Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
cstproductions

Drives: Future 1LT IBM Camaro
V6 auto burnout confusion?

People are saying that they can only do a burnout with one wheel in the auto? Someone wanna straighten things out for me?

cstproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
is the auto peglegged? i thought it wasnt
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Limited slip differential. Something that is missing in the Auto V6 models.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
cstproductions

Drives: Future 1LT IBM Camaro
Explain it to a "noob" please

cstproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Um, how about this...

Quote:
As a layman, I only need to kind of know what an LSD is and how it works. In a car there is a point at which the axles meet together in conjunction with the drive shaft. The drive shaft comes directly from the transmission and is spinning. The differential then transfers the power to the axles and gets the wheels turning. Essentially, the inside tire is supposed to turn slower or at a different speed than the outside tire during a turn, hence “differential”. This action allows the vehicle to make a smooth turn.

Now in a standard run-of-the-mill differential, if one tire does not have grip then all of the power is transferred to that one tire. This would seem to make sense at first, until you get into a slick situation from a stop. Like what happened to me a couple of years ago when I got stuck in the snow because one tire was on ice and one was on rough dirt. The ice tire breaks loose super quick and just keeps spinning while the tire that has traction just stays still. Took me several hours for me to get home. Another example is if you are at an intersection and your tires are in a puddle or on the white crosswalk line, you start to go and your tire slips on the thick white line of paint and your engine revs to the limit, but your car doesn’t go anywhere.

This is where a Limited Slip Differential can help. An LSD serves the function of linking your two wheels together when one of them starts to slip. So in the snow both of my tires would have moved and I would have been capable of getting out and down the mountain faster. Or at the stop light my tire with grip would have compensated for my tire without grip and I would have gotten off of the line at the green light.

That is all great in a straight line, from a stop or even when turning. For instance with a normal differential, if you are in a turn and your weight shifts to the outside of the turn you lose a lot of grip on the inside tire. But if you have power to both tires, then you can keep accelerating through the turn. This can help in rough conditions for sure and is just one reasons why an LSD can be a great handling feature, but there is more.

There is another feature to the LSD that is definitely not necessarily good for safety. If you are in a turn and you happen to break BOTH of the tires loose, then the same thing will happen that happened to me on the snow or strip of paint. Your car will have no traction at all and you will slide or spin out. Of course, if you are trying to slide then you can call it drifting and it is super freaking fun.

Here's some basic info on standard (non LSD) differentials that will help make the info above a bit clearer.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
both wheels spin just fine (a6)....tried it once.......tires are a little pricey
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
both wheels spin just fine (a6)....tried it once.......tires are a little pricey
V6 Autos have an open diff.

If both tires have EQUAL traction then yes, you can get both tires to spin. But if one tire looses traction that tire will be the one that spins...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Jozef

Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
The M6 has an awesome tendency to slip out the rear end on you when you step on it-even slightly in corners.

Kind of awesome.
Jozef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Great vid, Rolnslo, thanks. I haven't tried to do a burnout in Rosie yet. Any pointers?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenCamaroChick View Post
Great vid, Rolnslo, thanks. I haven't tried to do a burnout in Rosie yet. Any pointers?
Why would you want to burn up Rosie's $421.ea. tires ? ...
They have a short life as it is, treadwear is only 220.

If you want to get the Fastest takeoff...Put it in sport mode with the traction control ON and floor it. You will burn very little rubber.....
To brake & gas it you will have a slower takeoff & burn up those tires.

PS ..I am guessing Rosie has an auto.........

Last edited by 97one; 10-02-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add PS
97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post
The M6 has an awesome tendency to slip out the rear end on you when you step on it-even slightly in corners.

Kind of awesome.
Lots of fun Gonna have to watch that this winter though
Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Camaro-Teskey
BlackonBlack

Drives: 2010 Blk Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post

Kind of awesome.

The rain is really fun too
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
nickruta

Drives: 2010 black camaro
Can someone supply us with a video of a v6 doing some kind of burnout because i cant find anything decent I don't expect burning rubber and smoke but maybe some fishtail or a nice hard takeoff chirping second gear, is this possible? I HOPE!
nickruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
blkcamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...t=VCLP0597.flv

A6 V6 enjoy