Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #29
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
after early change i put in a magnetic oil drain screw .so if any other particles fall free it will stick to magnet
except the aluminum from the heads.....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #31
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
except the aluminum from the heads.....

yeah and the mobil 1 on the cap is kinda a dead give away but the SS only gets that though lol
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #32
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
are we saying we cant mix and match .spoke to alot of guys at car shows they like purple over mobil 1 . and they all drive high end cars . if you guys don't agree with purple i will switch, did not do change yet . still can return
I came across this :http://www.roadcarvin.com/tech/synth...ngine-break-in

I have the V6 which is not factory fill with synthetic. I changed the oil/filter at 1000mi. then I will again at 2000 mi.
At 3000 mi I will be switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic changing the oil/filter at least every 4500-5000 mi. ... I might even use the OLM sometimes and see where that takes me ( mileage wise )..

Last edited by fee5fofum; 07-20-2009 at 10:35 PM.
fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #33
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
How about:

1) Someone with a V-6 pop their hood and verify that the "Mobil 1" sticker is/is not there.

2) Send a sample of your "used" motor oil to Blackstone Labs after you have supposedly "used its life up" at 3000 miles. You'll be surprised at what they say and how they verify and back up what they are showing you. (You are wasting your money changing your oil at 3K). Qualifier...I'm not talking about the first 1500 miles here. I have my own strong opinions about that. I mean after the initial 1500 miles.

3) Learn the difference between type 3 and type 4 synthetic. Amaze your friends.

4) Don't believe a word I say. I'm full of crap.

John B.
Agree w/ this post completely....I have been using Blackstone Labs for year....I don't have time to debate here, but they could really help you track your samples, and they are very knowledgable....
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #34
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Just changed mine mine today at 1400 miles. Changed to Mobil 1. It had felt like it was riding a little rough the last few times I drove it as my wife drives is mostly so I thought it was a good time to make the change. It feels great now. I think 1200 to 1500 miles is a good timeframe for the initial change. I am going to do the same thing with my 2SS when she gets here too I think.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #35
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
This was an excellent debate and fact finding thread. Thanks to all for the input and validation on many of my questions.

I have been a Royal Purple guy for my current 2, and one previous import. I plan to stick with Mobile-1 100% when my 1SS arrives.

Kudos!!!
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
to reiterate...

Break in procedures in the owners manual call for the oil to be changed after 1500 miles.

the V8 Camaro's come with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil from the factory
the V6's come with Mobil Clean 5000

after your first oil change at 1500 miles, reset the OLM (oil life monitor) and follow it and/or your warranty guidelines on changing the oil. if the warranty guidelines say to change it before 6000miles and the OLM says you are still at 60%, get it changed. If you are at 4500 miles and the OLM says you are at 20%.... get it changed.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #37
Jeffsss

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
First oil change

I have read the owner's manual cover to cover and it does not state the change the original oil at 1500 miles. Did I miss a page? If so, please point out the page as I may need to consider an oil change. Currently at 1600 miles.
Jeffsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #38
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Jeff - my dealer's shop told me to use the oil life monitor for changing, first change or not.
There is nothing, as you've identified, that states oil needs to be changed early on first change. On a new car however, there are still alot parts 'breaking in' and seating properly, which increases initial wear on parts and contaminates the oil a bit more than a routine change later in the engines life. Therefore, chaning it early will maintain the engine clean and a smooth break in. This is not stated, nor apparently outlined by Chevy, but many here have expereince with engines and new cars, etc. and the ebenfit of their experience is a good idea to use.
It'll only cost an additional few dollars in comparison to the return, plus an early cahnge, even if NOT needed, can hurt nothing.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #39
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Yep, I will be changing my oil at 500 miles and getting to know my Camaro a little better by changing it myself.

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #40
Blueyes64

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
I own a 2011 V/R Camaro SS. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change at 1K miles. The service manager laughed and said "You have synthetic Mobil 1 in this engine. I don't need to see you for another 4K miles, then thereafter about every 9K miles." I dunno, It makes me a little nervous. I going on faith that the GM engineers say 9K but I'm gonna change every 7-7 1/2 K miles. Staying with Mobil 1. Dealer charges $94.99 with 8 quart synthetic Mobil 1 change. Not really any higher than my conventional oil change on my truck, just twice as often to change my truck's oil.
Blueyes64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes64 View Post
I own a 2011 V/R Camaro SS. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change at 1K miles. The service manager laughed and said "You have synthetic Mobil 1 in this engine. I don't need to see you for another 4K miles, then thereafter about every 9K miles." I dunno, It makes me a little nervous. I going on faith that the GM engineers say 9K but I'm gonna change every 7-7 1/2 K miles. Staying with Mobil 1. Dealer charges $94.99 with 8 quart synthetic Mobil 1 change. Not really any higher than my conventional oil change on my truck, just twice as often to change my truck's oil.
Dude, way to resurrect a long dead, year-old thread!!!!!! But, at least your doing a search for your questions, and I'm sure this old thread came up. So, gotta give you props for at least doing a search, that's more than most new guys do!!!
As for the oil, you will get a hundred different opinions on when to change it. Just to be safe, (in my own opinion) I would change out the factory oil after about the first 1500 miles, just to get any nasty stuff out of there that occured during break-in. After that, just follow the "DIC" (Driver Info Center), it will tell you when you need to change the oil. And if you have any mechanical abilities at all (and car ramps) do it your self, you'll save alot of money!! A 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart is about $22-$23.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #42
Lil Nix

Drives: summit white camaro ls
Just got a oil change, but my car is still telling me I need a oil change soon.. Will this go away with time?
Lil Nix is offline   Reply With Quote