Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Silent_Edge

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
DT Shorty Headers + Injen CAI + MRT v2?

I saw and heard marley.'s crazy-sound setting with the MRT v1 combination with the DT shorty headers and Injen CAI. Has anyone had their car with a similar configuration, but opted to use the MRT v2 or some other brand of shorty headers instead? Does it still retain that same kind of sound, or is it slightly more muted? I'm practically on the fence with this one, as I'm already sold on DT headers and a CAI, but am chipping away at it. I've checked out other videos that use the v2 with another header, but still remain unsure. The real decision now comes to pulling the trigger on either MRT.
Silent_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I mean, if you want more or less volume you can always swap the H with the Magnaflow resonated X / regular X and leave / remove stock resonators depending on the volume you want. The MRT v1 probably rasps more (slightly more metallic sound) and MAY be louder. Everyone has seemed to prefer the v2, and personally my ears do as well.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Silent_Edge

Yeah, I saw the video and thought "Wow, I definitely want the v1." But, since it's my daily driver, and sits outside year-round, the thought of a constant noise leaving in the early morning to commute to work has given me consideration. I wouldn't mind the drone, but some have said when you're in the low cruising, you either hate it or love it as one who hears it as a neighbor.

I really love that chugging noise, but opinion has varied because capturing sound hasn't been a 100% full representation of actual in-person noise. I've given the v2 some more listening, especially the ones with different shorty headers and with what has been available and I'm slowly leaning in that direction. Thanks for the advice on the Magnaflow; I'll have to look into that more.

And while I still prefer the Injen CAI, I live in the Pacific Northwest, so weather isn't exactly all dry and sunshine. When it rains, it either drizzles (not an issue), or pours (sometimes, monsoon proportions on the worst days in my area, enough to actually turn certain areas into islands). I see the occasional posts about hydro-locking the engine because of the way certain CAIs draw in air, but also may draw in unfavorable things as well. Just one of those other concerns now that I'm moving to improve certain aspects of the car.

Last edited by Silent_Edge; 03-13-2020 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Simple additions, grammar
Old 03-14-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I have the DT shorties and the MRT2. With the Magnaflow x-pipe the drone doesn’t bother me like it did with the stock h-pipe. I had the Vararam intake when I was stationed in western Washington for 4 years. No issue with water or snow at all.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Magnaflow X is 11386. If you want volume, remove the stock resonators with the H pipe when you add the new X muffler. But it'll give you an even better tone. I honestly don't like V6s with true dual or H pipes. The x just lets its personality shine.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 03-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
Silent_Edge

Hey Dizzy, I'm definitely interested to hear the drone in person with the h-pipe. If I don't like it, I'll take DSX's advice with the 11386 x-pipe. First things I'll go after are the MRT v2 and the headers, followed by a budget for the CAI and option x-pipe if the drone kills me. Quite excited to hear it out.

As far as weather goes, that's good to hear a CAI wouldn't be affected by weather much.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
The DT shorties will definitely give you a deeper and louder tone and your butt dyno will feel the improvement. Another good thing is no tune required. I probably could have lived with the drone but driving 1 1/2 hours to and from work at the time really got to me. The x-pipe was immediate relief. Unless your getting water sprayed directly onto the filter a CAI won’t hydro lock.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Yeah, even the low mount intakes like the Injen are still over 8 inches above the ground I think. Looking at one of the 5" ZL1 intake threads showed the filter through the fog light bezel, which at stock ride height was 11" off the ground just at the very bottom of the filter. You have nothing to worry about with an aftermarket intake. I sometimes run my car without the water deflector on the hood insert and the only downside is the belt squeaks when it rains (so I try to avoid it, more or less).
Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Silent_Edge

On the possibility that 'could' happen, I wouldn't mind springing for a hydroshield. I've seen how those work--and given how you guys said unless the water is directly spraying the filter, I figure this would be some insurance in the event such a rarity would happen.

That being said, I'm now contemplating doing a resonator delete as an option down the line as well after revisiting the exhausts thread. This would fall somewhere after adding a CAI, if I'm not adequately satisfied enough. Not sure how much it would add more decibels--just trying to hit that sweet spot of noise I like, versus how it sounds to everyone else (neighbors, cops in WA state as per exhaust laws). So far, you guys have been pretty helpful in shaping my car's minor build.