Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Ravioli SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
2011 SS occasional non-starting issue

Hello everyone,

2011 LS3 with a BTR stage 2 camshaft. I had the car remote tuned last year when cam was put in but wanted to have it on the dyno and retuned this year. I brought it to a reputable shop here in southeast WI and I was happy with it except for one issue that I didn't immediately notice. It seemed every 6-8 starts the car would crank and not start and start right after. I called the shop and the owner was willing to take it in and look at it even though their tunes have a 30 day warranty and I was past this window. Fast forward to two weeks ago-- I get a call that the camaro has started each and every time the shop started it (different times throughout the day and under different conditions) and that they could find no issue. I thought 'operator error' maybe I was not letting the fuel pump prime long enough before starting and go to pick the car up. I drive down the road and stop at a taco stand and turn the car off and it no starts and then starts. I brought it back to the shop and explained what happened and they said they will have their tuner take a look at it. Luckily, it no starts and then starts while I am standing outside the car when they move it in the shop. It has now been two more weeks since this time. I got into contact with the shop last week and they told me the same thing as before--- no issues with the tune, no code and it starts every-time.

I was smart enough to take a video of this issue-- please take a look and send me your thoughts/ any ideas what the issue could be. I should also state that this did not happen one time when it was running the remote tune.

Thanks!
Ravioli SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
It would seem there’s something different between the two tunes that’s causing the issue.
Ask your tuner to compare the two tune files to find where there are differences that could be the cause. Also, was your remote tune a street tune based on data logging?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #3
Ravioli SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
It would seem there’s something different between the two tunes that’s causing the issue.
Ask your tuner to compare the two tune files to find where there are differences that could be the cause. Also, was your remote tune a street tune based on data logging?
Yes it was a street tune based on data logging. It was very close but you could tell it wasn't dialed in... the current tune is 'dialed in' minus the no-start that seems to happen only to me and thank you for the advice I will reach back out to the shop
Old 09-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
camguynj

Good luck. Post a follow up
Old 09-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Ravioli SS

Quote:
Good luck. Post a follow up
Shop:
"I'll talk to our tuner when he gets in later today. Still haven't got it to act up after what has to be at least 100 startss"

Me
"So weird. Maybe the car just hates me. Thanks man"

Shop:
"No worries, we'll talk soon."

...hopefully good news is in the future!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
camguynj

Does it happen on cold starts or only happen after "warm" starts (ie. after the car has been driven and restarted say within 10-15 mins? From what you wrote it seems like it only happens on warm starts. If that's the case did the shop elaborate what the "different conditions" were that it started each and every time ?
Old 09-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Ravioli SS

Quote:
Does it happen on cold starts or only happen after "warm" starts (ie. after the car has been driven and restarted say within 10-15 mins? From what you wrote it seems like it only happens on warm starts. If that's the case did the shop elaborate what the "different conditions" were that it started each and every time ?

It has happened to me on both cold and warm starts. At first I thought that I wasn't giving the fuel pump enough time to prime and maybe that was the issue ( I had an s10 that would just keep cranking unless you allowed the fuel pump to prime first). But it would do it if i started it right away or waited a few seconds-to a minute before i started it. Basically it has happened at car shows, in my garage at the beginning of the day, in front of a pretty girl, at the gas station... basically anywhere or anytime I've wanted to look cool. They did not elaborate on the conditions they started it under.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
Ravioli SS

6 weeks since I brought it in. I asked the shop to compare their tune to the one that was in it previously that didn’t have the issue. When I brought the camaro in it had a bbk throttle Body on it but I had them take it off and I wonder if they ever retuned it to the stock throttle body. They claim it hasn’t missed a beat but I’m skeptical. Might just go pick it up so I have it for winter. Any advice on where to take it in/around SE WI? Thanks
Old 10-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
How about putting the remote tune temporarily on just for diagnostics.. meaning load remote tune drive & see if it still happens. If not you know for sure there is an issue with the local tune. Let the shop know what you plan to do so they can save the most recent version so not to have to redo.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote