Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
derieu
Engineer

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Misc Suspension Stuff + Cipher Harness Bar Question

Hey guys, I am going to be modifying my 14 SS 1LE, I was wondering what you racing guys thought about this build? The car is a street car that will see 3 track days a year.

Also, I am looking to purchase a cipher harness bar as well as fabricating a custom tank-plate to use 6 point harnesses with the factory recaros, can anybody comment on this setup?

Suspension:
Extended 7mm GM Wheel Studs
5mm front wheel spacer
BMR 1" Lowering springs, V8 Front, V6 Rear (Near Identical rates to DSE Springs)
Pegasus Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings
Pegasus Camber/Caster Plates
JPSS Front Caster Locks
JPSS Front Radius Rod Insert
Larger Lobe Front Camber Eccentric
Larger Lobe Rear Camber Eccentric
Z28 Solid Rear Upper Control Arm Mount
Spherical Rear Trailing Arm
Spherical Rear Toe Rod
32mm Solid Rear Bar

Base Alignment:
-1.5 Degrees Front Camber
Max Caster
.15 toe out each wheel front
-.75 rear camber rear
.05 toe-in each wheel rear

Brakes:
Z06 Front Calipers
Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
Stainless Brake Lines Front + Rear
DBA 4000 XS Series Rotors + XP650 Pads
Titanium Brake Shims

My goal with this setup is to have a streetable car with track capabilities, I am going to be giving the Kumho Ecsta PS91 tires a shot for street tires, in the future I will have a dedicated 200tw or lower tire. But considering I do not track the car very often, I want to give a high-performance summer tire a shot.

Last edited by derieu; 02-04-2017 at 04:44 PM.
derieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
I like the foundation-al mods you are doing. This will be a good platform regardless of future mods. I'd skip the "Larger Front Lobe Camber Eccentric" as this car uses a separate adjuster screw above the clevis bolts. I'd recommend some way to tune the balance of the car a bit more directly as you are changing quite a bit regarding chassis behavior.

I.E. adjustable bars/dampers/springs. If more budget minded Koni Yellows are a good choice and should work decent with the BMR springs you've already chosen. There are plenty of coilover and adjustable bar options out there.

I can't comment too much on the brakes outside of you may not necessarily "need" the Z06 calipers. ZL1/CTS-V or aftermarket bolt-on solutions would work fine. Many get away with the stock calipers. I would supplement what you are doing with cooling ducts regardless.

Good segway into the wheels/tires. I would highly recommend a dedicated set. If not, you can give the PS91 a go. I have no experience with them. I'd get something stickier.

Alignment - it really comes down to how much tire wear you want to tolerate. What you have is pretty solid for a street car.

Cheers,

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Instead of the Cipher bar, Give the Brey-Krause harness bar a look. More expensive, but much better built and engineered. Installs just as simply, but provides a much better platform.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
derieu
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Instead of the Cipher bar, Give the Brey-Krause harness bar a look. More expensive, but much better built and engineered. Installs just as simply, but provides a much better platform.
I 100% agree, and when the funds are available I would probably upgrade in the future. But the $400 difference for my track experience level (novice), I think that $400 can be put into the rest of the suspension instead at the moment.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Polyurethane versus Solid Subframe mounts?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
With no mention of fitting wider front wheels (so you can go with wider tires without sacrificing response) I don't see any need for spacers.

Norm
Old 02-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
derieu
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
With no mention of fitting wider front wheels (so you can go with wider tires without sacrificing response) I don't see any need for spacers.

Norm
I plan on going with wider front tires in the future, and want to make the existing front wheels closer to "flush" with my modified Z06 Front fender flares that I currently have on the car.

From my reading, increasing the front track width also may slightly increase high speed stability and turning feel?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Anything wider than your OE 285/35's would then be on minimum-width wheels, not exactly the hot tip for track or autocross (outside of SCCA's Street Category, anyway). I know I'd be borrowing at least the wheel width from either the Z/28 or the GT350 here.

Norm
Old 02-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I have the Cipher harness bar and it does a great job of keeping you in place. I would recommend wearing your seat belt when you use your harness though. The Cipher bar is not the most secure feeling.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I have the Cipher harness bar and it does a great job of keeping you in place. I would recommend wearing your seat belt when you use your harness though. The Cipher bar is not the most secure feeling.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by derieu View Post
I plan on going with wider front tires in the future, and want to make the existing front wheels closer to "flush" with my modified Z06 Front fender flares that I currently have on the car.

From my reading, increasing the front track width also may slightly increase high speed stability and turning feel?
If you go with a wider front tire and wheel to increase front track you will reduce understeer if you run a similar rear tire and wheel combination. I use Forgelines without spacers, 19x11.5 rear and 19x11 front 305/30/19 RE71 currently the hot setup.

You'll get better turn in by using toe out up front.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote