Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Rhyno

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Rhyno
2012 Camaro SS thinks it is always in reverse

I have a 2012 2SS/RS M6 with the factory backup camera. I backed out of a parking space yesterday afternoon and the camera view came on the mirror as usual. When I left down the road I happened to notice (about 30-40 seconds later) that the rear camera view was still in my mirror. I got to the stop sign at the end of that road and when I started to creep forward after stopping the car beeped (like it does when you first put it in Reverse).

I shut the car off and started it back up, took it out of gear, put it in reverse and back out...nothing would make the camera view go away. I decided to head home and check out, but then about 5 minutes or so down the road it went away. The beeping at ever stop did not, however. I also noticed that the whole time I'm driving the reverse lights are on (I stopped at one point to check).

So apparently the computer system thinks I am in reverse in some way. Has anyone else heard of this? I searched bulletins and this site as well as others and only found one forum post that was similar and that person said it happened right after a tune. There was one post though and no comments or other activity on that post. I do have a custom Janetty tune, but have for like 4 years now and haven't changed it.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Maybe the reverse lockout sensor is stickin and causin this....also run a scanner on it and see if any non-cel codes have been recorded...good luck...
Old 10-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Rhyno

Ran a scan and don't see any codes. Not sure if my scanner displays non-cel codes, though to be honest. Tried reverting back to stock on the tune and that didn't fix it. I also tried going down the road and see if it would let me put the shifter in reverse and it does not, so the lockout (at least the mechanical part of it) is working as it should. Very strange. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm stumped. Is there a fuse for this I could check, maybe?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Rhyno

seeing other posts about the backup switch. Going to check that next. Anybody have a picture of where that is on the transmission to make it easier to find?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Rhyno

Any brilliant ideas on how to remove the backup switch? The angle it's at I can't get a wrench around it. Not enough room.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Rhyno

Replacing backup switch was the issue and replacing it solved the problem. Need to use a 60 degree angle head open end wrench, 22mm. Had to order one online...it's not one that is available at your typical local auto parts store.

Backup Switch

Wrench

Relatively easy replacement. Can only turn it about a quarter turn at a time, so takes a little patience. Just remember that the connector is attached so be careful that it doesn't get bound up in the process of spinning around up in there and pull apart.

Tags
camera, mirror, reverse, transmission