't mean I stretched to buy my car.

I can afford the car I chose just fine.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #115
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Ok folks. went to see the rs 2lt. Salesman a young jackass. anyway car a year old build. 470 miles and glitter in back seat. told me it was new. this was used by high school kids. who knows how driven. toneau dirty and no window sticker. I walked. so may go with non rs vert with 65 miles and it has nav
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #116
SkullDuggery

Drives: 2011 Black LS
Well when I bought my LS I *thought* I liked the non RS headlights better than the Halos, I thought they showed the shape of the headlights better. I always knew I would upgrade to the 20" wheels cuz I had to have those things. But after 3 years of owning my car and adding things like fog lights and oem spoiler my only real regret is not getting the halos. They do look mean as hell going down the road. I have thought about upgrading but I just can't justify the cost of even refurbished ones. I still love my car but MAN I want those damn halos.
SkullDuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #117
kevinw

There is no right or wrong answer. to each their own and non rs camaro and ss all have their price points going in new and used. A person can take a ls and make it ur own . tires gas prices insurance and how car will be used all play in. get what u can justify. hell i would love a zl1 vert but car is not practical as a dd and cost and ins and maintsience too much. i have a 9 yr old boy i want to put thru college someday. its all priorties. be happy and thankful
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #118
gramps_green_rs
ex-RCAF

Drives: 11 SGM1LTRS SV1000S
interesting read. OP, get the car you want, not what others tell you to get.
I got the RS package and would again. Was my choice. The Pzeros will not last as long as all season 19"s. But you can get hi-performance 20"s after they are done. I like the look of the 20"s better, but just my opinion.
hope everything works for you.

gramps
Old 09-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #119
kevinw

Thanks bluebeast
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #120
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullDuggery View Post
Well when I bought my LS I *thought* I liked the non RS headlights better than the Halos, I thought they showed the shape of the headlights better. I always knew I would upgrade to the 20" wheels cuz I had to have those things. But after 3 years of owning my car and adding things like fog lights and oem spoiler my only real regret is not getting the halos. They do look mean as hell going down the road. I have thought about upgrading but I just can't justify the cost of even refurbished ones. I still love my car but MAN I want those damn halos.
hold in there because you'll get your halos.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #121
911medic

Quote:
You seam to be the only one offended by what I said. I simply supplied facts.
So, telling someone who is considering a Camaro that if they're concerned about the cost difference between different sized replacement tires that "Good God" they should be looking at a Versa is "supplying facts" and not being sarcastic or condescending? Hmm. OK. Yes, Versa facts are very helpful.

Quote:
There is ruffly a $75 dollar difference between a set of 19 inch size tires and the next larger size. I don't care how long you intend to keep your Camaro. But the RS package adds value to the car. Doesn't matter if you keep the car one year or 30 years! Did you factor that while you were being so frugal? No probably not.
You know what, you're absolutely right. I did not consider the increase in resale value the RS package provides. OP, you should indeed factor that into your buying consideration.
Quote:
Do you watch Barrett Jackson? Which cars have the most residual value? The Base model car with no options or the car with desirable options?
I am familiar with the show, and have already conceded the point that trade-in or resale value is affected by adding the RS package. I just wanted to say that I LOL'd at the idea of a V6 2012 Camaro up on the stage, RS package or not.
Quote:
I'm still not sure how you misconstrued what I typed above as me telling you how to spend your money?
Because you said that if I (or anyone else) here want to consider things like the cost of replacement tires, then we "can't afford the car." What I or others choose to factor into our purchasing decisions is up to us, not for you to judge.
Quote:
I just offered an opinion that was different from yours.
Not quite. THIS would be you offering your opinion:
Quote:
Everyone defines worth differently. You chose a basic V6. Because as you explained, it wasn't "WORTH" the extra cost of Camaro ownership to spring for the SS or the RS package. I chose to check every option box available when buying the SS. It was worth the extra cost of Camaro ownership to me.
And I can completely agree with that. But you did a bit more than that. You said that if the OP is concerned about what you consider to be minor cost of ownership differences, that he can't afford the car and he should be looking at a Versa instead of a Camaro.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #122
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
There is no right or wrong answer. to each their own and non rs camaro and ss all have their price points going in new and used. A person can take a ls and make it ur own . tires gas prices insurance and how car will be used all play in. get what u can justify. hell i would love a zl1 vert but car is not practical as a dd and cost and ins and maintsience too much. i have a 9 yr old boy i want to put thru college someday. its all priorties. be happy and thankful
Absolutely, Kevin. Consider all the factors, including, as BlueBeast has pointed out, the resale value of the RS package.

I have 3 kids to put through college as well. Finding the balance that is right for your situation is something only YOU can do, after considering all the factors YOU find important.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #123
kevinw

Bought the new non rs vert. it is all black. saw it at dealer today. looks great . they got the heritage grill on and flares. looks great with polished 19s. clear bra tomorrow and was and get scratches out. got rubber floor mats too. 65 miles on car and got a decent deal. i paid for grill and bra at cost. dealer supplied flares and rear carpet mats. has nav too
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #124
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
Bought the new non rs vert. it is all black. saw it at dealer today. looks great . they got the heritage grill on and flares. looks great with polished 19s. clear bra tomorrow and was and get scratches out. got rubber floor mats too. 65 miles on car and got a decent deal. i paid for grill and bra at cost. dealer supplied flares and rear carpet mats. has nav too
Let me be the to congratulate you . Welcome to the owners team. Enjoy the beast . Don't forget to post pictures . I know you're happy that it is finally over.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #125
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I like the RS package to tell you the truth.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #126
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
I like the RS package but I also enjoy the look of the non RS package. I like the old-school look of the camaro so I felt like the non RS headlights chimed in with it. I did get the high polished wheels though because they look much better than the painted stocks. Do I think the RS package is worth the 1400? Hell no. BUT when buying a $36K+ car what is another 1400 dollars? maybe like 5 dollars a month when financing.

We all get to walk out to our cars every morning and be greatful that we have such nice, fast, amazing cars to drive to work in. (or to dunkin donuts if you are retired)
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote