Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Clunking/rattle noise

So, I figured I would reach out to my Camaro family to see if anyone else has had this happen to their ride and what the potential issue might be...….. 2011 SS pretty much stock..... only 30k miles on it. When driving at no particular speed I'm getting a clunking or rattling noise coming from what sounds like under or in front of my feet. Not noticeable all the time, but it seems to get worse or more prevalent when it's 55 degrees or colder outside and it doesn't seem to be just when hitting bumps in the road.... not restricted to straight roads or curves either. Somebody suggested checking my sway bar or the bushings? Car seems to run fine and no vibrations. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 AM   #2
SILVERHAWK

Guess I'm the unfortunate one with the mystery noise...… story of my life......

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 12-05-2019 at 06:38 PM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
1fast
8.60 @ 157 @ 4200lbs

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
You say mostly stock what have you done to car might help us give suggestions
Old 12-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Jack it up and crawl under it. I would check the exhaust and suspension. Maybe a fender liner?
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
SILVERHAWK

I did long tube headers and an air intake..... the only 2 mods that I've done anywhere near that area. The exhaust is tight and I don't seem to find anything loose with scoop and intake.
I was just talking with my mechanic and the shop manager a couple days ago and they said the shop manager's 2010 had " link pins" that went bad and rattled???????
Dunno….. so if I can get it in there we are gonna check them.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
SILVERHAWK

The "link pins" they spoke of are the Sway bar links on both sides is what I will be changing. Guess they aren't too expensive.....less than $50 a piece so they tell me and while I'm at it I might as well change out the sway bar bushings.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:02 AM   #7
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Jack it up and crawl under it. I would check the exhaust and suspension. Maybe a fender liner?
Well, finally got it over to the shop and up on the lift. Gave it a once over and everything seems tight....fender liner included. As we were under the car and they checking over the tie rods etc he did say he could feel something in one part, but he wasn't of the opinion that it was very slight and shouldn't cause an issue..... Took my buddy for a ride and wouldn't you know it....not able to duplicate.

Of course on the ride home I hit 3 buckles in the road and out the noise came....very short burst of rattle and this time I heard it from both sides????
Old 01-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Lot of these cars have mystery rattles. I feel your pain. I have a metallic clank every time I hit the brakes. Like a loose pad. Checked everything involving brakes. Checked all suspension parts etc.
Last week, while driving in the cold, I heard what sounds like the same issue you have. And, yes, when warmer out, it goes away. I've given up on figuring it out. When something breaks, I'll know what to fix.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Lot of these cars have mystery rattles. I feel your pain. I have a metallic clank every time I hit the brakes. Like a loose pad. Checked everything involving brakes. Checked all suspension parts etc.
Last week, while driving in the cold, I heard what sounds like the same issue you have. And, yes, when warmer out, it goes away. I've given up on figuring it out. When something breaks, I'll know what to fix.
Ha... unfortunately you are correct... if and when something breaks I'll have my answer. My only hope would be that it breaks at an opportune time so that I don't lose control or have an accident because of it. But, at least I'm not alone.
The shop manager listened to a video of the sound and wasn't convinced it's a metal on metal sound. He wants me to leave him the car overnight so he can take it out cold and see if he can hear it in person. He believes something else... not suspension.... is flapping or vibrating because when I took the video and a tractor trailer got in front of me and once I got in the truck's draft it started clanging away. My argument was that it didn't stay that way the entire time I was behind the truck and why would it be less pronounced if the car was warm or it was hot outside...above 55 deg.