Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
My camaro hit a mercedes

Alright I will claim the 3rd or 4th fender bender. today I went to go get tint. Car came out and was tinted, it looked great. So I hop in the car and start it up. I look down to situate somethings and let off the clutch. (this all happened in a split second) felt the car moving, and soon as i could get the breaks bam car hits a tricked out mercedes at the tint shop. My heart sank, i backed up and got out expecting the worse. Well did a quick glance at the mercedes and nothing visible. Went to look at my car and there was some scratches on the nose piece. After further inspection the lower grill had snapped out. At this point im still feeling sick. So I snapped the lower grill back in and everything is sturdy. I start to kind of slowly rub the scratches out and see they are starting to come out. I got home today and waxed the shit out of the front end. Bam scratches gone, looks like new. Lucky i did react and hit the breaks and the e brake was on.

Heres the lesson to be learned. They parked the camaro front end to front end about 5-10ft apart. Second thing i always leave the clutch in N and use E brake. I hoped in and with habit thought it would be like that, Nope it was in 1st gear and thats why it went forward. Always check the stick when you get in a car no matter what.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
This isn't the troll on 5thgen who supposedly smashed the door at a McDonalds drive through and poured windshield wiper fluid into the oil tank is it?

lol
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Well at least your lucky on the damage, manual transmissions require your disipline.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Well atleast all is well. Congrats on the new car by the way.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
You need to pay better attention to your driving procedures.your lucky someone was not between vehicles.don't operate any vehicle with HUA...by the way enjoy the car...hope you notified Benz owner
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
The Riz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I had a similar battle with the wall/door to my house in my garage in my old car. I normally do the same as you with the e-brake and neutral. But my brakes were sticking in the cold weather so I left it in 1st. Woke up the next day, went to start my car to warm it up and lurched right into the house. No real damage to the car (the license plate bracket caught the brunt of the contact), but it damaged the doorframe into my house so that the door didn't want to shut all the way.

Now I have an OCD disorder before I take my foot off the clutch to tap the stick to make sure it's in neutral.
The Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riz View Post
Now I have an OCD disorder before I take my foot off the clutch to tap the stick to make sure it's in neutral.
That's so true, out of habit i always shake the stick back and forth 3-4 times till my brain says it's in neutral and then let the clutch out.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Doah. Yea I have done that parking downtown back in the day. Don't tell anyone.

Starting RX7 in 1st gear. The 1st gen's would really fly from just the starter motor they where so light.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
That's so true, out of habit i always shake the stick back and forth 3-4 times till my brain says it's in neutral and then let the clutch out.
That's what I do. Whenever I put my car in neutral, I rock the stick back and forth a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Alright I will claim the 3rd or 4th fender bender. today I went to go get tint. Car came out and was tinted, it looked great. So I hop in the car and start it up. I look down to situate somethings and let off the clutch. (this all happened in a split second) felt the car moving, and soon as i could get the breaks bam car hits a tricked out mercedes at the tint shop. My heart sank, i backed up and got out expecting the worse. Well did a quick glance at the mercedes and nothing visible. Went to look at my car and there was some scratches on the nose piece. After further inspection the lower grill had snapped out. At this point im still feeling sick. So I snapped the lower grill back in and everything is sturdy. I start to kind of slowly rub the scratches out and see they are starting to come out. I got home today and waxed the shit out of the front end. Bam scratches gone, looks like new. Lucky i did react and hit the breaks and the e brake was on.

Heres the lesson to be learned. They parked the camaro front end to front end about 5-10ft apart. Second thing i always leave the clutch in N and use E brake. I hoped in and with habit thought it would be like that, Nope it was in 1st gear and thats why it went forward. Always check the stick when you get in a car no matter what.
So did you leave your insurance information?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
the benz owner was in the worked at the shop he was satisfied nothing happened. He was more worried about the camaro. I told him it was my stupidity that i didnt check but he was sorry the kid put it in gear
Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Learn to always put the car in first or reverse (depending on the incline). Don't trust the e brake to hold, I know several people who came out on the losing end in that situation. You'll get used to making sure it's in neutral before you release the clutch.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
I would have left a note on the windshield that said: "Now that we have the camaro, we don't need no Chuck Norris to kick your asses".
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Lets be honest with the title here: Your Camaro didn't exactly decide to hit the Mercedes all on its very own now did it? That's all you. Heh, sorry to give you a hard time, especially after damaging the car.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote