Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #43
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
These are the cars I wanted when I first started driving........

But this is the car I drove until i was about 19 or 20

Last edited by pinkcamaro10; 06-07-2009 at 12:06 AM.
pinkcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #44
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
My car nut spark came from the 1969 corvette L88. But my camaro spark came after my senior year. I was going into the national guard and planned to used my 20k sign on bonus to buy a 69 project I'd seen for sale (it was 14,900 and needed little work. The other 5k was to go to new paint and a fuel injection conversion for the 350 it had.) - I knew I wouldn't want to drive it in bad weather so I was looking for a 3.8 V6 camaro to beat on. I found one for 4,000 not too far away so we went to go look at it. I'm glad I brought my stepdad along. He's a ASE master tech, and his eye caught what mine didn't.

It had wonderful paint - a new job, green with a bit of pearl that almost made it look dark blue from certain angles. I loved it instantly, and would have bought it then and there, with no test drive. But my stepdad wanted to take it out. He drove because I was still learning stick (I knew how to drive stick at the time, but not well enough to trust myself with the dealer's car - you break it, you buy it, right?) and he commented on a wobble in the shifter. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but he thought it was odd. When we got it back to the dealer, we squeezed under it and had a look around, including a closer look around the outside. Apparently somebody had wrapped it around a pole and repaired it. Hence the new paint. The frame was bent horribly - the corner of the windshield was sticking out a little bit! I was devastated.

We went home. My mom knew I was upset. A few days later, she called me while I was at work and said "If you're still interested in a Camaro... I know where you might be able to get one, if you want to go by after work and look at it..." It was older than what I was looking for, and she thought I might not like it. But it was worth a look, and it only had 90000 miles.

It turned out to be a 1986 IROC.

We took it for a test drive and it ran ok, but needed a new carb desperately. We talked it over for a little while and I decided to buy it. Went to the credit union and took out a loan for 2,000 and picked up the car. Had the new carb (a new edelbrock 650) in a few days later and did my first major work on a car. Before that the hardest thing I had ever done was an oil change. I fell in love with that car. Its a bond that will probably never break, even though I had to sell the car. I regret that sale every single day. EVERY one. I wish I had kept it and just scraped together to pay the insurance on the two cars. I absolutely want to own another camaro some day. The new camaro reminds me of my 86 in a lot of ways... Ways I'm sure only a former IROC owner would understand. This car captures more than just the 1969 turned retro. Its a true camaro, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Xanthos will be born again, and, this time, I'm never going to let him go.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #45
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
This

and this

Pink , I used to have a 79 vette , black , used to take my son to ele school in all his friend used to call it the battmobil

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #46
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
You guys will hate me for this but my best friends 07' GT
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #47
68 Z/28
Father Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
My car nut spark came from the 1969 corvette L88. But my camaro spark came after my senior year. I was going into the national guard and planned to used my 20k sign on bonus to buy a 69 project I'd seen for sale (it was 14,900 and needed little work. The other 5k was to go to new paint and a fuel injection conversion for the 350 it had.) - I knew I wouldn't want to drive it in bad weather so I was looking for a 3.8 V6 camaro to beat on. I found one for 4,000 not too far away so we went to go look at it. I'm glad I brought my stepdad along. He's a ASE master tech, and his eye caught what mine didn't.

It had wonderful paint - a new job, green with a bit of pearl that almost made it look dark blue from certain angles. I loved it instantly, and would have bought it then and there, with no test drive. But my stepdad wanted to take it out. He drove because I was still learning stick (I knew how to drive stick at the time, but not well enough to trust myself with the dealer's car - you break it, you buy it, right?) and he commented on a wobble in the shifter. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but he thought it was odd. When we got it back to the dealer, we squeezed under it and had a look around, including a closer look around the outside. Apparently somebody had wrapped it around a pole and repaired it. Hence the new paint. The frame was bent horribly - the corner of the windshield was sticking out a little bit! I was devastated.

We went home. My mom knew I was upset. A few days later, she called me while I was at work and said "If you're still interested in a Camaro... I know where you might be able to get one, if you want to go by after work and look at it..." It was older than what I was looking for, and she thought I might not like it. But it was worth a look, and it only had 90000 miles.

It turned out to be a 1986 IROC.

We took it for a test drive and it ran ok, but needed a new carb desperately. We talked it over for a little while and I decided to buy it. Went to the credit union and took out a loan for 2,000 and picked up the car. Had the new carb (a new edelbrock 650) in a few days later and did my first major work on a car. Before that the hardest thing I had ever done was an oil change. I fell in love with that car. Its a bond that will probably never break, even though I had to sell the car. I regret that sale every single day. EVERY one. I wish I had kept it and just scraped together to pay the insurance on the two cars. I absolutely want to own another camaro some day. The new camaro reminds me of my 86 in a lot of ways... Ways I'm sure only a former IROC owner would understand. This car captures more than just the 1969 turned retro. Its a true camaro, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Xanthos will be born again, and, this time, I'm never going to let him go.
- Xanthos
Hope you get that 10 soon X , i'm rooting for ya

Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #48
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Was born into it, dad had a body shop. I've seen a lot of cool cars, but he taught me at an early age if you're gonna fall in love, make sure it's with a woman, not a car
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #49
68 Z/28
Father Time

Hiya all Seeing and hearing about alot of cool cars here some of you are posting the first car you owned which is cool , and some are posting the car that made them fall in love with cars in the first place , their dream cars , which is also cool and the true intention of this thread . But either way nice to see and hear about all of your favorite rides and keep the good stuff coming , Great stuff

Old 06-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #50
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
A 1981 Camaro Z28. My dad bought it when I was 13 and gave it to me for my 16th birthday. I was a car lover, and camaro lover from the day he brought it home.

Name:  bjydqxyagcys.jpg
Views: 18499
Size:  46.8 KB
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #51
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
bored so ill bite

I was never really THAT into cars. i thought they looked cool no doubt but it was my sister (who is two years younger that was into them). Her and my dad would go to car shows together and mostly i just wouldnt care. then about 8 years ago I was watching a bond movie and saw the aston martin that he drove and that was it. Even today i cant tell you anything spec wise about an aston martin but wow is it nice. But i will say it inspired me to take intro. to the internal combustion engine as I went through college (just finished last year with a degree in mech E) and now.... I cant just stop looking at cars. I have to be honest most of the older cars do nothing for me, other than the 2nd gen corvettes. but give me time. that said once i get my baby in the next month its going to take everything in my power to not use what i learned in my engineering class to tweak with her.

oh here is a picture of the martin.

This is why I say "If there was a James Bond of North America, he'd be driving a Silver 2010 Camaro SS!"

I'm a big Bond fan, and a big fan of the Vanquish!

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #52
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I'm going to be honest.

This is the first car that I loved. Then a month later I found out about this thing called a corvette.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #53
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
My Dad's 1979 Z/28. And the fact that my mother also owned 3 Camaros (68 69 and 78)

Unfortunately the '79 was the last one sold, and left one year before I was born. As such, I've NEVER ridden in or driven a Camaro until my test drive of the 2LT at DeNooyer.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #54
68 Z/28
Father Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
My Dad's 1979 Z/28. And the fact that my mother also owned 3 Camaros (68 69 and 78)

Unfortunately the '79 was the last one sold, and left one year before I was born. As such, I've NEVER ridden in or driven a Camaro until my test drive of the 2LT at DeNooyer.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #55
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Name:  Chrysler_ME412_side.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  61.2 KB

When i saw the prototype of the ME412 online i spent close to a week reading everything i could about cars.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #56
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z/28 View Post
Well, I'd have to dig up the 68 pic but she never had pics of the 69 or 78. They weren't anything special, base V6 automatic coupes. Never owned a camera at that point either. But, she did have the fender emblem and steering wheel from the 69 after it was wrecked by a friend. No pics of those either because they were "lost in transition" when we moved from one house to another (I was 5).

79 Z never had any exterior shots, but I do have one with him sitting in it sometime in '81.
Attached Images

Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote