Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
^^^exhaust clamp a very common problem in retrospect.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
When I rev the car at idle, as the RPMs drop back down, I can hear a rattle type sound. I thought this was normal "back pressure" stuff, particularly in concert with the NPP flaps (fuse pulled)? Doesn't happen under any other conditions.

My supercharged Mustang made the same sound -- goose the throttle at idle, as the RPMs just start to drop back down, there was this slight metallic rattling that traveled through the exhaust. With the Mustang, I didn't know if it was normal. Then, I heard the exact same thing on this car and chalked it up as normal. Am I wrong?
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
When I rev the car at idle, as the RPMs drop back down, I can hear a rattle type sound. I thought this was normal "back pressure" stuff, particularly in concert with the NPP flaps (fuse pulled)? Doesn't happen under any other conditions.

My supercharged Mustang made the same sound -- goose the throttle at idle, as the RPMs just start to drop back down, there was this slight metallic rattling that traveled through the exhaust. With the Mustang, I didn't know if it was normal. Then, I heard the exact same thing on this car and chalked it up as normal. Am I wrong?
No exhaust rattle is normal. Not on a new car it ain't.
Make use of you warranty here. You can hear it, therefore they will hear it.
I doubt GM will have a TSB out writing, " rattle is normal".

As for the conditions of your rattle, as you would goose the throttle and let the rpm's drop...that is precisely when mine exhibited this type of noise .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #18
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter7 View Post
Sorry for the delay. Here is a snapshot of my service record. My rattle was gone for good - kudos to Capitol Chevy in Austin Hope this helps!
Cool, thanks for posting.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter7 View Post
Sorry for the delay. Here is a snapshot of my service record. My rattle was gone for good - kudos to Capitol Chevy in Austin Hope this helps!
I printed out your work order and took it in with me. Tech thanked me for the help, however, upon inspection, mine were fine. So he spent the next hour going over every inch of the exhaust, everything functioned properly. Then he pulled up a GM bulletin that finally made sense. "Techs should install 2 silicone O-rings over each of the exhaust valve springs to dampen the low RPM rattle".
My O-rings are on order. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
I printed out your work order and took it in with me. Tech thanked me for the help, however, upon inspection, mine were fine. So he spent the next hour going over every inch of the exhaust, everything functioned properly. Then he pulled up a GM bulletin that finally made sense. "Techs should install 2 silicone O-rings over each of the exhaust valve springs to dampen the low RPM rattle".
My O-rings are on order. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks for posting. Do you have a bulletin number or a copy that you could share? Pics of the areas where the I rings go would be great too.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #21
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Thanks for posting. Do you have a bulletin number or a copy that you could share? Pics of the areas where the I rings go would be great too.
i'll get as much info as possible when i go in for the o-ring install
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #22
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
I am finding they all do it! Mine got worse and worse. I put a whole long story about it on Facebook a while back. Took it in and dealer agreed that something was bad inside the system. Replaced the entire cat back NPP under warranty. As soon as they started the car...same rattle! WTF? New everything! I found gravel in the heat shield and thought that would fix it, nope. I adjusted the flap rods from the vac valves so they would not rattle, no change. It is just internal to the mufflers. I have been listening to others with NPP at shows and hear the same sound. So I guess it is just part of the system. Some say they don't hear it, but I do when I listen to THEIR car! LOL Maybe we are just too picky or hear too well!
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #23
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Mine werent bad at all. The put on HFC and it got much worse. This problem ranges from pieces of welds getting in to the exhaust to lose band clamps. I have yet to find what mine is.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #24
LT1Zob

The O-rings came in, but the tech realized it was a bulletin for Non-NPP,convertable cars. So he went back to the drawing boards. Called around and finally got an answer. Here's his explaination: There are a couple of locators spotwelded to the pipes to help line up properly during exhaust install. These locators serve no purpose after the install and usually break off after some time. Once they break off, they tend to stay held on the pipe by a metal tab that's also in the same location. He was told to slightly bend the tabs outward and let the locators fall out. Sure enough, this fixed my annoying low rpm rattle issue. I have to hand it to the guy, he took this very seriously and even offered a couple times to order a new exhaust system, but these two little locators were the problem rattling on the pipes. I'm sorry I don't know the location of these tabs on the pipes, I was out test driving a 1le when he was working on my car. Who would have thought, two almost dime sized chunks of metal could be so annoying
Old 08-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #25
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
This is one of the reasons I ordered my build without the NPP exhaust. I listened to sound clips and it sounded great, but the idea of air valves and moving parts for the exhaust worried me. I ordered the new Lower Cover (Rear Fascia) p/n 22829477 $111.68 w/$75.00 core charge at the dealership and the Corsa Performance Quad-Tip exhaust p/n 14971. It was an easy swap and everything fits perfectly. I have a couple cheesy videos on YouTube so you can hear it. I just bought a Go Pro so hopefully I can add some better videos soon.
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #26
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Are there any videos of this sound? I believe I may have this sound now.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #27
RobMan

Drives: 15 Summit White 1LE
Great timing on the resurrection of this thread. My 2015 that has 1K miles on it has been doing this and it drives me nuts. I guess I will be taking it in to the dealer soon.
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #28
SS MoFo

Drives: 2014 SS/RS 1LE
Daily Driving with NPP here and I get different sounds and rattles intermittently at different temperatures. After a couple years, I suspect most of the baffling has been removed from the mufflers and it's causing some weird sounding resonance in warmer temps. I thought I heard a pop from around one of the catalytic converters the other day LOL
When I lift the car the entire exhaust is cold and feels secured to the engine and hangars.
A guy at a local shop mentioned getting all the pipes spot tig welded together... not sure on this recommendation but it might help.
SS MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote