Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #29
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would say suspension and exhaust first. I switched to a combination of 1le and z28 parts and the difference from stock is night and day. Suspension first, that will leave you money to upgrade your exhaust and will give you a solid platform to put money into your engine in the future.

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #30
Inferno dogg

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
DD
No race
500 rwhp
US made preferred
Don't care about warranties on parts
L99

Ok, with that list of what you have in mind, here's some options:

American made headers will cost $1,000-$1,500 and be warrantied for life. Headers in general should be on your must have mod list. Check the classifieds here for some nice gently used set of American made headers (Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works) and you can get them for about the price of the Chinese headers new.

Many companies like BMR and others for suspension make parts in the US but remember when working with the suspension, depending on what you get, your ride quality will suffer. As a DD this may not be the way you want to go, but some pieces either aren't that noticeable of a ride difference or don't change how you perceive the ride that would bother you on a DD.

To get to 500rwhp on an automatic car you're either going to have to go with forced induction or a giant cam with head work and even then you may end up just shy of 500rwhp. Power train loss SUCKS for us auto guys. When I get my cam this year I'm looking at being just ahead of my buddy with bolt ons for horsepower numbers at the wheel. I'll destroy him in a race, because the numbers are just numbers, but it is something to brag about if you're just at a show and not at the track.

For a DD car with what you're looking at, I'd recommend 1 7/8" long tube headers, ported throttle body (contact Bo White on here, he awesome at porting throttle bodies!), cold air intake, tune, and if there's money left over at minimum an axle back exhaust or catback if there's enough left in the pot. For brands, my vote is for Kooks, Bo White throttle body, Roto-fab intake (or CAI), and Solo Performance for exhaust. Happy modding!
Thanks so much.My computer is down and I was typing on a dang smart tv with the remote LOL!!!Only thing I miss spoke on is it is not a DD.So looks like I will be giving Dynosteve a call for the tune,headers and suspention upgrade.Might be a bit over budget but who needs to eat when you need camaro parts right?

I have another question about headers. Without opening up a can of worms Kooks or Texas speed? Seems to be a big price difference.Is there a big quality difference?
Inferno dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #31
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno dogg View Post
Thanks so much.My computer is down and I was typing on a dang smart tv with the remote LOL!!!Only thing I miss spoke on is it is not a DD.So looks like I will be giving Dynosteve a call for the tune,headers and suspention upgrade.Might be a bit over budget but who needs to eat when you need camaro parts right?

I have another question about headers. Without opening up a can of worms Kooks or Texas speed? Seems to be a big price difference.Is there a big quality difference?
I was debating between those two when I bought mine originally. Texas Speed makes a good header, but they're Chinese made. I have chosen to buy American made parts for my car across the board so I opted for Kooks. The long term benefit of Kooks is that if there ever is a problem with them, they are guaranteed for life. Yes you will pay more, but they're a quality product that rarely ever has any fitment issues and if they do they will send you a new header without hassle. Texas Speed occasionally will have issues with some of their headers fitting 100%. I've mainly seen it with their 2" headers, but occasionally their 1 7/8" header will have one that sneaks out a little off too. Their warranty I believe is 2 years but if you don't plan on owning the car for the rest of your life like I do with mine I would probably opt for these, OBX, or Stainless Power to save a few bucks for later upgrades.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #830 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #32
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Op if your going to tour around town...have a little fun here and there just get yourself a nice sounding catback to start. The nice rumble of a v8 will bring a smile to your face everytime. Add a set of Stainless longtube headers a decent cai with a Dyno steve tune and your done. Ptb suspension and thats stuff you can do later. Im sure Dyno Steve can set you up with all of this.

K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #33
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Heads, Cam, Gears, Exhaust...
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #34
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:

There are a ton of guys running the cheaper brands with excellent results. Its your money so get the most you can from it. There is no power difference between headers brands. For $ 2500 you should be good for headers ..catback ...cai and tune. You might spend a bit more. But those 4 mods are the most popular for a reason.

K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #35
Inferno dogg

Thanks so much guys!!!Kooks headers Roto Fab cai. and something cat back with Dynosteve tune!!!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #36
Inferno dogg

Crap I have to bug you guys more.High flow cats or catless???
Old 05-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #37
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have the 1 7/8 TSP long tubes and high flow cats and I love them, awesome for the money.
My recommendation
TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats
Cold air intake
3.91 rear end gears
Tune
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, 850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #38
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #830
Quote:
Catless will have more rasp and will have more of a rotten egg smell from the unburnt fuel. The power difference is about 1-2rwhp difference so there's really no performance advantage from going catless unless you have high boost levels from forced induction. At that point you're better off catless because you'll likely melt the cats with the high boost.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #830 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #39
13SSCamaro

I did catless with my Corsa Exhaust and TSP long tube headers and that lasted about a month. It was way to loud and very raspy as well as it smelled horrible when sitting at a light. It ended up costing more to add the high flow cats after. So do them first and save your money
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, 850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #40
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
CAI, exhaust, 3.91 gears and a tune. Best starting mods for the $$!

Taylortoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #41
Talladega

Quote:
Do you need cats for emissions where you live?
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #42
Inferno dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
Do you need cats for emissions where you live?
No I live in Michigan and we do not have emission testing here