Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
2011 2SS windshield(none available?!)

When I purchased my car the windshield had a small crack in it and I was assured it would promptly be replaced so I went ahead with the deal. Here we are 3 weeks later and 2 trips to the dealers glass place and still no new windshield. I fully expect to get it replaced but I am getting tired of waiting. Has anyone heard of a shortage of windshields for the 2011? The last trip to the glass place resulted in the dealer getting the wrong one, something about the black area in the center being the wrong size. Anyone heard anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
When I purchased my car the windshield had a small crack in it and I was assured it would promptly be replaced so I went ahead with the deal. Here we are 3 weeks later and 2 trips to the dealers glass place and still no new windshield. I fully expect to get it replaced but I am getting tired of waiting. Has anyone heard of a shortage of windshields for the 2011? The last trip to the glass place resulted in the dealer getting the wrong one, something about the black area in the center being the wrong size. Anyone heard anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you get a we owe in writing? If so, I would tell the dealer to get me a new windshield ASAP or get me a new identical vehicle. It not only can be unsafe but you can also be ticketed for it. Tell them to replace it.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I waited 3 months to get my new 2011 2SS windshield. My dealer claims they actually had to pull one out of the factory at Oshawa after it was escalated. My windshield also had a tiny crack/scratch upon delivery. Don't settle for anything but the OEM windshield for the 2SS or 2LT since it has special glass/glaze for the HUD.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Why not use Safelite? They can have it in days.... can't tell any difference

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
I waited 3 months to get my new 2011 2SS windshield. My dealer claims they actually had to pull one out of the factory at Oshawa after it was escalated. My windshield also had a tiny crack/scratch upon delivery. Don't settle for anything but the OEM windshield for the 2SS or 2LT since it has special glass/glaze for the HUD.
Definitely will not be having anything but the OEM windshield! I bought it new and that's what's going on it.

I call the salesman every other day.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

It seems the windshield is in and this time it's the correct one. Getting it installed tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
the Kolektor
Patiently waiting....

Drives: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Good job, finally!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Good to hear.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
Do not use safelite..........Safelite has not and will not ever be a OEM glass. no car company has ever used safelite glass in a production car. safelite is a aftermarket company that uses there own manufactured glass. The OEM glass for the camaros is pilkington. there are other makers of windshields, but Pilkington is the orginal glass for these cars. You were haveing problems getting the windshield for your car im assuming because it has the HUD. The windshield for the 2010-2011 camaro is available from Pilkington with and without remote start. the HUD is not available other than from the dealer as of yet.
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan69 View Post
Do not use safelite..........Safelite has not and will not ever be a OEM glass. no car company has ever used safelite glass in a production car. safelite is a aftermarket company that uses there own manufactured glass. The OEM glass for the camaros is pilkington. there are other makers of windshields, but Pilkington is the orginal glass for these cars. You were haveing problems getting the windshield for your car im assuming because it has the HUD. The windshield for the 2010-2011 camaro is available from Pilkington with and without remote start. the HUD is not available other than from the dealer as of yet.
X2 !!! Safelite is the worst...
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan69 View Post
Rog! This windshield was ordered by and came to the dealer. The glass place is just installing it.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
rog?

that is what i just typed. i said the hud w/s is not available aftermarket yet it is a dealer part that is the reason it took a long time to get it.

what am i wrong about?
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
OP, same thing happened to me. Except the shop broke mine while trying to fix something else that was wrong before I took delivery, had the car just 5 days. Bought the car Sept 1st 2010. After a week and a half of waiting for an answer they finally told me a new windshield wouldn't be available from the factory til' the middle of November. They ended up getting me a brand new car and ended up with the RS pkg for free. What a mess and the regional GM rep was useless she called once and left a message and after that I couldnt get in touch with her at all. The dealership ended up deciding to get me a replacement car.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Make sure you see paperwork stating "2011 2LT/2SS" part. They may install a regular 2011 windshield (not for HUD), or a 2010 windshield just to get you off their backs.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote