Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #71
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZL1 View Post
Me too, Accuweather shows to be OK. Just in case, there is always the next 2 weekends also. We'll get something in for sure.
Yes we will. Let's make sure that we stay in touch leading up to it so we can grab a spot in the pits together.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #72
HammerZL1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Yes we will. Let's make sure that we stay in touch leading up to it so we can grab a spot in the pits together.
Sounds good. Got a buddy with a 2010 Challenger going out too. He's been playing with some tunes on his car. He's been using a Diablo Sport tuner. His cars computer shows him picking up a 1/2 second over his previous tune. Puts him at 13.2 at 109, you have to beat that right...
HammerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #73
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZL1 View Post
Sounds good. Got a buddy with a 2010 Challenger going out too. He's been playing with some tunes on his car. He's been using a Diablo Sport tuner. His cars computer shows him picking up a 1/2 second over his previous tune. Puts him at 13.2 at 109, you have to beat that right...
I better be able to beat that!! If not, I'm not going to be very happy
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #74
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
I better be able to beat that!! If not, I'm not going to be very happy
If you can't beat that I'll help you light the car on fire!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #75
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
If you can't beat that I'll help you light the car on fire!
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #76
zlathim

I finally finished up wiring in my N2MB WOT Box. It has 2 step launch control, no-lift shift and shift light features. The install was fairly easy. I used harness extensions for the coils, clutch switch and TPS so I didn't splice into any of the factory wiring. I'm looking forward to getting the settings all dialed in at the track. My buddy is fabbing up a shift light mount for me, so I still need to get that situated, but it should be fairly easy to install once I get the mount.

Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 03-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #77
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Zane - You've done some awesome work to your car in only a few months. Way to go sir! I love that Zach is helping you out too. He needs to talk to my 15 year old and tell him how much fun this stuff is. I can't get my lazy teenager in the garage with me. Thanks for sharing your build. This has been awesome to catch up on all you've done. Good luck at the track and get the 11 second pass you're hoping for.

Much Respect!!!

Take care buddy,

Jeff
(Fellow old man with another mid-life crisis 2010 M6 black with white stripes purchased in November last year and building a race car out of it)

Here is my YouTube channel trying to do the some of the stuff you've done so far. I'm hoping to do the suspension and bushings and drag pack just like you in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x...wPiO9JbYNgwcA/
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #78
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Zane - You've done some awesome work to your car in only a few months. Way to go sir! I love that Zach is helping you out too. He needs to talk to my 15 year old and tell him how much fun this stuff is. I can't get my lazy teenager in the garage with me. Thanks for sharing your build. This has been awesome to catch up on all you've done. Good luck at the track and get the 11 second pass you're hoping for.

Much Respect!!!

Take care buddy,

Jeff
(Fellow old man with another mid-life crisis 2010 M6 black with white stripes purchased in November last year and building a race car out of it)

Here is my YouTube channel trying to do the some of the stuff you've done so far. I'm hoping to do the suspension and bushings and drag pack just like you in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x...wPiO9JbYNgwcA/
Thanks Jeff!!! Get that boy out in the garage. I had to tear my son away from his computer games at first, but now he is a willing helper. He loves Camaros now, and he is getting his driver's license soon.

We went and looked at a 2nd generation Camaro for him last night. It is a running, driving 1976 model year with a factory 350 4bbl & 4 speed manual trans. If his mother (my ex) agrees, we will probably buy it this weekend. That's when the real fun begins with regard to his learning to work on cars!

Thanks for the link to your youtube channel. I'll check it out when I get home from work later. I've actually been thinking about doing something similar....
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #79
zlathim

I like the way the car looks with the drag wheels and tires on it. Went to the track today for the first time with this car, and the first time in 30 years with me actually racing. The day was kind of a bust because I only got 2 passes due to high number of cars.

I still need to learn how to drive the car. I am confident that I can do better than 12.7 @ 115 mph. I spun almost all the way thru 1st gear. Need to slip the clutch more I guess. That's John's (HammerZL1 on the forums) black ZL1 behind the mid life crisis. We ran heads up and he smoked me. Good times. Video is from the only other time I made a pass. I spent more time changing tires than I did making passes. Some days are like that I guess.

Watch and laugh guys. I need more practice.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes

Last edited by zlathim; 03-31-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #80
zlathim

I raced the car for the first time over the weekend. I am still working on my launches, but I'm slowly improving.

Of my 4 qualifying runs, the first 3 were 12.7X, so I was running consistent, but slower than I wanted. The last qualifying pass was 12.55. I ended up dialing in at 12.60.

I was racing 2 classes. High School Alumni and Super Shifter. My first round of eliminations was in HSA. I let off before the traps because I knew I had him beat.

You can see that I let off by looking at the 1/4 mile trap speed. I usually trap at about 115 mph.

Next up I won the first round of eliminations in Super Shifter when the other driver broke out. I ended up losing in the second round of both classes, but I ran my personal best ET of 12.472. I can now say my car has run low 12s. Of course the goal is still 11s, but I'll take what I can get at this point.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #81
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Making great progress!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #82
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Making great progress!
Thanks, Andrew! I'm feeling more confident, but still have a long way to go to become consistent.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 04-29-2019, 01:38 AM   #83
zlathim

This weekend was a double header with races on Saturday and Sunday. I raced in both Sportsman and Super Shifter classes both days. I knew I could get at least 12 passes in for the weekend even if I lost in the first round both classes both days. I need the practice, so I jumped in with both feet.

The Sportsman class is very competitive and has a lot of cars, maybe something like 30+ cars. Super Shifter is much smaller with 9 cars, but everyone is very cool and welcoming. They want more cars in the class, so they reach out to newbs like me.

The first day I was eliminated in the first round of Sportsman class. I somehow ended up winning the Super Shifter class and I felt like that broken clock that is right twice a day, but damn it didn't matter because I was on a high that kept me up until 2 am Saturday night (all adrenaline, no drugs).

Sunday morning had me dragging my tail, but we loaded up and headed back to the track. Tech inspection wasn't necessary on the 2nd day, so we had time to hit concessions for some hot bisquits and gravy. It was a cold morning, so it really hit the spot.

I was feeling confident from the win the previous day and my times looked consistent, so I only did 3 of my 4 available qualifying runs. I let the car cool down and let my Crew Chief (son) Zach, chose the opening round dial-in. He actually chose my dial in every time I changed it this weekend. The kid is getting this racing stuff and it makes me feel on top of the world.

I made it to the quarter finals (Rnd 3) of Sportsman before i was eliminated. In the meantime, I had won the first round of Super Shifter and I could smell another trophy. In the second round I was up against the 7 time season champ and patriarch of the class who has offered help and support from day 1. He red-lit in the final on Saturday, leaving me with the win. I didn't think I could beat him 2 days in a row, but he red-lit again, and I found myself in the final round of Super Shifter against the only guy in the class with a faster car than me and someone I had not raced or met prior to the final. He gave me lane choice and I asked for the right lane. I was confident and hopeful, but it usually all comes down to the light.

Double red light, but mine was -.002 so I got to bring home another trophy in the Super Shifter class today. The season points race just got interesting.

I also ran my best ET & MPH to date each day. For today: 12.205 @ 117.10 mph. I made a total of 18 passes this weekend and I feel much more comfortable with my launches. I still have improvement to make, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of things. The cool thing about Super Shifter is that it is a level playing field and anything can happen. Ask me how I know...

Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes

Last edited by zlathim; 04-29-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #84
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
This weekend was a double header with races on Saturday and Sunday. I raced in both Sportsman and Super Shifter classes both days. I knew I could get at least 12 passes in for the weekend even if I lost in the first round both classes both days. I need the practice, so I jumped in with both feet.

The Sportsman class is very competitive and has a lot of cars, maybe something like 30+ cars. Super Shifter is much smaller with 9 cars, but everyone is very cool and welcoming. They want more cars in the class, so they reach out to newbs like me.

The first day I was eliminated in the first round of Sportsman class. I somehow ended up winning the Super Shifter class and I felt like that broken clock that is right twice a day, but damn it didn't matter because I was on a high that kept me up until 2 am Saturday night (all adrenaline, no drugs).

Sunday morning had me dragging my tail, but we loaded up and headed back to the track. Tech inspection wasn't necessary on the 2nd day, so we had time to hit concessions for some hot bisquits and gravy. It was a cold morning, so it really hit the spot.

I was feeling confident from the win the previous day and my times looked consistent, so I only did 3 of my 4 available qualifying runs. I let the car cool down and let my Crew Chief (son) Zach, chose the opening round dial-in. He actually chose my dial in every time I changed it this weekend. The kid is getting this racing stuff and it makes me feel on top of the world.

I made it to the quarter finals (Rnd 3) of Sportsman before i was eliminated. In the meantime, I had won the first round of Super Shifter and I could smell another trophy. In the second round I was up against the 7 time season champ and patriarch of the class who has offered help and support from day 1. He red-lit in the final on Saturday, leaving me with the win. I didn't think I could beat him 2 days in a row, but he red-lit again, and I found myself in the final round of Super Shifter against the only guy in the class with a faster car than me and someone I had not raced or met prior to the final. He gave me lane choice and I asked for the right lane. I was confident and hopeful, but it usually all comes down to the light.

Double red light, but mine was -.002 so I got to bring home another trophy in the Super Shifter class today. The season points race just got interesting.

I also ran my best ET & MPH to date each day. For today: 12.205 @ 117.10 mph. I made a total of 18 passes this weekend and I feel much more comfortable with my launches. I still have improvement to make, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of things. The cool thing about Super Shifter is that it is a level playing field and anything can happen. Ask me how I know...

That's awesome work man! Double trophies! That's some good driving - even tougher banging your own gears! Great job!