Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
AP new on OnStar

I just read this little tidbit of news and thought I would share it. While, I usually never agree with Senator Chuck Schumer,... This article does have me raising my eyebrows. Especially, the part where OnStar reserves the right to sell information, even on cancelled subscriptions, regarding speed, location, use of seatbelts, and other practices.

Here is the link http://finance.yahoo.com/news/APNews...77367.html?x=0

And here is the story for those that the link don't work on:

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- The OnStar automobile communication service used by 6 million Americans maintains its two-way connection with a customer even after the service is discontinued, while reserving the right to sell data from that connection.
U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer of New York says that's a blatant invasion of privacy and is calling on the Federal Trade Commission to investigate. But OnStar says former customers can stop the two-way transmission, and no driving data of customers has been shared or sold.
"OnStar is attempting one of the most brazen invasions of privacy in recent memory," said Schumer, a Democrat. "I urge OnStar to abandon.
But the General Motors Corp. OnStar service says customers are thoroughly informed of the new practice. If a customer says he or she doesn't want to have data collected after service is ended, OnStar disconnects the tracking.
And although OnStar reserves the right to share or sell data on customers' speed, location, use of seat belts and other practices, a spokesman says it hasn't done so and doesn't plan to.
"We apologize for creating any confusion about our terms and conditions," said Joanne Finnor, vice president of subscriber services. "We want to make sure we are as clear with our customers as possible, but it's apparent that we have failed to do this. ... We will continue to be open to their suggestions and concerns."
A week ago, OnStar changed its policy and began continuing the connection for ex-customers unless they asked for it to be discontinued.
Finnor noted keeping the two-communication active for former customers could someday allow for emergency messages to be sent even to ex-customers about severe weather or evacuations. The open line could also allow OnStar to alert drivers about warranty information or recalls, she said.
Schumer said he isn't persuaded. He said customers shouldn't have to "opt out" of the tracking after they end service. He accuses OnStar of actively deceiving customers.
Schumer is announcing the effort Sunday by releasing a letter to the Federal Trade Commission seeking an investigation.
OnStar charges about $199 a year for basic service and $299 a year for service that includes navigation aid.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Old news
Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Old news

OH,... well,.... I had seen it and it just popped up on my yahoo. Maybe I need to get out more often,...lol
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
LarryCook

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
1st I heard that Congress was also concerned.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
BertHoward

Drives: Honda CRV
Personally, I was quite devastated to hear about this news. The OnStar program by GM is very popular. The OnStar privacy policy went through significant modifications a few weeks ago. The FTC launched an investigation, which led to minor changes within the new policy. OnStar may lose some installment loan with the change.
BertHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Well whatever Onstar does in the future, just remember all your data is still there and any decisions on what to do with it would always be retro-active. People seem to have the opinion "Well, its ok, I'm not doing anythign wrong" That is wrong thinking. ALL data is useful, not just if you are guilty or not guilty of something. The gov't may in the future decide to tax you on how far you drive / driving habits for ex, anything can happen. 3rd parties could use it, etc. The point is there is a treasure of info that is being accumulated daily and will always be there. No thanks!
Nemo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
speaking of this story, any one know what fuse to pull to disable the onstar communication? i already cancelled the onstar i just don't want them to have any access to my car?
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
THere is a fuse just for OnStar, take off the fuse panel for location diagram. I have had to pull several times because my onstar hung making a call. After several miles of BEEP....BEEP....BEEP, and no radio, finally pulled over than thank goodness there was a fuse. BTW - not even turning off the car and getting out fixed it.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote